No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Take an old guy with #6557456
06/17/19 10:16 AM
06/17/19 10:16 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline OP
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline OP
trapper
W

Pa
There's at least one at every get together. He likely wont ask, and likely wont turn down an invite.

He might try and horn in on your treasured territory, or he might turn you on to some of his.

You may run out of steel because you got your line set twice as fast because of the help, the old guy might lend you some of his.

You might run shy of stretchers due to twice the catch twice as fast as you are used to, again the old guy has those too. He probably has an extra freezer too.

You might break the truck from all this hard charging, big dollar trapping, yep, the old guy has one of those too.

You might run short on bait and lure from this adventure, he has that too.

He might work on your shed beer supply, he also might help get that large carci pile skunt.

You may have an impression that he is only a water trapper, or primarily a predator trapper, then again you might be surprised where his boots have tracked.

He might request that one black coyote, he might also dump off some extra pelts at your shed.

At one time I knew it all. As time went on I realized Grandpap got smarter and smarter the older I got.

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6557460
06/17/19 10:28 AM
06/17/19 10:28 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Well said.

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6557504
06/17/19 12:03 PM
06/17/19 12:03 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
very well said.i'm always lookin to share and the area aint bad.

my lifelong furbuyer/boss is retired now and my goal is to work on gettin him out.be it a little trappin or just a ride along or 2.i owe him forever.

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6557584
06/17/19 03:33 PM
06/17/19 03:33 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Yup!

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6557622
06/17/19 04:53 PM
06/17/19 04:53 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Several years ago a mutual member of a local sportsmen's club encouraged me to invite a guy that was dealing with serious medical issues to ride along to check my line . So I spoke to him and while he was lukewarm to the idea he did go with me a couple times Since than we have developed a good friendship . Now as we are out checking he will say hey we got one up ahead Or like last season as he waited for me to return from checking I chased out 5 buck together that ran right by my truck . He was as excited as an 8 year old on Christmas morning .Remember we all can be in a position of still wanting to be involved but in need of a little help just to get out .If you have a chance get somebody that still wants to go a ride for a few days . It will be worth it for both of you

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6557971
06/18/19 09:09 AM
06/18/19 09:09 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I have some friends much older than I am , one stopped by for a visit after some small talk he said he was having trouble catching coyotes in the snares and he was going out checking his line the next morning.
Together we went out and I redid 4 snares just a few slight changes here and there, his next check he had 3 dead coyotes waiting he still talks about that.
Allan

Re: Take an old guy with [Re: Wright Brothers] #6558207
06/18/19 04:49 PM
06/18/19 04:49 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
I just read an article around fathers day about a young man who said when he was about 14 years old that his old man didn't hardly know a thing. Later he stated when he progressed into his 20's that it was amazing how much his father had learned in those dozen years! I'll be darned if that wasn't something how his dad had learned so much in that time span.

I guess we've all been there.

Every time I return to north Missouri I go to the old country grave yard and have a chat with my old man.

What I wouldn't give to spend just one afternoon with him again.

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread