No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564140
06/28/19 02:46 PM
06/28/19 02:46 PM
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
R
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper
Riverotter2  Offline
trapper
R

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
It called a meal for southern snakes, lol.

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gulo] #6564167
06/28/19 03:30 PM
06/28/19 03:30 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Gulo
Taximan -

Over on your side of the hill, you've got eastern racers (according to the "experts") rather than western racers. In my opinion, they are basically one-in-the-same. I'm just barely on the west slope of the Continental Divide (3 miles from my place to the Divide), and I have no doubt that the eastern and westerns cross back and forth through Lemhi and Bannock Passes. I've caught them right at Lemhi Pass (>7,000' elevation), and right now, I don't buy the argument that they are "different" sub-species of snakes. Morphologically, I can tell no differences. You also got the rubber boas over there?

Jack

Don't even get me started on snake taxonomy. I don't think the biologists know any more than us lay people.

Rat snakes have gone from Elaphe to Patherophis. Once there were multiple subspecies now just three species even though one can have at least three different patterns and all can intergrade. Water Moccasin went from one species to three subspecies to two species. Copperhead from four species with subspecies to two. Kings naked are now under review.

[Linked Image]
Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gulo] #6564171
06/28/19 03:44 PM
06/28/19 03:44 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Taximan -

Over on your side of the hill, you've got eastern racers (according to the "experts") rather than western racers. In my opinion, they are basically one-in-the-same. I'm just barely on the west slope of the Continental Divide (3 miles from my place to the Divide), and I have no doubt that the eastern and westerns cross back and forth through Lemhi and Bannock Passes. I've caught them right at Lemhi Pass (>7,000' elevation), and right now, I don't buy the argument that they are "different" sub-species of snakes. Morphologically, I can tell no differences. You also got the rubber boas over there?

Jack

Yes,I have seen they are called Eastern but I don't get it either.They look the same to me.The ones I used to catch back East were gun metal black and grew bigger.I caught one that was 64".

Yes,we have rubber boas.I don't see them often but have caught a couple.After showing one to the rancher,he says they find them around their houses occasionally.I also caught a couple,outside of Reno,NV,quite a few years ago.That is a great photograph you show there.

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564187
06/28/19 04:12 PM
06/28/19 04:12 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Hattis Bandis

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Taximan] #6564191
06/28/19 04:21 PM
06/28/19 04:21 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Taximan
Taximan -

Jack

Yes,I have seen they are called Eastern but I don't get it either.They look the same to me.The ones I used to catch back East were gun metal black and grew bigger.I caught one that was 64".

Yes,we have rubber boas.I don't see them often but have caught a couple.After showing one to the rancher,he says they find them around their houses occasionally.I also caught a couple,outside of Reno,NV,quite a few years ago.That is a great photograph you show there.

That is exactly what Ive been doing also, hoping to find one of those boas warming up on the round river stones from the residual heat of the house. Howevah.....the vents pour out very cool air from under the cabin even in the warmest summer temps , so I dont search in those places . Cant wait to find one cool

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564195
06/28/19 04:29 PM
06/28/19 04:29 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I suspect the rubber boas are very common, but they are certainly shy and you don't find them very often. During the heat of the summer, they are largely nocturnal. I just looked at my notes, and have only caught (or found as roadkills) 79 of them in this country since 2008. I'll keep looking...

Jack

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564198
06/28/19 04:35 PM
06/28/19 04:35 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
Saw my first rubber boa this year during turkey season, in Kootenai county, very cool snake!

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564337
06/28/19 08:20 PM
06/28/19 08:20 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
Gulo

Yes I think it was the racer. We have a lot of the rubber boas so it wasn't that. I also remember a fairly small snake that was super feisty, it wasn't big enough to hit above your boots but it would almost always strike. Unfortunately I can't remember what it looked like. If I have a chance and remember the next time I am out there I will go dig through that old rock pile and see if they are still there.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564362
06/28/19 08:45 PM
06/28/19 08:45 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Sundance -

Your feisty small snake may have been a western racer as well. They are the only Idaho snake that looks entirely different from the adults during their first year of life, and they pretty much always seem to be feisty. Perhaps this little guy?

[Linked Image]

Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564372
06/28/19 08:59 PM
06/28/19 08:59 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
It could be I just don't remember. Mom still owns the property so I am going to look for it.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: What kinda snake is this? Idaho [Re: Gary Benson] #6564376
06/28/19 09:03 PM
06/28/19 09:03 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Easterns also have a juvenile and adult pattern. The juvenile pattern is easily mistaken for a grey rat. The adult is jet black. And yes definitely feisty if cornered.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread