No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
High power air rifles #6560318
06/22/19 10:25 AM
06/22/19 10:25 AM
Bemidji, MN
J
Jacks Offline OP
trapper
Jacks  Offline OP
trapper
J

Bemidji, MN
Is there such a thing as a high power air rifle for varmints? Such as geese and beavers at 20-75 yards. Can you get a kill power like a 22 with the high end models? If so it would much easier and less bs to have at my place in canada. You can have a rifle but it sure is more responsibility and regs than it is in the us

Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560329
06/22/19 10:55 AM
06/22/19 10:55 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Same rules apply to those high power air rifles as a long rifle here. Any air rifle that shoots over 500 FPS.

Cold as ice!
Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560333
06/22/19 11:00 AM
06/22/19 11:00 AM
ontario canada
taser Offline
trapper
taser  Offline
trapper

ontario canada
495 ft actually. what's the big deal going about getting your firearms licence?

Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560350
06/22/19 11:44 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Originally Posted by Jacks
Is there such a thing as a high power air rifle for varmints? Such as geese and beavers at 20-75 yards. Can you get a kill power like a 22 with the high end models? If so it would much easier and less bs to have at my place in canada. You can have a rifle but it sure is more responsibility and regs than it is in the us

Absolutely, check out Pyrimyd Air [I might have spelled that wrong...] they have all kinds of powerful air rifles all the way up to .50 cal !!
*I happen to be a huge fan and collector of Diana/RWS air rifles, but there are many other good brands too which they sell.

I have an Air Venturi Wing shot that will shoot either .50 cal rounds or specially made shot gun type shells.
I've never had a chance to use it yet, as I still need to get the pump for it - but they claim it can be used for what you are looking for,

Not sure what the regs are in Canada, but in CT here in the States it's ok to have air rifles - license is not needed for just plinking, etc... but if hunting - they are treated the same exact way as long rifles, although if being used to dispatch while trapping, then oddly enough the air rifle is then considered a tool [for dispatch only...]

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560351
Bemidji, MN
J
Jacks Offline OP
trapper
Jacks  Offline OP
trapper
J

Bemidji, MN
I actailly taken the class just have to send of paperwork. But there is responsibly with leaving gun attended that i would rather not get into. I cant bring a rifle up for varmints new law passed in Ontario i am told. Only can for hunting which would mean i would have to leave for next year varmint season. I am sure if i didnt do anything exactly buy the book as a none Canadian citizen they would try to make an example out of me. Just looking for a less intrusive means to the same ends

Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560356
06/22/19 11:55 AM
06/22/19 11:55 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Originally Posted by Jacks
I actailly taken the class just have to send of paperwork. But there is responsibly with leaving gun attended that i would rather not get into. I cant bring a rifle up for varmints new law passed in Ontario i am told. Only can for hunting which would mean i would have to leave for next year varmint season. I am sure if i didnt do anything exactly buy the book as a none Canadian citizen they would try to make an example out of me. Just looking for a less intrusive means to the same ends

You might want to research laws regarding air rifle's out where you are, as here in the States - the laws regarding air rifle's are not the same in each state, and I think in some places air rifles are flat out illegal.

Today's modern air rifle is no joke.
They are crazy powerful and expensive - you can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on some of these air rifles being made today, especially if into competition shooting.

We were sighting my Diana .22 that has a barrel which floats when the side leaver [which is two stage] is cocked, my neighbor who has been hunting deer for close to 60 years said that this air rifle is so powerful it could be used to kill a deer if the shot is well placed, and that air rifle packed more of a kick [*and was I think even louder] than his rim fire .22 rifle while we were doing comparison tests so, if Canada has tough laws on regular long guns/rifles, i'd be careful with an air rifle until you know for sure what you can and cannot do with it.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560491
06/22/19 05:47 PM
06/22/19 05:47 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
.30 cal is the ticket

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560493
06/22/19 05:49 PM
06/22/19 05:49 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Some are advertised at 1325 fps and will kill hogs and deer not toys by any means and nothing new Lewis and Clark had one they used to kill game with I think it was German made.

Re: High power air rifles [Re: Jacks] #6560536
06/22/19 07:58 PM
06/22/19 07:58 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
In Canada, you need a firearm license to buy/own a high power air rifle.

High powered air rifles are noisier than a .22 shooting low velocity ammunition unless you buy a fully shrouded one like the Benjamin Marauder or Hatsan QE models. But you start paying for quiet because the rifles cost as much as a decent .22 and you'll need something to fill them with (they run on pressurized air).

A .22 carries more energy further downrange than a pellet. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what's downrange.

The Hatsan 135 Carnivore is a bit of a beast. Don't own it, but reviews are decent. Quality can be an issue with Hatsan, though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread