No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New York fishing tips please! #6565981
07/01/19 01:04 PM
07/01/19 01:04 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline OP
trapper
Bob  Offline OP
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
My family and I are going to be in Shandaken New York for the next two weeks and I want to get my kids in on some new kinds of fish, porgy, fluke, eel, herring, maybe even a striper if we’re lucky. I just need some direction on where to go and a few tips. I’m not asking to get your secret best spots, just a good public spot where a shorebound guy stands a good chance of getting some bites with his kids.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6565998
07/01/19 01:40 PM
07/01/19 01:40 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Your in the center of some great fresh water fishing and beaver trapping too. Why look for salt water fish. The new York reservoirs are close than salt water fish. I visit just below you several times a year, bass gills perch stocked trout.........jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566009
07/01/19 01:55 PM
07/01/19 01:55 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
I know there's a lot of fishing charters in Brooklyn. We along with a few families from the Ronald McDonald House went fishing from one of the charters in Brooklyn. The trip was donated by one of the charters, I'll see if I can find out which one. That was our first time deep sea fishing. Caught a Fluke and my oldest son caught one too. He was about 10 months old and it was his second cast

Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: jk] #6566026
07/01/19 02:14 PM
07/01/19 02:14 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline OP
trapper
Bob  Offline OP
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by jk
Your in the center of some great fresh water fishing and beaver trapping too. Why look for salt water fish. The new York reservoirs are close than salt water fish. I visit just below you several times a year, bass gills perch stocked trout.........jk

Oh I fully intend to investigate the freshwater as well, but living on the Eastern border of Montana we don’t get the chance to fish saltwater much, and I try to catch a new fish species every time we go somewhere. Seeing as we’ve all caught lots of rainbows, Browns, Brookies, bass, gills and perch we are excited to get in on some saltwater and pull out a fish we’ve never seen before in person. We are planning to charter a boat but I’m lookin for some shore fishing spots too, explore some beaches and put some blue crab in a boiling pot as well

Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566031
07/01/19 02:23 PM
07/01/19 02:23 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline OP
trapper
Bob  Offline OP
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I should add this is vacation. The only thing I HAVE to do is attend my cousins wedding next weekend so the whole two weeks is open for fishing and goofing off

Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566061
07/01/19 03:16 PM
07/01/19 03:16 PM
Alpine NY
Rick Otts Offline
trapper
Rick Otts  Offline
trapper

Alpine NY
The St Lwarance sea way ruined a lot of our lakes and rivers here by those ships dumping their balast water.We use to have great fishing now with the Zebra mussels things have changed.

Rick Otts
Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566073
07/01/19 03:45 PM
07/01/19 03:45 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
Looking at Shandaken New York
You’re quite a way from salt water, if you’re interested in some ocean fishing NJ is a great option.
I can recommend a charter boat (6 person) out of Belmar NJ
If you do decide to fish NJ or NY be sure and get your saltwater registration (it’s free) you can pm me for my cell if interested...

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566100
07/01/19 04:29 PM
07/01/19 04:29 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
You don't need to hire a charter boat. On Long Island, Staten Island, and New Jersey there are numerous "party" boats that take you off shore for deep sea fishing. Most fish the bottom, unless the bluefish have arrived. Most will rent you a rod and reel. You just pay a fee and walk on. Don't know distance from Shandaken, but it is a long way. The boats go out early AM. You might consider driving down night before , get a motel, get a wake up call. Most of this stuff can be googled for more info. Take seasick pills, or the behind the ear patch, sunscreen, ans ice cooler for your fish.Not sure if salt water license is needed, check on google.Some boats run two trips a day, and even night runs when the bluefish arrive. Just google Party Boats, Staten Island,for example
Don't overlook those Catskill trout streams.

Good luck

Re: New York fishing tips please! [Re: Bob] #6566105
07/01/19 04:38 PM
07/01/19 04:38 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
P.S.
Watch your weather. If the wind is onshore (coming from the ocean), the sea will be rough.
if the wind is (offshore) from the west the sea will be calm.There always will be gentle swells.
This ius a trip that you can take your kids and wife.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread