No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6566685
07/02/19 04:32 PM
07/02/19 04:32 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Some of us like to drive like Luke and Bo.
Get over it.
Do the pit maneuver to get the old fuddy duddies out of the way.

Last edited by Boco; 07/02/19 04:34 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6566694
07/02/19 04:42 PM
07/02/19 04:42 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Brighten up. the good news is the smaller the vehicle the more apt they are to tailgate so chances are fair that if they rear end you you might not even notice. The real kooks are those in hybrid cars, the only times I ever see one is either when they are tailgating or more often cutting some one off. All Mr Bean looking cars are driven by people just like him.

Re: following distance [Re: Boco] #6566701
07/02/19 04:57 PM
07/02/19 04:57 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Boco
Some of us like to drive like Luke and Bo.
Get over it.
Do the pit maneuver to get the old fuddy duddies out of the way.

I think if you watch some re-runs ,you can see while Bo and Luke did drive fast they tried not to put others in danger unless it was Boss Hog or Rosco.

it is even in their song "never meaning no harm"

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6566823
07/02/19 08:14 PM
07/02/19 08:14 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

The hazards are not knowing which lane is the travel lane and which lane is the passing lane.

We teach 5 seconds start and then add seconds for each condition that changes.

-Goofy-
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6566969
07/02/19 11:00 PM
07/02/19 11:00 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Mac . . . my cure for tailgaters: let off the gas and gradually decelerate down to about half the posted speed limit. Eventually they figure it out and back off or pass. Takes some longer than others for the light bulb to go on.

Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6567006
07/02/19 11:42 PM
07/02/19 11:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Those are the guys that get pushed.Their eyes get like soupplates in the rearview mirror when you hit about 90 on the ice packed road,lol.

Last edited by Boco; 07/02/19 11:44 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6567032
07/03/19 05:15 AM
07/03/19 05:15 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Most people don't think while driving. If you pass them they speed up while your passing. I don't believe they decide to speed up but humans are a herd species and instinct tells them too.

In a bad snowstorm people bunch up. Everybody knows its dangerous but people feel safer in groups so they go down the road in little groups. Staying out of groups is a little challenging as the herd mentality see's the independent loner as a "leader" and will try to bunch up around her or him.

Using turn signals is simply to strenuous for most drivers so they don't bother.

If you have 40 tons under your rear in heavy traffic and are keeping a safe following distance, herd mentality kicks in. People will keep moving into the gap. People can not stand to see an empty space when its dangerous not to have one.

You can learn a lot about someone by the way they drive, what they drive, and how they care for what they drive.

When a cop has somebody pulled over, or if there is an ambulance, people slow down to look. Causes more accidents. Don't matter everybody slows down to a crawl then mashs on the throttle as soon as they are past. Not uncommon at all for this behavior to cause anther accident.

At a stop light everybody waits for the car in front of them to move. This behavior cuts the number of vehicles that can get through the intersection by at least half. If everybody in line just gently eased into the throttle when the light turns green things would go a lot smoother.

At a 4 way stop if the person on the opposite side of the intersection is going you can too. don't have to wait. unless of course they have a hard to use left turn signal so it isn't switched on.

One of my favorite bonehead moves is the interstate on ramp goofball. Guy nears the end of the ramp in front you. to much traffic to safely move left and let them out. Rather than speed up and ease in to traffic they hit the brakes. Or if you can move left they just stay beside you. Neither speeding up or slowing down to let you back over

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: following distance [Re: danny clifton] #6567050
07/03/19 06:32 AM
07/03/19 06:32 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Most people don't think while driving. If you pass them they speed up while your passing. I don't believe they decide to speed up but humans are a herd species and instinct tells them too.

In a bad snowstorm people bunch up. Everybody knows its dangerous but people feel safer in groups so they go down the road in little groups. Staying out of groups is a little challenging as the herd mentality see's the independent loner as a "leader" and will try to bunch up around her or him.

Using turn signals is simply to strenuous for most drivers so they don't bother.

If you have 40 tons under your rear in heavy traffic and are keeping a safe following distance, herd mentality kicks in. People will keep moving into the gap. People can not stand to see an empty space when its dangerous not to have one.

You can learn a lot about someone by the way they drive, what they drive, and how they care for what they drive.

When a cop has somebody pulled over, or if there is an ambulance, people slow down to look. Causes more accidents. Don't matter everybody slows down to a crawl then mashs on the throttle as soon as they are past. Not uncommon at all for this behavior to cause anther accident.

At a stop light everybody waits for the car in front of them to move. This behavior cuts the number of vehicles that can get through the intersection by at least half. If everybody in line just gently eased into the throttle when the light turns green things would go a lot smoother.

At a 4 way stop if the person on the opposite side of the intersection is going you can too. don't have to wait. unless of course they have a hard to use left turn signal so it isn't switched on.

One of my favorite bonehead moves is the interstate on ramp goofball. Guy nears the end of the ramp in front you. to much traffic to safely move left and let them out. Rather than speed up and ease in to traffic they hit the brakes. Or if you can move left they just stay beside you. Neither speeding up or slowing down to let you back over

Spot on.

In Delaware they like for the green light to get greener before they go. lol

Never fails either if 2 trucks are in line and the light turns red the smallest car traveling in the passing lane will dart in between the 2 trucks just to see if the second truck left the correct amount of space for a safe stop. lol

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 07/03/19 06:32 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6567068
07/03/19 07:26 AM
07/03/19 07:26 AM
Pennsylvania
C
coalbank Offline
trapper
coalbank  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Let them get real close and work up a good hocker. If you spit in an upward manner out the widow it will hit thier windshield. Have only found 1 that wouldn't back off from it. Turning on a left turn signal and braking will help as well.

If that doesn't work hit the custom oil dump switch and watch em squirm. lol

Re: following distance [Re: Muskrat] #6567130
07/03/19 08:59 AM
07/03/19 08:59 AM
West coast Wisconsin
50fps Offline
trapper
50fps  Offline
trapper

West coast Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Mac . . . my cure for tailgaters: let off the gas and gradually decelerate down to about half the posted speed limit. Eventually they figure it out and back off or pass. Takes some longer than others for the light bulb to go on.

This^ Or throw on the 4 ways even tho I'm already doing 7 over.

Re: following distance [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6567607
07/03/19 11:09 PM
07/03/19 11:09 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Coalbank ifen you was chewing redman,even that one would back off. Or just empty the spit can out the winder.

Re: following distance [Re: tjm] #6567711
07/04/19 07:50 AM
07/04/19 07:50 AM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Boy, everything said here is sure enough the truth and unfortunately the way things are. I will take a different angle on drivers, as I spend a considerable amount of time working in or along a roadway.
Do ya think you could slow down a bit and move over when you see a guy in a neon vest trying to get a shot on a section corner in the middle of the road? Some folks do, I've had others blow the horn and flip me off.
Most people I guess have never had to work in the road and experience what 55-75 mph traffic is like whizzing by. I had a co-worker killed some years ago by an inattentive driver who ran into him from the back.
Seems like traffic cones and survey crew signs are just a target.

Zim

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread