No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
A question for the masses #6552795
06/10/19 06:08 PM
06/10/19 06:08 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
Questions for the group

How many readers of this forum have been turned off by fire and brimstone preaching?

How many readers of this forum know there is a higher power, and feel that higher power is incomprehensible?

How many have attended a church or two to be turned off by those that feel they are entitled to be judge jury and executioner?

How many have grown tired of those that are like the learner that is a full cup? (No room to take on more knowledge)

How many like being judged by pious hypocrites?

Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6552798
06/10/19 06:09 PM
06/10/19 06:09 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
They are fun-easy to rile up.
Most all the proddy preachers are con-men.
They are a lot like the animal rights people,they like to fleece little old ladies and other dolts.They make them believe the more money they give them the better chance they have to get to heaven.

Last edited by Boco; 06/10/19 06:13 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6552814
06/10/19 06:32 PM
06/10/19 06:32 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I believe in a higher power.
I don't like being around those who constantly thump their Bibles, try to play super Christian and are quick to point out the sins of others.

I know quite a few good Christians who show their faith in nearly all they do every day. They show their faith through their good works and may share their faith at times but it is in no way with a holier-than-Thou attitude toward anyone.

Re: A question for the masses [Re: gryhkl] #6552851
06/10/19 07:11 PM
06/10/19 07:11 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
I have known some tremendous people that lived a life the Jesus would have been proud of. Yet some these people did not attend church, act like pious know it alls. They were simply good people that did good things and loved most.

Re: A question for the masses [Re: Boco] #6553081
06/10/19 11:32 PM
06/10/19 11:32 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Boco
They are fun-easy to rile up.
Most all the proddy preachers are con-men.
They are a lot like the animal rights people,they like to fleece little old ladies and other dolts.They make them believe the more money they give them the better chance they have to get to heaven.

I agree with Boco, that most protestant preachers are con men, mainly interested in siphoning money from the people of their congregation. Baptists and Church of God preachers, have been the biggest shysters, in my experience. I have known quite few older people, living hand to mouth, who were guilted into giving more than they could afford to support their preacher. Scaring people with threats of eternal torment, into giving you money, should be illegal.

My friend Ralph always makes a point of grabbing and holding onto his wallet, when someone tells him they are a Christian. He will keep doing it until they ask what is going on and he can explain he thinks they are probably a crook.

I am sure there are probably some decent "Christians". I have never met an outspoken "Christian", who was not a terrible human being.

The biggest pervert I have ever met was a Baptist Minister named Milliard, who was mostly called Moe. He floated from congregation to congregation until he sexually assaulted enough women, that he had to move on.

Keith

Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553126
06/11/19 05:37 AM
06/11/19 05:37 AM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
God allows tares (weeds) in the harvest. In fact he uses them for His purpose.

It's not as if God didn't know what was going on when the Satan was deceiving a third of the angels to join him in rebellion. God, foremost, gives all free will (The bible is clear, there is no eternal "burning alive" for His children. If anyone wants to debate that, start another thread, and start by posting every scripture that says you sleep when you die).

God uses Satan, and other people, good and evil, for His purpose.

If I ever found a church full of perfect people, I'd ruin it by joining it.

Levi
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553134
06/11/19 06:19 AM
06/11/19 06:19 AM
Goldsboro, NC
John C Offline
trapper
John C  Offline
trapper

Goldsboro, NC
First baptist of Goldsboro doesn’t preach the fire and brimstone. That’s more Pentecostal holiness style around here.

More Cowbell
Re: A question for the masses [Re: gryhkl] #6553278
06/11/19 10:19 AM
06/11/19 10:19 AM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
Originally Posted by gryhkl
I believe in a higher power.
I don't like being around those who constantly thump their Bibles, try to play super Christian and are quick to point out the sins of others.

I know quite a few good Christians who show their faith in nearly all they do every day. They show their faith through their good works and may share their faith at times but it is in no way with a holier-than-Thou attitude toward anyone.

Agreed. I believe in a higher power, though I personally wouldn't call it "God". Whatever name it's given, it serves the same purpose.
Call me a witch, or not, I prefer Earth-based practices. Much more personal than the organized stuff.. in my opinion.

Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553285
06/11/19 10:34 AM
06/11/19 10:34 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
"How many readers of this forum have been turned off by fire and brimstone preaching?"

Not me, I am open to new ideas and many of the ideas I express are quite contrary to modern social norms.

"How many readers of this forum know there is a higher power, and feel that higher power is incomprehensible?"

I know nothing! The more I learn the less I realize I know.

"How many have attended a church or two to be turned off by those that feel they are entitled to be judge jury and executioner?"

Not me, dont really care about that. I quit going to church because it became the "christian" thing to do to take in and care for immigrants. I wouldn't sell out my people and our children's future for "Christianity" even though I believe in most of the concepts it preaches. I thought Christianity was a way to bind a people together through common belief which would help the nation and its people thrive, I no longer think thats true.

"How many have grown tired of those that are like the learner that is a full cup? (No room to take on more knowledge)"

Dunning Kruger effect, will post graph related at bottom.

"How many like being judged by pious hypocrites?"

Reasonably easy to avoid them and again Dunning Kruger applies.

[Linked Image]

Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553305
06/11/19 11:39 AM
06/11/19 11:39 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Interesting subject Mac.

I attend a church. I think sometimes people get a little bit of knowledge and run with it. I have a friend who is a pretty learned bible teacher who make it pretty clear we are not to judge others. I agree with this. I also know I don't know enough not start spouting off about scripture.

If fire and brimstone is someone saying you'll go to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) for this or that I don't have a problem with it if it is true because that's me. I'm the guy going to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) for doing all of that stuff.

I believe in God but believe the way to get to know him is through the bible. I think - and this is just me - that how can someone know God? To me I think there is no way I can comprehend God.

I don't think I have judged people on here but I have been pretty clear on my faith. I consider you a friend so if I did something let me know Mac.

God gives us free will. I believe the bible and have faith is Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit. If you don't believe in God or believe what Boco says is that's free will. I'll still set with you guys at conventions and consider you my brothers of the trapline. You're always welcome at my place or in my church too.

Anyone making popcorn yet?

Just passin through
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553382
06/11/19 01:51 PM
06/11/19 01:51 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Once in a great while I’ll listen to it but it’s not for the message. I watch for and listen to the style of how it’s delivered. A good speaker uses short sentences and pauses for effect. Lord knows I’ve listened to and slept thru many boring speakers. But the ones who got my interest usually had an effective way of delivery and that’s what kept me awake and hanging on every word.

Never too old to learn
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553399
06/11/19 02:36 PM
06/11/19 02:36 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Questions for the group

"How many readers of this forum have been turned off by fire and brimstone preaching? "

I certainly was when I was younger. However, at the same time, I did not doubt that h ell was a real place. What is a turn off is when God's judgement and God's love are not taught in balance. If it's all about judgement, then, who wants to follow a God who is about nothing but anger? If it's all about love, then you have Santa Claus instead of a righteous deity. Both have to be taught to be Biblical. Jesus talked more about hades than any one else in the word, so I always get a little perplexed when people claim it's not Christ like to preach about what will happen if you do not repent of your sins.

"How many readers of this forum know there is a higher power, and feel that higher power is incomprehensible?"

Certainly, God is impossible to comprehend completely. Doesn't' mean we should not try. If you believe in the very basics of Christianity, such as Jesus being God, you are attempting to comprehend Him and you are in some sense already a theologian.

"How many have attended a church or two to be turned off by those that feel they are entitled to be judge jury and executioner?"

In my younger days, I did meet many who would judge on appearances. I remember walking into a camp meeting in my Miami Vice suit coat and someone muttering "back seat Christians" and such. The problem with pointing fingers at them is that there are always some pointing back at me, as I'm then judging them for their judgement of me, lol.

"How many have grown tired of those that are like the learner that is a full cup? (No room to take on more knowledge)"

I have at times, but that's true for any topic.

"How many like being judged by pious hypocrites?"

These days it's all the same to me. I am what I am, if someone wants to judge me, I figure I deserve it for one thing or another. We are all of us hypocrites in one way or another.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553407
06/11/19 02:47 PM
06/11/19 02:47 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Many moons ago, studying the bible as we had to turned me away from religion. Forgot most of it over the years as I don't deem it important stuff to know and there is only so much one can remember and keep at hand if you will. I am content as is, look after mine and me. Thats good enough for me. Nope I am not lost and sure as heck don't need " saving". For the folks the think they need religion on their life. Thats fine by me and I have friends that go to and are active in their church. I respect them and they know better then to try and sell me their religion. Each to their own in that respect.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: A question for the masses [Re: Mac] #6553499
06/11/19 05:13 PM
06/11/19 05:13 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
All the post about Religion and God can be summed up very easily you have faith or you don't .

Re: A question for the masses [Re: amspoker] #6553507
06/11/19 05:28 PM
06/11/19 05:28 PM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted by amspoker
God allows tares (weeds) in the harvest. In fact he uses them for His purpose.

It's not as if God didn't know what was going on when the Satan was deceiving a third of the angels to join him in rebellion. God, foremost, gives all free will (The bible is clear, there is no eternal "burning alive" for His children. If anyone wants to debate that, start another thread, and start by posting every scripture that says you sleep when you die).

God uses Satan, and other people, good and evil, for His purpose.

If I ever found a church full of perfect people, I'd ruin it by joining it.

LOL - like my Grandfather told his neighbor when he said the churches are full of hypocrites.
My Grandfather said, "Well, there's always room for one more".

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread