No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559059
06/20/19 11:27 AM
06/20/19 11:27 AM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline OP
trapper
Mike C  Offline OP
trapper
M

Ohio
Thanks for the info.

Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Northmocats] #6559085
06/20/19 12:10 PM
06/20/19 12:10 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Northmocats
I say keep it concealed in the Car . Its your 2nd Amendment right.. You have no legal obligation to tell anyone your carrying a firearm. And no cop can search your vehicle without a Probable cause.. So just drive like normal and arrive alive.

I wouldn't try that argument in court.

Everything depends on the state you are in. The laws in each state are different and it's the gun owners obligation to be familiar with those laws.

Just because Ohio honors all state's permits does not mean other states honor Ohio permits.

Neither IL nor MN honor Ohio permits. I would avoid even traveling through those states.

Mean As Nails
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: white17] #6559118
06/20/19 01:08 PM
06/20/19 01:08 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by white17
I say keep it concealed in the Car . Its your 2nd Amendment right.. You have no legal obligation to tell anyone your carrying a firearm. And no cop can search your vehicle without a Probable cause.. So just drive like normal and arrive alive.

Everything depends on the state you are in. The laws in each state are different and it's the gun owners obligation to be familiar with those laws.

Just because Ohio honors all state's permits does not mean other states honor Ohio permits.

Neither IL nor MN honor Ohio permits. I would avoid even traveling through those states.

I sure wouldnt proceed with that mind set either.

Ive done a lot of traveling, with my Utah CCW , which covers many states ,pistol and shotgun in tow.

I always contact PD in any state Ill be driving through , before I leave, and find out from them what the requirements are. They always appreciate my forthright inquiry, and I have never had any trouble as a result. Doing that way, you are told any details in how to deal with ammo, stowing your firearm, etc .

It isnt just about driving " like normal ". Break downs along the roads happen as well as accidents. When you are set beforehand , when the trooper arrives , no stress or worries.

When I helped a friend move , driving a semi with her things, towing her Lexus on its own trailer, cross country from Montana to south Texas, I knew exactly every states requirements ahead of time , and my mind was totally at ease in that subject the whole way. Even the state that wasnt on my Utah CCW list then, was still cooperative in giving me details and all thanked me for calling to ask ahead of time.

It never hurts to ask....and so traveling through any state is stress free and incident free.

Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559142
06/20/19 02:02 PM
06/20/19 02:02 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Here is the federal law on the matter.

United States Code Title 18-Part I-Chapter 44§926A.Interstate Transportation of Firearms Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Mean As Nails
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559152
06/20/19 02:19 PM
06/20/19 02:19 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
There are some good posts here but there are far too many who are promoting breaking the law. Rather disappointing.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6559231
06/20/19 04:38 PM
06/20/19 04:38 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
There are some good posts here but there are far too many who are promoting breaking the law. Rather disappointing.

Marbury Vs. Madison, was one of the important cases that established the authority of the Supreme Court to be an equal 3rd branch of government. In that case, the supreme court ruled that "A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void." I believe that state laws that prevent keeping (owning) or bearing (carrying) arms are therefore void and anyone who defies those laws is doing so morally and legally.

That said, I live in NJ where nobody can get a CCW and several people every year find themselves facing prison for exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights when traveling through NJ. Many don't even realize that doing so is illegal here.

-Ryan
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559245
06/20/19 05:00 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
El-Annoy has NO RECIPROCITY with ANY state!!!!! As stated, any firearms must be unloaded, cased with ammo kept apart.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: white17] #6559246
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted by white17

Yeah - there's this thing called "duty to inform" - that means you must tell an officer if you have a weapon in your vehicle - immediately.
Amazing how we can drive a vehicle all across the country with a diver's license - which is a privilege.
But we must jump through a myriad of hoops to exercise a Constitutional right!

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559267
06/20/19 05:30 PM
06/20/19 05:30 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Used to be in Iowa, each COUNTY, had it's own gun laws, state was a crazy quilt of gun laws.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559282
06/20/19 05:47 PM
06/20/19 05:47 PM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline OP
trapper
Mike C  Offline OP
trapper
M

Ohio
Thanks for the additional advice. Kind of hard taking the grandkids from Ohio to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore without going through Illinois. Time wise, we will be stopping in Illinois out and back (400 miles a day is a good pace for us and the young'uns.) Ohio to Iowa is just too far, much easier for all to just properly store the firearm. I wonder how far I would get with the law by saying "I was on trapperman and they said go pound salt, the constitution says..."

Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559338
06/20/19 07:21 PM
06/20/19 07:21 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I have often pondered this myself if I were to travel. I carry daily here in Nebraska and with it being concealed I've literally never had an issue as I've never had to use it or expose it. I've also not been pulled over for the last 16 years so I really don't know how it would go down even here in Nebraska. I've come to the conclusion if I was traveling for vacation I'd probably just leave the CC at home. If I'm going to a location I think I might need it I probably shouldn't be heading there anyways. Not worth the headaches and possible issues to me, but to each his own.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6559449
06/20/19 10:23 PM
06/20/19 10:23 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

It is very true that some advice here is in conflict with local (state) laws.

It is also true that some of those sovereign state laws may be contrary to the US Constitution.

It is up to the individual to decide if the risk of government retaliation is worth the possible repercussions of not being able to defend yourself. The individual also needs to consider what might be the odds of either outcome.

Personally, if there were no malicious intent, I would not judge either decision negatively.

PS: in a court of law, or anywhere else for that matter, my judgement don't mean squat.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559489
06/20/19 11:34 PM
06/20/19 11:34 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
federal safe transport law

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: CCW Permit while traveling [Re: Mike C] #6559492
06/20/19 11:40 PM
06/20/19 11:40 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Mike C
Ohio resident going on a trip and towing a camper that will take me through Minnesota and Illinois. Ohio has reciprocity with the other states I will be driving through. Question: what method(s) do I need to use when traveling through these two states? I am guessing gun unloaded, locked in a case in the trailer with the ammo in the truck. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't mean to sound condescending. It is not my intention. However, there is plenty of information all over the internet about this from not only reliable sources but state sources. The fact that you are on here asking disheartens me. Take some responsibility and do some research! Don't ask and rely on a bunch of people that you probably have never even met! Carrying a firearm is not a joke and by posting this question, to me, you are treating it as one. Maybe you should leave the firearm at home? Maybe you are not ready for the responsibility?

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread