No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Florida Coon #6567201
07/03/19 11:11 AM
07/03/19 11:11 AM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline OP
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
My friend has a small place in south Fl. that he deer hunts and runs some cattle on. Fortunately for me, he has no desire to chase the many Osceola long beards that live on the place as well. We had a great time there this spring season and hope to return next spring as well. While there, we saw several coons nearly every morning and evening. They seem to come out pretty early in the day down there for some reason. I'm not that familiar with the trapping regulations in that state but would like to thin the #'s down to help out the turkey hatches the next time I go down. What would be the most efficient way to attempt to knock a dent in the population over the span of a week while I'm there? I know I may not be able to make much of a difference with just a week but I figured it may help a little. It looks like dp and leg holds aren't legal so I would be limited to cages mostly????

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Florida Coon [Re: WV Danimal] #6567236
07/03/19 12:18 PM
07/03/19 12:18 PM
Florida
H
Hanger Offline
trapper
Hanger  Offline
trapper
H

Florida
Yes sir. Snare and live traps are the only thing that would be easy for you and a trappers license is 26.50 doesn’t matter if you’re a resident or not

Re: Florida Coon [Re: WV Danimal] #6567456
07/03/19 08:18 PM
07/03/19 08:18 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Having lived there for 40 years. I had access to a 9,000 ranch and was tasked to catch and shoot all hogs and coons on site. Pre-bait if not setting near feeders Your best bet is cage traps and lots of them. I would check them twice during the day and twice at night. They will come and more then one at a time. Use marshmellows. Don't want possums and skunks clogging up traps. Find yourself a market for the meat and if so, leave a foot on them for identification.
Just maybe, your friend (landowner) can apply for a limited foothold permit. Miracles do happen. Trapping can be fun in florida, but its not trapper friendly, so keep on the down low. Any questions? pm. glad to help. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 07/03/19 08:19 PM.

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Florida Coon [Re: WV Danimal] #6567648
07/04/19 12:47 AM
07/04/19 12:47 AM
Central Florida/ Formerly Ohio
H
Hoppytrapsfur Offline
trapper
Hoppytrapsfur  Offline
trapper