No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Montana/Glacier NP? #6554658
06/13/19 07:32 AM
06/13/19 07:32 AM
Grand Rapids, MN
D
deerdragger Offline OP
trapper
deerdragger  Offline OP
trapper
D

Grand Rapids, MN
I have a conference in MT in a couple of weeks and decided to head out a few days early with my youngest son (15) in order to spend a few days in and around Glacier National Park. We plan on tenting it - just doing some sight seeing, hike some trails and maybe do a little fishing. I've never been to Glacier, but I've heard it is amazing. What are the must-see places that we should have on our list? Any recommendations on camping? We don't own any fly fishing gear, so we're looking at bringing a couple of spinning rods.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6554696
06/13/19 08:19 AM
06/13/19 08:19 AM
MT
B
bbasher Offline
trapper
bbasher  Offline
trapper
B

MT
Depends on what you want to do. Glacier is over run with people like many other NP's. The mountains are real dramatic and cool looking but the traffic and crowds on the trails ruin it for me. If you guys are into hiking and fishing I would stick to the area surrounding the park.

Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6554716
06/13/19 08:58 AM
06/13/19 08:58 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I have two friends that just came back from there in the last week. They said a lot of snow yet and the one guy hikes and said last Saturday it snowed all day while he was hiking. The Sun highway I don't beleive is open yet, still plugged with snow. He only seen a mountain sheep and no grizzles. I have a few good friends that live there and I can tell you to take every care of safety for the grizzles.

The guy said he only saw two jets and the sheep, not one person hiking that day.

Last edited by snowy; 06/13/19 08:59 AM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6554762
06/13/19 10:13 AM
06/13/19 10:13 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Glacier is amazing, as well as the whole front north and south of there.

Early in the year, before the classic tour season begins, is better , but as snowy mentions, too early and the Sun wont be cleared yet. A call to get info on that would help find updates.

Driving the Sun is surely a wonderful way to see into the heart of the country.

The earlier in the morning to go, say Logan Pass , in tour season, will have a lot less traffic. A hike up there , on top of the world, is worth it, in my opinion.

If you are tenting , just stay aware and be safe.

Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6555248
06/13/19 11:14 PM
06/13/19 11:14 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
The quarter circle bridge is interesting to check out on McDonald creek near Apgar I like Snowy mentioned that the Going to the Sun highway is still closed due to snow depths.
I worked on the movie Beethoven's II and road closers were common then too.
Allan

Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6555339
06/14/19 07:25 AM
06/14/19 07:25 AM
Grand Rapids, MN
D
deerdragger Offline OP
trapper
deerdragger  Offline OP
trapper
D

Grand Rapids, MN
Thanks for the replies thus far. Is it worth the bother to try fishing with spinning gear? I'm sure there are fly fishing purists out there who would insist that there is no other way to catch a trout - which reminds me of a quick story...

I was driving through MT a few years ago on my way to Idaho for an elk hunt. While getting fuel at a truck stop/gas station somewhere in the middle of the state, I struck up a conversation with a fella who had one of those nifty row boats that are designed to drift the river for fly fishing. He informed me that there is a long-standing debate among fly fisherman as to which approach is the "purist" technique for presenting a fly: Either by using waders or by using one of these row boats. He summed it up nicely by characterizing the debate as "classic ROW versus WADE".

Sorry. I coundn't resist.

Re: Montana/Glacier NP? [Re: deerdragger] #6555437
06/14/19 09:25 AM
06/14/19 09:25 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I follow a guy in montanna on fb. it just snowed there last week and day temps are just now getting above 50. its cold enough the mosquitoes haven't started in yet and he's usually covered up with them by now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread