Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Digging Response #6565835
07/01/19 08:03 AM
07/01/19 08:03 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
This is a vast question I know

Was wondering what would one put in a bait solution to cause a digging response? Coyote

I’m breaking down some venison and would like to add something in it..

Thanks

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565873
07/01/19 08:53 AM
07/01/19 08:53 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Trial and error with ingredients, what triggers a digging response for some doesn't mean you will have the same results. Take a look around at all the people trying to come up with the next best thing with all the thousands of concoctions that are supposed to be the end all formulas. Lots of them folks are still looking. jmo, imho, jme

Last edited by TDHP; 07/01/19 08:58 AM.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565930
07/01/19 10:41 AM
07/01/19 10:41 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Seems to me that the last thing you want Is a critter digging at the set. Seems to me that can and would create lots of Issues with dug up and snapped traps. But that's just how I feel about It.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565956
07/01/19 12:11 PM
07/01/19 12:11 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Buy or make some sun rendered fish oil. Catfish trout spoonbills are all good. Pressed wont work

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565964
07/01/19 12:24 PM
07/01/19 12:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Ambush
From my experience a sun rendered fish oil is a great place start as an additive. Ive heard really good things about beaver tail oil but haven't tested it yet myself to speak on it. My personal favorite, and I think Asa was the one to share it on here, is rotten down muskrat gland.

Beav u should dig some mock sets and see if the coyotes will dig at your Rick Casper bait. A lot of good baits and lures will get a digging response down a hole in my experience.

Sorry Danny, didn't see your post about fish oil when I started typing

Last edited by Yes sir; 07/01/19 12:25 PM.
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565988
07/01/19 01:19 PM
07/01/19 01:19 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Thanks all good info

My initial thoughts on the digging came from a bait I purchased a couple years ago and boy did it create a digging response even many weeks after I have removed my traps I’d go by a see where coyotes or fox had dug it up..

Of course I’m still using it and I’m not trying to duplicate just an interest as what might cause this response and would be fun to try and make a little just to see what happens..

Yes sir funny you mentioned the beaver tail oil it’s on my to do list..

As far as the sun rendered fish oil, can anyone point me to a good supplier that I can get it from..

Thanks

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6565990
07/01/19 01:27 PM
07/01/19 01:27 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Bob Jameson for sun rendered trout or Sudden Valley for spoonbill oil

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566002
07/01/19 01:48 PM
07/01/19 01:48 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
To my way of thinking what triggers a digging response is something down the hole that is so attractive that the animal wants to taste it or roll on it so bad that it will spend the time and energy to try to get it out for those purposes. With that said from my experience some coyotes are more likely to dig than others. I've got some spots that the majority of the things I test will get dug and other areas that no matter what I test it just gets a sniff down the hole if it's good and that's it.

Re: Digging Response [Re: Yes sir] #6566038
07/01/19 02:33 PM
07/01/19 02:33 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TNcat Offline
trapper
TNcat  Offline
trapper
T

Middle Tennessee
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Bob Jameson for sun rendered trout or Sudden Valley for spoonbill oil

I use trout oil in my bait solution...

Beav ... the critter should have a foot in a trap before digging much ..

IT'S A SOUTHERN THANG
Y'ALL WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

NRA member
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566039
07/01/19 02:38 PM
07/01/19 02:38 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Coyotes and fox will dig just because there Is fresh dirt at a hole It's what they do. I want to catch that critter before It has a chance to dig up my set. Lots of bad things can happen when a critter starts to dig and rolling. They can cover a trap with dirt so It won't go off they can hook a jaw and then your trap Is out of the bed. But If you want to get them digging It's up to you.

Re: Digging Response [Re: The Beav] #6566046
07/01/19 02:53 PM
07/01/19 02:53 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TNcat Offline
trapper
TNcat  Offline
trapper
T

Middle Tennessee
Originally Posted by The Beav
Coyotes and fox will dig just because there Is fresh dirt at a hole It's what they do. I want to catch that critter before It has a chance to dig up my set. Lots of bad things can happen when a critter starts to dig and rolling. They can cover a trap with dirt so It won't go off they can hook a jaw and then your trap Is out of the bed. But If you want to get them digging It's up to you.

I use pipe sets mostly...sheep wool and bait solution. Just like grab sticks. I put my dirt hole about one foot away from my lure , just for eye appeal .

Last edited by TNcat; 07/01/19 02:57 PM.

IT'S A SOUTHERN THANG

NRA member
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566063
07/01/19 03:22 PM
07/01/19 03:22 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Thanks

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566075
07/01/19 03:49 PM
07/01/19 03:49 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
My way of thinking(I know little)is if that type of bait triggered or set him into seeking out what is in that hole he’s going to work it hard enough and hopefully I get the trap on him before he starts to dig..idk
I can see the digging being a problem if you miss him prior to..but we never miss right..ha

The one bait I have from a maker has just out performed most others I’ve used and this bait creates this response around my area anyways..caught red gray fox and coyote using it..

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566082
07/01/19 04:01 PM
07/01/19 04:01 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
If you really want to find out how they approach and get an idea of how they circle or do before they start digging or what ever else tickles ya soul, put a cam up and start watching them. You will learn a lot more than just folks telling you to dump this and that while not knowing why you're adding an ingredient, when all that isn't necessary to create interest in that animal. Takes a lot, but not all of the guessing game out of the equation on effectiveness etc and potentially should prevent you from starting to create all types of test batches while waiting years for them to yield the gold and then going out to buy the chemistry set that will be the next thing you'll have to worry about because you may need to be that precise when it comes down to the drop of an ingredient. Then trying to create something based on someone else and their "experience", which turns out to put many back in the same forums asking for other ideas.

You can sit and read a ton of great ideas on paper or on a computer, but how great are these ideas if you have the same questions popping up on attracting animals with the same answers when it comes to ingredients, then have the same ingredients have little to no attraction to the animal they seek? IMHO, jmo, jm2c and any other formal opinion layout I forgot to add, I believe if you have the skill set to set yourself up for success in the basics when it comes to trap placement, then you will be ahead of the game. That goes for virtually any animal you are after. Getting them there and manipulating them in getting them to move at the hole by holding their interest is all that should be needed and is very easy to do.

I don't believe you need them to create craters if you have the skill set in trap placement and then really trying to understand how the animal you are after operates when it comes down to feeding habits, behavior through out the year not just during the months you trap etc. Just a basic understanding of the animals you seek to trap will put more fur in the area you trap, not necessarily in your traps because I believe it takes more than bait and lure to be successful at trapping in general.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566107
07/01/19 04:41 PM
07/01/19 04:41 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Thanks TDHP

I’m basically just playing around but also just curious as to what triggers a canine to react differently to different types of baits or lures..in my mind it’s teaching me how or maybe understand how to use these baits or lures..I’m guilty of using whatever feels good at the moment while making a set..
But I’m also guilty of trying to pin down areas where coyotes frequent or how they use an area..
I understand how important it is to set on location, not saying I figured this out either but I spend a lot of time trying..so, let’s say I’m on location do I just not bait it or lure it because I’m on location?
Probably not, I want him to work my set..Understandable there is no magic potion out there but some do work better than others..imo

This can be applied to many types of hunting..Most of my time was spent archery hunting for deer.
while my friends were dumping bait, mineral blocks, and every type of magic in a bottle I was figuring out how to hunt them without all this stuff and did quite well for my area, I’m no monster buck killer but I can quickly find areas that deer use most of the time..I was to poor and lazy to keep up with the baiting process..energy was used to figure out how deer use an area..
This is just like trapping except I’m not there in a tree with an arrow to slice through my target animal all I have is my trap so I need a little help to capture this animal...bait urine lure

Thanks for your input I appreciate it..

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566196
07/01/19 08:00 PM
07/01/19 08:00 PM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
most of the time before they start digging they put their nose in the hole. Then both front feet. And like beave said can kick a lot of dirt over your trap or kick it out of its bed. The Paul Harvey version (rest of the story) is no matter what you do stuff can go wrong.

The devil is in the details

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566310
07/01/19 10:49 PM
07/01/19 10:49 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
All they have to do is walk up, getting them there is the easy part. Pics and video will help you out a lot.

[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566459
07/02/19 09:18 AM
07/02/19 09:18 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Maybe I need to rethink this idk...my thoughts were to keep the coyotes feet moving at the set or keep his interest in what's down that hole..If he comes in doesn't really care what's in the hole he off and on his way as quick as he came in...

Certainly not good if he's kicking dirt around and kicks the trap out..

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566474
07/02/19 09:52 AM
07/02/19 09:52 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by ambush32
My way of thinking(I know little)is if that type of bait triggered or set him into seeking out what is in that hole he’s going to work it hard enough and hopefully I get the trap on him before he starts to dig..idk
I can see the digging being a problem if you miss him prior to..but we never miss right..ha

The one bait I have from a maker has just out performed most others I’ve used and this bait creates this response around my area anyways..caught red gray fox and coyote using it..

Read your last sentence.... now your letting what u read on the internet supersede what the animals tell....

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566477
07/02/19 09:56 AM
07/02/19 09:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I like em to dig. I don’t want them to sniff and leave.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566480
07/02/19 10:01 AM
07/02/19 10:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Even something they will dig they dont run in and start digging. They will stepall over first

Re: Digging Response [Re: danny clifton] #6566543
07/02/19 11:44 AM
07/02/19 11:44 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I like em to dig. I don’t want them to sniff and leave.

A lot of the trappers I deal with are on the same page and there are a bunch who are good or lucky and just need them to walk into the set. To each their own

Maybe I need to rethink this idk...my thoughts were to keep the coyotes feet moving at the set or keep his interest in what's down that hole..If he comes in doesn't really care what's in the hole he off and on his way as quick as he came in...

Certainly not good if he's kicking dirt around and kicks the trap out..

I wouldn't over think it or think too hard, some have hurt themselves doing that. Simplicity tends to make things a lot more clear. Take a look at the formulas that are floating around and the ingredient lists that are associated with them. If I was a betting man, I'd bet many have tried to formulate them and I would bet out of the many who have tried a lot of those folks are still asking for formulas that are supposed to call the animals in from miles away or magically make them appear. Getting an animal to a hole is elementary, what happens after that falls on the trapper in regards to appeal, type of set and understanding of that animal and the dynamics of the bigger picture. Lots of discussion on bait and lure but not many talking about what goes into the setup and ability to interpret what the animals are displaying when things go sideways.

my thoughts were

Watching them animals on cam and learning more about the animals you seek will change that very quickly and the what and why will make much more sense. Then when you think you got them, they will pull a switcheroo and you're back to square one, but it's well worth it if you are serious about trapping the animal you are after. It's repetitive but it's all true, there is no need to complicate what you are trying to do. jmo, imo, imho, jm2c

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566545
07/02/19 11:53 AM
07/02/19 11:53 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
[Linked Image]
Remember beav doesnt make coyote baits or lures but postes on the lure making thread and I doubt has made many or any mock sets to see the reactions he gets from his go to bait. My bet is he'd see a good amount of digging if he did.

4 out of 9 of TDHPs lure say they cause a digging reaction and 4 out of 10 of his bait are described as getting them to dig.

Danny's information seems to always line up with what I see from the coyotes. Some of the others just blow smoke to impress the sheep.

I've but in close to 2 hundred mock sets in in the last 12 months testing, Jamison's, Weiser's, Cavens, June's, Boone Lianes and my own stuff and will say good luck finding a really good lure or bait that doesn't cause a digging reaction.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566549
07/02/19 12:00 PM
07/02/19 12:00 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Funny the term and my name lately has been reffered to as blowing smoke or loud mouth. Please tell me what you really think I have broad shoulders.

Re: Digging Response [Re: tbn] #6566559
07/02/19 12:14 PM
07/02/19 12:14 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by tbn
Funny the term and my name lately has been reffered to as blowing smoke or loud mouth. Please tell me what you really think I have broad shoulders.

I think you tell it like you see it no punches held back and sometimes it comes across a little abrasive but I find there is alot of truth in what you say and it lines up with what I see. I listen when you share.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566561
07/02/19 12:17 PM
07/02/19 12:17 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
My apologies.Sometimes never know what side of the fence a guy is on. Carry on.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566567
07/02/19 12:34 PM
07/02/19 12:34 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
No worries sir

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566607
07/02/19 01:41 PM
07/02/19 01:41 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Yes sir
I bet that I have made more bait and lure tests and made more mock sets then you can count. I don't need to make my own lures or bait I test other lure and bait makers stuff. It has got me to where I don't ever have to second guess what bait/lure to use In each situation.
You can stumble around all you want and make and test different combos but I have It figured out and I didn't waste any time or sweat doing It. I only have about 60 years playing In the dirt catching critters.
My bait and lure combination doesn't lend It's self to much digging and If there Is some digging my trap placement allows for It
The other thing you have to realize Is that the type of set you make lends It's self to more digging then the bait/lure combination does.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566622
07/02/19 02:08 PM
07/02/19 02:08 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Wouldnt it be nice if all coyotes (and foxes) were the same so we could be sure when we found the secret potion that every one of them would do the exact same thing everytime?

But, that coyote wasnt hungry, that one was. That coyote was skiddish, that one wasnt. That fox wasnt curious, that one was...

....there is nothing that will cause the same reaction...

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566624
07/02/19 02:10 PM
07/02/19 02:10 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
And that Is the bottom line. All you can do Is play the averages and put out a lot of steel.

Re: Digging Response [Re: The Beav] #6566670
07/02/19 03:49 PM
07/02/19 03:49 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TNcat Offline
trapper
TNcat  Offline
trapper
T

Middle Tennessee
And that Is the bottom line. All you can do Is play the averages and put out a lot of steel.

X100%

IT'S A SOUTHERN THANG

NRA member
Re: Digging Response [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6566732
07/02/19 05:40 PM
07/02/19 05:40 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Wouldnt it be nice if all coyotes (and foxes) were the same so we could be sure when we found the secret potion that every one of them would do the exact same thing everytime?

But, that coyote wasnt hungry, that one was. That coyote was skiddish, that one wasnt. That fox wasnt curious, that one was...

....there is nothing that will cause the same reaction...

Think I found the magic potion..

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566757
07/02/19 06:37 PM
07/02/19 06:37 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Lol!

Stain removal.....yep!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Digging Response [Re: The Beav] #6566766
07/02/19 06:52 PM
07/02/19 06:52 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Yes sir
I bet that I have made more bait and lure tests and made more mock sets then you can count. I don't need to make my own lures or bait I test other lure and bait makers stuff. It has got me to where I don't ever have to second guess what bait/lure to use In each situation.
You can stumble around all you want and make and test different combos but I have It figured out and I didn't waste any time or sweat doing It. I only have about 60 years playing In the dirt catching critters.
My bait and lure combination doesn't lend It's self to much digging and If there Is some digging my trap placement allows for It
The other thing you have to realize Is that the type of set you make lends It's self to more digging then the bait/lure combination does.
Beav you talk so much you cant keep your stories straight. Another post you said you experimented for 40 some years to find the perfect combo then here you said you didnt waste any time or sweat finding it. So which is it no wasted time and sweat or more test sets than I can count and 40 some years?

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566776
07/02/19 07:14 PM
07/02/19 07:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I know that bait Kasper made gets them digging.

Have to agree nothing is 100%. Its why I posted this
most of the time before they start digging they put their nose in the hole. Then both front feet. And like beave said can kick a lot of dirt over your trap or kick it out of its bed. The Paul Harvey version (rest of the story) is no matter what you do stuff can go wrong.

Most of the time don't mean always. Nothing will get every one that finds it digging either. Stuff that makes MOST of them end up digging seems to keep them there longer,. moving around, stepping all over the place.

Seems like the basic response's to most stuff they show interest in is to eat it, rub on it, or pee on it (including kickbacks and or defecation) . The stuff that gets one to do all three at a flat set seems to catch more than anything that only has one or two response behaviors. The stuff that gets them ( most of them anyway) doing all three will USUALLY get one digging if its in a hole

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566789
07/02/19 07:34 PM
07/02/19 07:34 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Nice input ^^^^^

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6566791
07/02/19 07:36 PM
07/02/19 07:36 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin

My story Is perfectly straight I used ready made bait and lures In those 40 years Until I came up what would work In my area and my type of trapping.
I didn't spend hours of time grinding meat and making different lures that didn't work. And making mock sets during the summer months. I was testing while trapping and I used lures and bait that had already been tested and had a good track record.
Some lures/baits didn't work well In different areas I trapped and some did but they all worked to some degree.
If It trips your trigger making baits and lures and testing the out come good for you.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6567168
07/03/19 09:43 AM
07/03/19 09:43 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
foot movement will automatically come with attraction.Be it fox, coyote, coon or dog. The old saying animals are lazy, i find true at dirt holes. Most of my evidence proves they will work a dirt hole and dig at the lowest spot75% of the time. I feel this is why trench sets are so effective.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6567218
07/03/19 11:44 AM
07/03/19 11:44 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Went out this morning to check a few areas that I dumped some stink bait in a hole..
Coyotes did work it a little..As far as I can tell he came down the edge of the grass into the bait after crossing the pipeline 2 track..

I have 4 other test areas in place using actual bait and lures made by the guys that know the business..
Curious to see the hits on them..been out for a couple weeks I should go check em..one area has a small bear coming thru maybe he'll like it.hmmm

image.jpgimage.jpg

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6567350
07/03/19 05:18 PM
07/03/19 05:18 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Nicely done Sir!

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6576602
07/18/19 10:11 PM
07/18/19 10:11 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Bacon grease and castor.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6580383
07/24/19 05:00 PM
07/24/19 05:00 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
With correct trap placement they do not get a chance to dig........I always smile when someone states they took a dump on my set......well you had what they liked but need to look at your trap placement....your set being urinated and crapped on is not an insult but a compliment in the canine world....lol....I have found that sunrendered spoonbill oil will cause digging, rolling and urination responses in canines and rubbing response in felines....can you guess why it is in Appleroad

Last edited by Cletis Richards; 07/24/19 05:04 PM.

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6580878
07/25/19 02:37 PM
07/25/19 02:37 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
x2 on the spoony oil!

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581032
07/25/19 07:16 PM
07/25/19 07:16 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
[Linked Image]
Here's a bait I'm working on that has spoonbill oil in it. Put in test set Sunday and checked it today. Ground is really hard but coyote made a good effort to dig it up, left a kick back, and his calling card right above hole. Any guesses why the droppings are that color?

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581035
07/25/19 07:23 PM
07/25/19 07:23 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
[Linked Image]
New phone had to rotate it

Re: Digging Response [Re: Cletis Richards] #6581201
07/25/19 11:17 PM
07/25/19 11:17 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Cletis Richards
With correct trap placement they do not get a chance to dig........I always smile when someone states they took a dump on my set......well you had what they liked but need to look at your trap placement....your set being urinated and crapped on is not an insult but a compliment in the canine world....lol....I have found that sunrendered spoonbill oil will cause digging, rolling and urination responses in canines and rubbing response in felines....can you guess why it is in Appleroad

Thanks for the tip Cletis. Between bacon,castor,this and a couple other things how could any self respecting coyote resist? Lol

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581318
07/26/19 07:58 AM
07/26/19 07:58 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Many times the white matter in fecal deposits are pieces of bone that did not digest. If their diet is high in rodents like the many pack rats that you have in Kansas it may likely be remnants of them.. Check the droppings out by breaking them apart and you may find some recognizable bones from the feet or small leg bones, vertebrae etc.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581342
07/26/19 08:41 AM
07/26/19 08:41 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Morning Bob

Field corn in the milk stage is why its white.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581421
07/26/19 11:58 AM
07/26/19 11:58 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by ambush32
Went out this morning to check a few areas that I dumped some stink bait in a hole..
Coyotes did work it a little..As far as I can tell he came down the edge of the grass into the bait after crossing the pipeline 2 track..

I have 4 other test areas in place using actual bait and lures made by the guys that know the business..
Curious to see the hits on them..been out for a couple weeks I should go check em..one area has a small bear coming thru maybe he'll like it.hmmm

Now your cookin, wink

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6581508
07/26/19 04:25 PM
07/26/19 04:25 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Lots of coyotes and coon eating corn locally here also.

Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6582037
07/27/19 08:38 AM
07/27/19 08:38 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Add fox to the above list also

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Digging Response [Re: ambush32] #6582208
07/27/19 02:06 PM
07/27/19 02:06 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
id say majority of the furbearers eat corn.

Re: Digging Response [Re: Cletis Richards] #6590025
08/07/19 03:31 PM
08/07/19 03:31 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted by Cletis Richards

Good stuff...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91