Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Liquid something [Re: ambush32] #6565184
06/30/19 06:50 AM
06/30/19 06:50 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Danny my wife learned long ago when I bring in a bottle or jar for her to smell she already has her head turned away and giving me threats like if you come any closer LOL.

Re: Liquid something [Re: TNcat] #6565238
06/30/19 08:51 AM
06/30/19 08:51 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by TNcat
Originally Posted by AJE
Mixing urine in with bait sounds unusual.

Nope not unusual at all..

Agreed!

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Liquid something [Re: danny clifton] #6565239
06/30/19 08:53 AM
06/30/19 08:53 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by danny clifton
but she wont smell anything in a jar anymore blush

mine is the opposite, and wants to know if THAT bottle smells worse than the last, or better.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Liquid something [Re: ambush32] #6567223
07/03/19 11:50 AM
07/03/19 11:50 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Got a little action..this coyote crossed the pipeline 2 track and took the edge of the grass down to the bait.
If anything I'm learning that I know very little about how they approach a bait, my thought was he'd come straight into the bait off the 2 track..idk

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Liquid something [Re: Bob Jameson] #6567662
07/04/19 04:17 AM
07/04/19 04:17 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Danny my wife learned long ago when I bring in a bottle or jar for her to smell she already has her head turned away and giving me threats like if you come any closer LOL.

I may re-arrange your family jewels you come Any closer with that stinking stuff , Dear Ms. Barb . smile

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 07/04/19 05:24 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: Liquid something [Re: ambush32] #6573466
07/13/19 11:06 PM
07/13/19 11:06 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Cattail fluff might serve as a thickening agent without altering the smell to much and the price is right!

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Liquid something [Re: ambush32] #6589675
08/07/19 07:15 AM
08/07/19 07:15 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Charlie Dobbins wrote a section in his land trapping book about canines and stinky rotten smells. He seems pretty spot on with how they roll on something smelly then immediately want to go urinate on something nearby. He tested it on the neighbors dogs too.
He used the setup of a piece of hide with smelly stuff on it staked down, then make a post set nearby at a prominent object like a rock, stick, etc. Give them a place to go pee to satisfy that urge to mark something nearby after rolling on the smelly piece of hide.
Rather than setting the smelly object, if they are rolling then they are not on their feet and all you catch are flank hairs and not feet. But a post set nearby connects with a foot, desired catch rate goes up.
If they are digging at the dirthole with your liquid, that's a good sign. They have to be on their feet to dig, good set and attractor. If they are rolling not so good for catching feet but you can play on that canine instinct by putting a post set a few yards away and nail them with that.
I use rotten fish down a dirthole myself and always a post set nearby. I quit setting the rotten fish dirthole and just set the post set nearby. Much fewer possums and had way better luck on coyotes with this arrangement.
The other trick I learned from this book was to put the rotten liquid into a two liter pop bottle with cotton inside to soak up the stinky concoction. Wire that up high in a tree with bigger base end facing north and smaller opening facing south...the prevailing breeze direction for our area in winter.
After wiring it up, cut the bottom base bigger end off, open the cap, and let the breeze carry that scent clear to the south. Use it as a drawing card to bring animals from adjacent properties to your sets.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 08/07/19 07:19 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Liquid something [Re: ambush32] #6589863
08/07/19 11:47 AM
08/07/19 11:47 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I have a couple of 5 gal buckets with gamma lids that have been out for 3 years with deer meat. I also use them as an attractor to pull coyote across the creek to my property. I just unscrew the lid a little to do this the rest of the time there tight.
My wife's cousin didn't know what they were and opened the lid on one during the summer to take a peek just about done him in
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Liquid something [Re: jabNE] #6590024
08/07/19 03:28 PM
08/07/19 03:28 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted by jabNE
Charlie Dobbins wrote a section in his land trapping book about canines and stinky rotten smells. He seems pretty spot on with how they roll on something smelly then immediately want to go urinate on something nearby. He tested it on the neighbors dogs too.
He used the setup of a piece of hide with smelly stuff on it staked down, then make a post set nearby at a prominent object like a rock, stick, etc. Give them a place to go pee to satisfy that urge to mark something nearby after rolling on the smelly piece of hide.
Rather than setting the smelly object, if they are rolling then they are not on their feet and all you catch are flank hairs and not feet. But a post set nearby connects with a foot, desired catch rate goes up.
If they are digging at the dirthole with your liquid, that's a good sign. They have to be on their feet to dig, good set and attractor. If they are rolling not so good for catching feet but you can play on that canine instinct by putting a post set a few yards away and nail them with that.
I use rotten fish down a dirthole myself and always a post set nearby. I quit setting the rotten fish dirthole and just set the post set nearby. Much fewer possums and had way better luck on coyotes with this arrangement.
The other trick I learned from this book was to put the rotten liquid into a two liter pop bottle with cotton inside to soak up the stinky concoction. Wire that up high in a tree with bigger base end facing north and smaller opening facing south...the prevailing breeze direction for our area in winter.
After wiring it up, cut the bottom base bigger end off, open the cap, and let the breeze carry that scent clear to the south. Use it as a drawing card to bring animals from adjacent properties to your sets.
Jim

Great write up...thanks

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91