No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: swift4me] #6553775
06/12/19 06:09 AM
06/12/19 06:09 AM
orange co, nc
B
brisket Offline
trapper
brisket  Offline
trapper
B

orange co, nc
Originally Posted by swift4me
EdP is right on. Political threads are axed which I think is a good thing but religion is a personal thing for many of us. Of course we can choose to not open a thread but these religious debates seem to be more frequent lately.

Just my two cents. Maybe a religion forum for those who wish to debate/discuss?

Pete

Agreed

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6553794
06/12/19 06:51 AM
06/12/19 06:51 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
There is a reason everyone can't help themselves from opening these threads.

"Sometimes it ain't all about us." lol

-Goofy-
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6553836
06/12/19 08:00 AM
06/12/19 08:00 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
cult
[kəlt]
NOUN

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

if looked at objectively all religions are cults.

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: Pike River] #6553837
06/12/19 08:02 AM
06/12/19 08:02 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by Pike River
So who's worse, so called Christians killing in the name of religion or Muslims killing in the name of religion?

They worship the same Hebrew God.

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: KeithC] #6553872
06/12/19 08:53 AM
06/12/19 08:53 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by KeithC

Exactly that, a good God would want people to treat each other well.

I fail to see why a good God would want to be worshiped in a particular way and then be so vague about how he wants to be worshiped, that only very small groups of people can agree on what way that should be, leaving most people to disagree. The penalty for not worshipping in the correct way, according to most Christians, is eternal torment, even though it's God's fault that he was not more explicit about what he wants. It seems petty to want to be worshiped like that. It makes sense to be appreciative of God's creations. Kneeling, sitting, standing, reciting the same words, singing the same songs, acting holy for short period of time once or twice a week seems pointless to me.

Treat others well, be appreciative of what you have, work for what you need and try to be the best human being you can.

Keith

But you aren't God, so how can you know what he wants? You can't, unless it's revealed to you, you are just another sinful person like the rest of us. Acting holy for a short period of time, yeah that would be pointless. But that isn't what church is about. It's about thanking the one who is holy for everything he is and does. Again, have you always treated everyone perfectly? If not, you need to seek forgiveness.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: tjm] #6553922
06/12/19 09:53 AM
06/12/19 09:53 AM
Georgia
warrior Online content OP
trapper
warrior  Online Content OP
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by tjm
Originally Posted by Pike River
So who's worse, so called Christians killing in the name of religion or Muslims killing in the name of religion?

They do not. Allah is an ancient bedouin moon god morphed into the story of mohammed. Some initial followers of mohammed included members of a Jewish community in Mecca, hence the linkage to Jehovah.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6553946
06/12/19 10:39 AM
06/12/19 10:39 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Guess I've never been around enough Pagans to under stand this post??? Got a daughter raised Catholic decide wanted to be a Wiccan I'm ok with that some other family is not..
I've seen more Christian Hypocrites, Whine and Complain in my life time about other people than any other group I know...Don't want to bake a cake, can't have my Christmas decorations in some public place. Can't hang my 10 commands in city hall, don't like the people next doors life style..They comb their hair to the wrong side..think their Wiccans, maybe even lesbians heaven forbid???
Yet here where I live I think there are??? if I count ?? right?? 6 for sure maybe more churches within half mile of my house?? All claiming some form of being Christian..I occasionally get junk mail being a neighbor, to come see what they have to offer me in life.. One of them few blocks from here one of the pastors I know. He conceal carries or open carries all time. Think mostly open carry while preaching at the pulpit in the church... least he be attacked by some none believer he can defend himself and congregation...I'm told every service has some armed guards. I don't know who is after that group of Christians, never ask him?? don't know don't care.. I got cat people hate on me to worry about..
Lot of people need learn just MTOB.. be lot less grief for everyone..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6553957
06/12/19 11:06 AM
06/12/19 11:06 AM

T
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
T

Jerks aren't unique to just one flavor

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: SUMROW] #6553969
06/12/19 11:34 AM
06/12/19 11:34 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
Originally Posted by SUMROW
, but then what would of us old men have to argue about.

i guarantee, we'd find something to argue about - it is the internet after all

Josh
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6553975
06/12/19 11:40 AM
06/12/19 11:40 AM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Was raised in a very strict church growing up. Refuse to go back now that I'm old enough to see it for what it was and make my own decisions in life. Like has been stated before "our church is the only right church and everybody else better not be buried in a sweater cause it's hot where they're going!" I find it hard to get on board when you tell me I have to live a certain way because "this book says so", but when I ask for supporting literature to back up that books legitimacy they give me more examples out of the same book! You can't back up a statement from a book with other statements from the same book and expect everyone to just accept it as truth. As far as beliefs I believe that I'd rather be in the woods thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about the woods.

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: PAskinner] #6554040
06/12/19 01:45 PM
06/12/19 01:45 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by PAskinner

I fail to see why a good God would want to be worshiped in a particular way and then be so vague about how he wants to be worshiped, that only very small groups of people can agree on what way that should be, leaving most people to disagree. The penalty for not worshipping in the correct way, according to most Christians, is eternal torment, even though it's God's fault that he was not more explicit about what he wants. It seems petty to want to be worshiped like that. It makes sense to be appreciative of God's creations. Kneeling, sitting, standing, reciting the same words, singing the same songs, acting holy for short period of time once or twice a week seems pointless to me.

Treat others well, be appreciative of what you have, work for what you need and try to be the best human being you can.

Keith

But you aren't God, so how can you know what he wants? You can't, unless it's revealed to you, you are just another sinful person like the rest of us. Acting holy for a short period of time, yeah that would be pointless. But that isn't what church is about. It's about thanking the one who is holy for everything he is and does. Again, have you always treated everyone perfectly? If not, you need to seek forgiveness.

I am definitely not God and I am definitely not perfect. I guess like everyone else what the true nature of God is. Creation overall is good, so I would guess God is good.

I pray every night and other times too. Part of my prayers are the "Our Father" and "Holy Mary". I try to be thankful while praying too and ask for help to be a better person.

Whether God agrees or not, if we all treat others well, be appreciative of what we have, work for what we need and try to be the best human being we can, things will be better for all of us.

Keith

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: KeithC] #6554060
06/12/19 02:06 PM
06/12/19 02:06 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Many believe in a God that is way, way too small. God is way too inclusive for many who choose to use region to divide and demean.

Bryce

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6554080
06/12/19 02:42 PM
06/12/19 02:42 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
[quote=PAskinner][quote=KeithC]

Keith

I am definitely not God and I am definitely not perfect. I guess like everyone else what the true nature of God is. Creation overall is good, so I would guess God is good.

I pray every night and other times too. Part of my prayers are the "Our Father" and "Holy Mary". I try to be thankful while praying too and ask for help to be a better person.

Whether God agrees or not, if we all treat others well, be appreciative of what we have, work for what we need and try to be the best human being we can, things will be better for all of us.

Keith

Sure they will. But being a nice person doesn't save anyone.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: Scuba1] #6554110
06/12/19 03:45 PM
06/12/19 03:45 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Doesn't sound like a Christian to me, after all Christians don't convert anybody, Christ does. Hence "imagined" persecution.

The lighthouse dudes clearly did not get that memo then. They peddle their version of christianity from door to door. Can anyone please let them know they are doing it wrong and stop that nonsense.

The Watchtower Society isn't Christian. It was founded by Charles Taze Russell who pretty much left orthodox Christian teachings and formed his own wild and crazy ideas about life. He made many predictions that never happened such as the return of Christ several times, the end of the world, etc. I wouldn't even favor them as being an offshoot of Christianity.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: PAskinner] #6554111
06/12/19 03:46 PM
06/12/19 03:46 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by PAskinner
Sure they will. But being a nice person doesn't save anyone.

I don't agree that anyone needs saved. A good, all powerful God, even if he gives you free will, knows how you will turn out. Since He created everything and knows how it will turn out, he is ultimately responsible. A good God would not create anything he would punish eternally, an evil God would. If God is good, all knowing and all powerful, I don't believe there is any eternal punishment.

Keith

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6554115
06/12/19 03:52 PM
06/12/19 03:52 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Trapper7
The Watchtower Society isn't Christian. It was founded by Charles Taze Russell who pretty much left orthodox Christian teachings and formed his own wild and crazy ideas about life. He made many predictions that never happened such as the return of Christ several times, the end of the world, etc. I wouldn't even favor them as being an offshoot of Christianity.

Thinking like this is why there are 40,000 some versions of Christianity, most who dislike each other, except when they face a common enemy and need each other.

Thinking like this is also what turns most of us off from organized religion. I don't want to have to hate somebody over something that no one really knows about or can agree upon.

Keith

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: KeithC] #6554124
06/12/19 04:07 PM
06/12/19 04:07 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

Thinking like this is why there are 40,000 some versions of Christianity, most who dislike each other, except when they face a common enemy and need each other.

Thinking like this is also what turns most of us off from organized religion. I don't want to have to hate somebody over something that no one really knows about or can agree upon.

Keith

We have faced a common enemy and the Watchtower Society wasn't there because they don't believe in war. They are conscientious objectors. They have always reaped the good from the perils of war without ever having suffered any of it's consequences.

Most Christian religions pretty much agree on the basics of Christianity. They disagree on some minor points such as baptism, communion, etc. If you think that causes contempt, you are mistaken. I may disagree with some of their doctrines, but I figure we're still in the same game, just a different team.

I am a Christian. I have friends who probably aren't, but that's God's problem. He has to judge them, not me. But, I certainly don't hate them.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: Trapper7] #6554125
06/12/19 04:09 PM
06/12/19 04:09 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.

Don't most professed Christians follow that guy Paul that pretty much started his own church way back when?

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: bblwi] #6554127
06/12/19 04:10 PM
06/12/19 04:10 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by bblwi
Many believe in a God that is way, way too small. God is way too inclusive for many who choose to use region to divide and demean.

Bryce

Possibly the best post you every made, Bryce.

Re: Why are pagans so critical of others? [Re: warrior] #6554135
06/12/19 04:24 PM
06/12/19 04:24 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by tjm

They do not. Allah is an ancient bedouin moon god morphed into the story of mohammed. Some initial followers of mohammed included members of a Jewish community in Mecca, hence the linkage to Jehovah.

A lot of Arabic speaking Catholics and Orthodox Christians would argue with you. Allah is like Dios or Deu, or Dieu, or Gud, or Dia, or Bog, or Gott- it is just God's name in a language you don't speak, read or understand.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread