Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Alpa male coyote? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6553928
06/12/19 10:04 AM
06/12/19 10:04 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
We are doing this coyote study Here In my area In WI so far 70 coyotes have been collared. As far as I know only one collared coyote has been re captured by trapping. Some have ended up as road kills and some have been shot but only that one was re captured by trapping.
Most of the coyotes are still within 5 or 6 miles from where they were caught. Some never left the area at all and are still on the same ground where they were caught.
WE started trapping In early Sept so some of the coyotes were young of the year. One coyote did travel about 60 some miles till It got to the WI river. It was gone for some time then made It's way back to where It was caught.
We are trapping right along side a major 4 lane Hi way and very seldom do any of the coyotes travel across that road. The GPS collars send a signal every 3 hours and It's pretty neat to see how they move around In their home range. Two of my coyotes were killed along that road while eating on road kills. The collars are only good for about a year so there are lots of coyotes running around with non operating collars.
I haven't been In touch with the study supervisor for some time. He would normally send me Emails with the GPS maps showing the movement of individual coyotes. I will have to check in with him this week and see what's going on.

A coyote doesn't know a trap from a horse shoe but It may be "SET" shy but not "TRAP" shy. Maybe even lure or bait shy so I think It's very important to have change up systems.

An adult coyote that has witnessed one of It's family members getting caught In a trap may try and keep It's young from working a set but for the most part I can't see an adult pair keeping tabs on their young during trapping season. That may happen In a ADC situation but In Nov and Dec not so much.

Last edited by The Beav; 06/12/19 10:06 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Alpa male coyote? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6554452
06/12/19 10:30 PM
06/12/19 10:30 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Last 2 paragraphs were spot on beav. Toadly agree.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Alpa male coyote? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6554799
06/13/19 11:14 AM
06/13/19 11:14 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Who on here that has caught a good number of coyotes actually believes they can tell if a caught coyote is an alpha? If its more aggressive to the trapper upon approach? If its larger and growls or barks? How do we know?

Simply, we do not know. To say or think we are smart enough to "target" the alpha, if one even exists in any given coyote family unit is a stretch. Makes some coyote trappers feel better to talk about it but the truth is none of us know what's out there or what we've got caught as any coyote's demeanor can be as individualistic as many other critters, including people.

Can we used that observed aggressive behavior that we observe from a trapped coyote to our advantage? I try to by moving my trap to edge of catch circle with the obviously aggressive ones....thinking if they are that aggressive to me then they are likely aggressive to other coyotes too. But is this a true characteristic? Who knows.....?
No one does for sure.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 06/13/19 10:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Alpa male coyote? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6555049
06/13/19 06:26 PM
06/13/19 06:26 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Well put Swamp Wolf, spot on.. Interesting Beav , please keep us posted, thanks

Last edited by trappergbus; 06/13/19 06:27 PM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Alpa male coyote? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6555620
06/14/19 03:27 PM
06/14/19 03:27 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I look at this as two different things.

There are two kinds of trapping that I do - fur trapping and ADC work. During the fur season I don't care if I get who ever is in charge and how would I ever know which one that is if I am traveling over a long distance?

If I have a complaint I want the whole bunch of them. If you check the sign and do your homework you can tell if you have the alphas or not. The key is knowing your territory and the animals in it.

I would like to see those movements Beav. That sounds interesting.

Just passin through
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91