No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554644
06/13/19 07:17 AM
06/13/19 07:17 AM
Michiana
M
musquash-chaser Offline
trapper
musquash-chaser  Offline
trapper
M

Michiana
Check out the ''Odd Duck'' from Bear Creek. Custom made to trap out of.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: musquash-chaser] #6554656
06/13/19 07:29 AM
06/13/19 07:29 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by musquash-chaser

That IS different. Do you have experience with this model? I can see where it would be advantageous to cut through cattails, but would think the bow would want to "sail" in a crosswind.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554706
06/13/19 08:36 AM
06/13/19 08:36 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tlguy
Who's got a canoe they like for trapping? . . .

Here's a thought. Take a little road trip to Madison and test drive canoes for an afternoon or what have you. Might help shape your final selection. Not saying buy your boat here, just get a feel for how the different models handle.

https://www.rutabaga.com/testpaddle

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554778
06/13/19 10:40 AM
06/13/19 10:40 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
The only canoe I would get to use for anything is a Sportspal. They are the best in my opinion, I'm still looking for one myself. They don't pop up around here often.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: Posco] #6554848
06/13/19 12:22 PM
06/13/19 12:22 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by Posco

What part of the state are you trapping, Johnny? I'm in southern Aroostook. ...

I'm in the Midcoast. Right down the street from Cronk's. My Dad's side of the family is from your area.

This is a pretty little spot you cant easily get to with a bigger canoe.
[Linked Image]

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554854
06/13/19 12:32 PM
06/13/19 12:32 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Muskrat, those are some great pictures there, and an excellent choice in canoe, I'm going to look into one of those myself.
Right now for me - it's either an Old Town Osprey 15.5 which is set up for rowing, like a row boat OR an older no longer made Old Town Predator K-140 kayak - which is esentally an Old Town Twin Otter set up for duck hunting....

I'll see if I can post some pictures later, I'm getting a file too big error right now....

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554859
06/13/19 12:41 PM
06/13/19 12:41 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was hoping to find a picture of the Osprey 15.5 Rowing canoe empty, but I used it for many many years doing river clean up, I want to say it had a payload of 1000 lbs, but I could be wrong, all I know is I hauled tons of trash with it and never came close to swamping it or rolling it over.

That Old Town kayak is 14 feet long with a huge cockpit.
I use it all winter long.......
That was the only picture I have where you can actually get an idea of the cockpit size.
*Again, it's a duck hunting kayak Old Town was making 15 years ago or so... I have not used it yet for trapping but that would be my trapping boat [over the canoe] only because I would be running a small trap line.

Respect,
East Derby, CT
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6554862
06/13/19 12:43 PM
06/13/19 12:43 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I have 3 canoes two are Golden Hawk 13 footers and one is square stern the other conventional. My 3rd canoe is a Cranberry Creek which is very much like the Golden Hawk and that one is a square stern
These canoes are molded fiberglass, bulky but light and rigid frame
My first one was purchased in 1993 that is the conventional model and has been in lot of different water over those 26 years.
To me advantage, short, but wide so stable. It will carry 800 lbs. of cargo.
They have high sides and thus that helps with putting in cargo etc.
Durable

What are some concerns?
With the 2 inch keel on the bottom that catches vegetation, stumps shallow rocks and thus the canoe can be more difficult to turn. The keel does add greatly to the stability.
The seats are about 2 foot ahead of the end of the canoe on both ends and that makes setting from the front or reat instead of the sides a bit more difficult.
I usually set on the front seat and go backwards as that is when the canoe is the most stable with the most surface area on and in the water. If I use the rear seat a lot I want some weight on the other end. Espeically with the electric motor on. I thought I would use the motor most for trapping but I can't do anything over the back of the canoe so I use it more for fishing.
The square stern models are flared so you can paddle either way. That however does make the back of the canoe say with motor or one leaning over high up and more likely to roll over. I have only dumped any of the three once in all the years so stability is good the way I use them.
I tried a lower cost model one season before these and rolled it twice and went a different direction.

Bryce

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: Muskrat] #6554864
06/13/19 12:44 PM
06/13/19 12:44 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by musquash-chaser

That IS different. Do you have experience with this model? I can see where it would be advantageous to cut through cattails, but would think the bow would want to "sail" in a crosswind.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Now that's something worth checking out, and yes - it would be very vunerable to cross winds but I bet she spins on a dime.

Respect,
East Derby, CT
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554871
06/13/19 12:49 PM
06/13/19 12:49 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
[Linked Image]

I have to find out who made this thing - it's no longer made, but I want to say it was made in New Haven CT about 45 years ago.
It's been re-glassed, and is an extra heavy layup and weighs way too much to even think about portaging [120 lbs is my guess..] but it is super stable and rides low in the water, so not vunerable to crosswinds that much...

Otterwolf is my nickname, not the manutacture. of this canoe.
I'll ask the guy who sold it to me at work tonight, they are good because they can take extreme use only downside is their weight - hence the trailer....

Respect,
East Derby, CT
Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554876
06/13/19 12:51 PM
06/13/19 12:51 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
17 foot royalex nova craft tripper. Rated to comfortably carry 1000 lbs, easily portaged, and paddled by one person. Good secondary stability and a good river canoe too.

Its too bad they stopped making royalex. Absolutely bulletproof. I have three of them and not giving them up.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: Hutchy] #6554898
06/13/19 01:22 PM
06/13/19 01:22 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Hutchy
17 foot royalex nova craft tripper. Rated to comfortably carry 1000 lbs, easily portaged, and paddled by one person. Good secondary stability and a good river canoe too.

Its too bad they stopped making royalex. Absolutely bulletproof. I have three of them and not giving them up.

Thought by now somebody else would've come up with a similar product. What are Old Towns using to build their standard canoes?

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6554972
06/13/19 03:45 PM
06/13/19 03:45 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I own two canoes; a 17 foot aluminum and a 12 foot Radisson. Much prefer the Radisson which I can handle alone and row from mid canoe.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555187
06/13/19 09:59 PM
06/13/19 09:59 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Thanks for the ideas guys. I decided to go another way and picked up an early 80s Alumacraft 1045 jon boat today. It weighs about 75 pounds but fits perfectly in the bed of my GMC Canyon. I know I won't be able to nose it into the cattails like I would a canoe, but I'm going to give it a shot this fall and keep my current canoe just in case. And if I don't like it, I shouldn't have any problem unloading it for what I have into it. Just need a little trolling motor and I'm all set. Should be plenty sturdy and double as a nice little fishing boat for backwaters.

[Linked Image]

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555355
06/14/19 07:46 AM
06/14/19 07:46 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
What???

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555357
06/14/19 07:49 AM
06/14/19 07:49 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Who's got a canoe they like for trapping? I've got a 14'6" Blue Hole canoe that I used the last couple years, and it got the job done, but with summer here I'm keeping my eyes out for a replacement, something a bit shorter in the 10-13' range that's a bit more maneuverable through the marsh. . . .

And you chose a 10' Jon boat? C'mon man.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555361
06/14/19 07:51 AM
06/14/19 07:51 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I'm just giving ya a hard time. Next year keep the Jon boat for fishing and keep your eyes peeled for that used Sportspal. Found mine in Indiana on Craig's List.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555370
06/14/19 08:06 AM
06/14/19 08:06 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I hear ya muskrat! I posted that knowing I would catch some flak. I've only been muskrat trapping a couple years and am still trying to figure some things out, transportation included. I've seen enough cheap golden hawks that I may still pick up one of those.

But I think I'm really going to enjoy the Jon boat, even if it doesn't work out for trapping. My earliest solo fishing adventures as a kid were on an 8' jon boat (that wasnt aluminum and is heavier than the new 10'). I showed a picture of it to my 4yo daughter and she said, "Is that for me?!" So I guess I gotta keep it for her.

I do appreciate the advice, I hope I didnt make anyone feel like they wasted their time. It was good advice that I'll use in the future and hopefully others can benefit from as well.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: tlguy] #6555406
06/14/19 08:43 AM
06/14/19 08:43 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I wouldn't want to use oars to get around in it but I wouldn't hesitate to put a small outboard on it and hit the water. Should be plenty stable.

Re: Preferred trapping canoe? [Re: Muskrat] #6555417
06/14/19 08:57 AM
06/14/19 08:57 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Muskrat
. . . . What about the Sportspals? . . .

Sponsons on the side keep you from rolling. Have never, never rolled this canoe yet. Loaded up for short time deer camp.

[Linked Image]

Double bladed paddle makes life easier paddling a short canoe. Though this canoe does have a keel, it doesn't track as nicely as I'd like using a regular paddle.

Gear out on the bank.

[Linked Image]

Snowed that night . . .

[Linked Image]

Nice for beaver trapping. Light enough you can sling it over one shoulder and walk through the bottoms that way, or drag it like a sled. Great for muskrat trapping, you can lean over, work your set, and not have to worry about rolling it.

This is the 13' square stern. If you're looking at 'em, be sure you look at Sportspals and not Radissons.

[Linked Image]

Downsides to this type of canoe: I had a Radisson for 20 some years starting back in the 80s. Similar design, but the hull was cut and seamed and required annual maintenance bondoing these joints. Solved that problem with the bump up to the SportSpal. One piece hull.

Both have that black "blanket" of soft material that the ribs will keep in place. Over time this material compresses and the aluminum ribs want to fall out. Problem solved by drilling through hull near gunwale and bolting in place.

Primary gripe: when paddling through tight marsh, the leading edge of the sponsons want to "grab" cattails and slow passage through. Partially solved this by shaving leading edge of sponson down to an angle.

All that being said, and having paddled many different canoes over the years, I still would select this canoe if buying a new one for what I do. Coupled with my 2 hp Honda, makes a nice rig for the waybacks where others have a difficult time getting into and around.

X2 sportspal all the way though Nessy’s freighter is awful nice and if I was working or fishing water wider then10/12 feet I would definitely splurg and get one of those in a heartbeat but I do love my sportspal and have 2 a 13 foot and a 16 both square stern and used with a 2hp evenrude that pushes them along at a good clip even when loaded heavy

If f you get one can the paddle and get yourself a double bladed kayak paddle or a pair of Ora’s

Last edited by nightlife; 06/14/19 08:59 AM. Reason: Correct auto correct

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread