General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: ] #655367
03/28/08 05:36 PM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
 Originally Posted By: ADC

I still say the laminations and center swiveling don't help to stop pull outs unless you add stronger springs... etc... They are just good PR and easier on the animals should you decide to sell the feet. (live market, taxidermy, etc...)

Oh and Blak, you agree then that wide flat surfaces like on the cast jaws of the MB550 and 650C reduce the holding power of the traps? \:D

~ADC~

I ran lams on #3 Bridgers 2 coiled for a couple years with no pullouts.Started with the 4 coils last year to hold that occasional oddball catch like elbows.

As far as the newer cast jaw traps,their built to hold,adequate spring strength for the setup and locking levers. I could see slipping when springs are getting weak. As for the older cast jaw double longs their jaws flexed too much. Sent you a pm.

I like your diagram on the swivel point. Either one is good just as long as there off the bottom. That stock side swiveling isn't very good out of the corner of the trap, it doesn't always swivel freely.Off the bottom whether at the end of the base with a swivel or center is best IMO.

If your still not convinced about the lams,send me a doz. I'll do them for you no charge and try them out.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: possum5676] #655368
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Good post Possum...longer checks and animal comfort...and not having to pick up all those pieces (older model traps) are good reasons to laminate.
I would add that extended chains to 18 inches as said by Mr. O'G and others has proven best for me.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: MChewk] #655460
03/28/08 06:28 PM
03/28/08 06:28 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Most summer caught ADC coyotes on extended checks melt down before the traps are even checked. So much for animal comfort. And we all know It happens just that way.

What i have done on most of my dry land canine and cat traps Is to weld a large chain link flat to the bottom of the trap frame. This link sticks out about 1/2" past the end of the frame. Here's where I connect my first J hook and swivel. I get no binding and very little swivel fouling with this hook up. If I wasn't live market trapping I wouldn't have any traps laminated.
If fact some of my best traps are the old #2 montys no need for any mods on those traps and are very foot friendly with those heavy rounded jaws.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: ] #655947
03/28/08 10:51 PM
03/28/08 10:51 PM
U. P. Michigan
B
beaverguy Offline
trapper
beaverguy  Offline
trapper
B

U. P. Michigan
Jeepers>>> With all these mods done to traps to hold animals, it makes me wonder what if anything the poor trapper caught 50 years ago.. I can't see how they held animals without these modified traps?? I'm not sure but I think most used Longspring traps even!!! My>My> I wonder how they ever did it !!!???

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: lrjakes] #655950
03/28/08 10:53 PM
03/28/08 10:53 PM

A
ADC
Unregistered
ADC
Unregistered
A

Good idea LR! I have had some #3 victors with those bases. Saw JC Connors sells them too.

~ADC~

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: ] #655961
03/28/08 10:58 PM
03/28/08 10:58 PM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
That is a good setup lr. I've run them on a bunch of 1,75NW's once.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: beaverguy] #655964
03/28/08 11:00 PM
03/28/08 11:00 PM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
 Originally Posted By: beaverguy
Jeepers>>> With all these mods done to traps to hold animals, it makes me wonder what if anything the poor trapper caught 50 years ago.. I can't see how they held animals without these modified traps?? I'm not sure but I think most used Longspring traps even!!! My>My> I wonder how they ever did it !!!???

They did catch fur,but they lost alot too and what we have today is what trappers have found and made improvements just like anything else.Look at cars,we'd still be driving model A's if we didn't try to improve on it to what we have today,heck we probably would have 4x4's if it weren't for people looking for a better or more improved product.If you ever get the chance read Hoof Beats of a Wolfer by O'Gorman. He talks alot about what he's found with traps over the years.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: DFronek] #655980
03/28/08 11:10 PM
03/28/08 11:10 PM
U. P. Michigan
B
beaverguy Offline
trapper
beaverguy  Offline
trapper
B

U. P. Michigan
blak coyote,
I Know guys that were trapping Coyote when O Gorman was just a twinkle in his fathers eye. ( before he was born ) These guys used #4 longsprings only. They trapped for a living and lived well. One gentlemen I know caught 137 Coyotes for bounty in one year and an untold number of Bobcat, Fox, and yes even Wolves. These were all caught in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. If they lost any animals, which I'm sure they did. It wasn't because of not having modified traps.. No-one bats 100% in this game.. JMO

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: beaverguy] #656002
03/28/08 11:34 PM
03/28/08 11:34 PM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
 Originally Posted By: beaverguy
If they lost any animals, which I'm sure they did. It wasn't because of not having modified traps.. No-one bats 100% in this game.. JMO

If all they were using was #4 dbls I'd bet lack of lams cause loss atleast on fox. I may not have been around that long,but long enough to know what a trap can do. And your right no one bats 100% but there are things you can do to get it close and mods are just part of the equation.Why do you think traps like the MB750 or CDR came out,trappers were looking for a better performing trap.

I know alot of trappers are set in there ways especially when it comes to traps or mods. Call it PC or whatever but many who went to mods have done so because they've seen improvement in function and durability. Like I've mentioned earlier, I've seen many post on here about trap failures. What I don't understand is,if a trapper is going to take the time and money to set a trap,why would he use a trap that may not hold an animal. I mean if a trapper is trapping for fox using 1,5's and theres a possibility of catching a coyote,why would you set a trap a coyote will often times get out of or completely destroy. I mean if your going to do it,do it right the first time. I didn't have internet when learning through the years and learned alot the hard way. Maybe I just have bad luck with coyotes in years past trashing un modified 1.75's or coon leaving me toes in 1,5 Blake and lams. What ever the reason,now days I have less problems. I can reset a trap after a catch without having to bend something back into shape or replacing it with a new trap maintenance. All I know is what it was like using just stock compared to now,and I will not set a stock trap anymore. If others want to learn the hard way sobiet,sometimes that's the best teacher.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: beaverguy] #656010
03/28/08 11:36 PM
03/28/08 11:36 PM
MD 36
L
lrjakes Offline
trapper
lrjakes  Offline
trapper
L

MD 36
I have seen the offset bases, but i havent seen the "square" ring to allow the swivel to clear the base.

And i have seen the "lay-flat" square pieces but they were mounted in the center.

Last edited by lrjakes; 03/28/08 11:38 PM.
Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: lrjakes] #656016
03/28/08 11:39 PM
03/28/08 11:39 PM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
The round ones by JC lets the rivet/swivel clear the base to the side.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: lrjakes] #656034
03/28/08 11:52 PM
03/28/08 11:52 PM
MD 36
L
lrjakes Offline
trapper
lrjakes  Offline
trapper
L

MD 36
I got into this because sometimes i think we make the newbies feel that if you dont have the tricked out expensive trap you will miss most animals.

Truth is the mods do help, but not enough where i wouldnt set an unmodified trap of the correct size.

And if I were in a position where i only had x amount of money for traps, I would buy more of the less expensive brands and just tune them.

BUT, over here in the east especially, animal welfare should be a concern so if someone does have the resources, I would definitely recommend laminations.

Lots of variables to consider.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: lrjakes] #656042
03/28/08 11:57 PM
03/28/08 11:57 PM
MD 36
L
lrjakes Offline
trapper
lrjakes  Offline
trapper
L

MD 36
thanks Blak!1

i have been meaning to get some of his elongated O rings to accommodate 2 rebar stakes anyway.

I am actually surprised that no (or at least that I know of) stock traps come with em.

Last edited by lrjakes; 03/31/08 12:23 PM.
Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: lrjakes] #656066
03/29/08 12:41 AM
03/29/08 12:41 AM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
 Originally Posted By: lrjakes
I got into this because sometimes i think we make the newbies feel that if you dont have the tricked out expensive trap you will miss most animals.

Truth is the mods do help, but not enough where i wouldnt set an unmodified trap of the correct size.

And if I were in a position where i only had x amount of money for traps, I would buy more of the less expensive brands and just tune them.

BUT, over here in the east especially, animal welfare should be a concern so if someone does have the resources, I would definitely recommend laminations.

Lots of variables to consider.

Good post lr. And I agree.For the newbies out there educate yourself and start out with what you can afford and work from there.You'll find out what works for you and what don't. The important thing is to get out there and do it. Start with the basics,the right size trap for the intended animal and let the learning and experience for your situation dictate what you need and what you don't.

Re: debate jaw laminations [Re: ] #659496
03/31/08 11:48 AM
03/31/08 11:48 AM
Maine
D
DLM Offline
trapper
DLM  Offline
trapper
D

Maine
I don't think you need it on a trap unless your after coyotes, wolves, or wolverines. These animals will bite apart some traps on ocassion. Lamination of the jaws and baseplates eliminate that.
Over the years I've settled on a fully modified #2 Bridger for my coyote trapping (and thats all I use now for cats also). Our coyotes have wolf blood in them (proven by DNA test) and they are a bigger stronger jawed critter than alot of the coyotes in other areas.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91