No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Florida Trapping #6566508
07/02/19 10:41 AM
07/02/19 10:41 AM
Florida
H
Hanger Offline OP
trapper
Hanger  Offline OP
trapper
H

Florida
Hello new to trapping in Florida I live near the Tampa area and didn’t know if there was any other trappers in this area where I could shadow and learn from. I also would like to know if there are any tips or tricks when it comes to fur handling here with the heat and humidity. And as far as hanging fur is wire or wood preferred and if wood what it the correct size for this region. Thanks

Re: Florida Trapping [Re: Hanger] #6566541
07/02/19 11:40 AM
07/02/19 11:40 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Have you been in contact with the Florida Trappers Association- https://floridatrapper.org/

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Florida Trapping [Re: Hanger] #6566596
07/02/19 01:14 PM
07/02/19 01:14 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Bobcats and otters are your best critters to concentrate on. You have a legal coon meat market so there is money to be made with coons...just not much pelt value. Florida fox enjoy total legal protection...cant kill em. People will pay for coyote removal but there is no pelt value to your coyotes. Permits issued by FWC allow you to use footholds now....instead of just snares and cages.

To put up fur you will need to do it during Dec, Jan, Feb, early March to beat the heat.. or have an air conditioned fur shed.

You can ship dried fur to auction houses or drive to Valdosta, Ga...about 5 hours for you...and sell to Groenwold Fur Company when they make their Ga route in late March.

Btw...I live 6 miles from Florida line in Ga....my conditions are not very different from Tampa area.

Oh...southern fur looks better on wood...much fuller appearance.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 07/02/19 01:15 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Florida Trapping [Re: Hanger] #6566664
07/02/19 03:41 PM
07/02/19 03:41 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Welcome to trapperman. Hanger.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Florida Trapping [Re: Hanger] #6567154
07/03/19 09:24 AM
07/03/19 09:24 AM
Florida
H
Hanger Offline OP
trapper
Hanger  Offline OP
trapper
H

Florida
Thanks everyone I joined the Florida Trappers Association just hard to get in touch with those guys but looking forward to there fur collage in February I believe that’s when it is. Thanks swamp wolf that’s pretty much everything I’ve been trying to find out. What board size should I use couldn’t find anything on NAFA about board sizes for this region or just use Fur Harvester Board size. And where in the world would I sell Coon meat at seams like a great way to make the news. I know the older blacks would eat them along with possum but now days I you would get 3 to 5 years for a hate crime and being racist and or shot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread