Originally Posted by Muskrat
good stuff above, especially agree with Larry's advice

couple of don'ts:

1) do not load up the tube of a DP. Just give 'em enough to get started and want to dig at the bottom for more

2) do not use anything in the tube that would cause the 'coon to turn away. That includes fish oil and salmon oil. Good to bring 'em close, but not in the tube. You can't go wrong with jack mack and the above mentioned crushed crayfish.

Larry: Sets like pocket sets make them work the set from one spot. If you think you have 4 coon make 5 pocket sets in a row

Never set just one trap. Might as well set many, depending on sign. Another changeup to Larry's idea here would be three pockets with two blinds in between the pockets.

I make all water sets in pairs. Each pair has one terminal end. If running drowner cable, include a stop 30" up from the terminal end. This will keep 'em from tangling and/or using whatever to power out of the trap before expiring.

For the most part I agree with #1. But where you have lots of mice and other vermin I like to fill the tube with bait. And hopefully there will be some bait left when the target critter comes along. The other reason I like to fill the tube Is during rainy weather. A bacon grease plug placed on top of the main bait will keep It water proof for awhile.

Last edited by The Beav; 06/18/19 06:29 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat