No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Macthediver] #6557386
06/17/19 08:37 AM
06/17/19 08:37 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Macthediver
Gnats are terrible bad here right now. Was just on the news how the local humane society has several young redtail hawks. Apparently the gnats bother the young ones to the point they bail out of the nest to early..I've heard where gnats and flies where bad enough to run some females birds off their nest before eggs hatched. Never heard about the fledges bailing to early because of bugs....So it seems to many of anything in nature is not good for something else in nature..
I'm pretty sure it was probably getting rid of the DDT the reason we have more birds..Maybe why more ticks and gnats too?? But we seem to have more of just about every kind of bird here[/b].some say it has to do with climate change as it's warmer??[b]
I got no idea just know there seems to be no shortage of birds of prey or geese, swans, cranes, pelicans, cormorants, etc,etc..

Mac

[b][/b]
Just had the coolest Fathers day on record.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557391
06/17/19 08:44 AM
06/17/19 08:44 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
I'm not much of a raptor fan but I will tolerate Chicken (Redtailed) Hawks. The one major thing (change) that saved the birds of prey was when the chicken production went totally INDOORS. I tell that to Raptor Recovery people and they have no clue what I am talking about. It wasn't the "acceptance of natural order" as a lot of huggers want you to believe that caused their comeback. In the 50's, 60"s and even into the 70"s every chicken/turkey/duck raising operation had a 12 ga. single shot handy to to put each predatory visiter in its grave ASAP! Hawk, owl, crow --it made no difference they were eliminated. And now since the birds are "under roof" the hawks are tolerated. I have fed hawks and eagles from my carcass piles here on the farm for years (If people can feed chickadees and juncos then I can feed hawks and eagles). I have had as many as 11 mature bald eagles (white headed buzzards to some) perched on and around my coon pile along with an assortment of buteos (redtails, red shoulders etc. etc) at one time. They were so accustomed to me that when I would take a few carcasses down with the tractor to dump on the pile, they would just walk out of the way (not fly) and wait until I dumped them. Then they would walk back up to the pile and continue feeding. I led burning crews on CRP grass fields for over 10 years and the amount of hawks that showed up to feed on the injured rodents and rabbits was pretty impressive. As far as favorites to observe I go with a Cooper's Hawk darting through the timber, a Sparrow Hawk nabbing grasshoppers from a cut hay field,,,,,,,, or a Marsh (a.k.a. Harrier or White Butt) Hawk suspended over the cattails......... That is Nature to me. the mike

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Getting There] #6557437
06/17/19 09:54 AM
06/17/19 09:54 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Getting There
Let manage the deer population, Michigan had 56,000 car deer accidents last year. Nice to hear others like watching our raptors. JMO

Man can't manage the deer population worth a dam.
We have way too many deer and until we can get them under control I'm vehemently against "managing" raptors.
I can see the down side of too many deer on walk thru my property but I see no downsides of supposedly too many raptors.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Dirty D] #6557448
06/17/19 10:10 AM
06/17/19 10:10 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Let manage the deer population, Michigan had 56,000 car deer accidents last year. Nice to hear others like watching our raptors. JMO

We have way too many deer and until we can get them under control I'm vehemently against "managing" raptors.
I can see the down side of too many deer on walk thru my property but I see no downsides of supposedly too many raptors.

You might not see a downside, if you don't snare out west, but I lose coyotes fox and bobcats to them dang things every year. They can't wait till I get the skin off so they can feast, gotta take it off "their way", and there ain't enough dental floss in the country to put them back together again!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557455
06/17/19 10:14 AM
06/17/19 10:14 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio

You might not see a downside, if you don't snare out west, but I lose coyotes fox and bobcats to them dang things every year. They can't wait till I get the skin off so they can feast, gotta take it off "their way", and there ain't enough dental floss in the country to put them back together again![/quote]
Totally agree with u fellow dinosaur grin

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Wanna Be] #6557595
06/17/19 03:47 PM
06/17/19 03:47 PM
South MS
dublelung Offline
trapper
dublelung  Offline
trapper

South MS
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Hawks are our worst predator down South. Quail chicks and poults take a beating from them. I do not share everyone’s opinion on them, lol. I think they need regulated like every other predator. We try and keep a healthy rabbit and rodent population for them to help save the fowl. Did I mention they need regulated as well?!?!

We're on the same page. They'll wipe out free range chickens very quickly.

They are beautiful birds and I enjoy watching them........about ten miles away from my chickens.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: patrapper1989] #6557678
06/17/19 06:35 PM
06/17/19 06:35 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Originally Posted by patrapper1989
Hahaha do you work for the PGC? No way its 90% mortality. Who performed that study?

I don’t even know what the PGC is. But, I’m a licensed falconer and have seen that statistic quoted in various books and study materials. Part of the reason we aren’t allowed to take birds from the wild that have survived their first year of life. I’ve actively monitored nests for trapping reasons and have seen, on countless occasions, all of the offspring wiped out before fledging. I can’t give you specific details on the data, I just know it’s what I’ve always seen/read.

Lifetime member - ATA, AFTA
Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557709
06/17/19 07:54 PM
06/17/19 07:54 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline
trapper
B

Missouri
Lose 3 otters in 60' to eagles and tell me how great they are. It all boils down to if your ox has yet been gored. And it will be.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Broomchaser] #6557747
06/17/19 09:33 PM
06/17/19 09:33 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Broomchaser
Lose 3 otters in 60' to eagles and tell me how great they are. It all boils down to if your ox has yet been gored. And it will be.

Yep, kinda makes you not so fond of the bird brains after your work is all for nothing! Had a high dollar Wy cat ate up back some years, and I have not cared for natures air force since!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: Dirty D] #6557766
06/17/19 09:58 PM
06/17/19 09:58 PM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
Originally Posted by Dirty D

Man could manage the deer population just fine but he won't because those permit fees are cash cows to the various states game departments. They don't want lower populations, they want the money. It's like welfare for the DNR, collect the money and the farmers and drivers foot the bills. Lower tag fees, give away bonus tags and make it mandatory to kill a doe before an antlered permit is issued. I remember when we didn't have deer and the first deer season was when I was in high school and if a deer was hit on the highway it would make the front page of our newspaper. Now in the accident reports in the paper it's car vs. deer year round and not just a few either.

If you lived around here you will lose fur to raptors every year. They need managed like everything else.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557781
06/17/19 10:12 PM
06/17/19 10:12 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Raptors are managed, they just aren’t hunted.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557845
06/17/19 11:11 PM
06/17/19 11:11 PM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
I should have said instead of a blanket protection management strategy a management strategy that allows a limited take of raptors should be in place. I can't imagine the redtail population here having any trouble with that. I don't understand the people that think all raptors need protection from any sort of take any more than I do the people that are of the same mind about wolves.

Re: Red Tail Hawks [Re: SGT. C] #6557856
06/17/19 11:38 PM
06/17/19 11:38 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Look into how wind farms are allowed a “take.” I get what you’re saying, but overturning the MBTA would be nearly impossible. I’m pretty sure there are avenues through which someone can legally eliminate depredating raptors. I’m all for management and I’m not saying blanket protection, either. I just don’t know enough about them and their populations to really formulate an opinion, either way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread