No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bow hunters..... #6569463
07/07/19 03:25 PM
07/07/19 03:25 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline OP
trapper
Ave  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio, USA
Hey guys, I’ve got permission to hunt a block of woods right outside of city limits. The bucks I will be hunting are mature(4,5,6, etc), and I was wondering if a corn pile would be effective in this situation. Normally I have very little to no success luring mature deer into corn piles within shooting hours, but I’m wondering if these deer will pattern differently? Thoughts? Thanks

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569472
07/07/19 03:43 PM
07/07/19 03:43 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
I have a 15 acre tract on the edge of town. I start putting corn out in September. The deer don't start hitting it hard till November. It doesn't seem to attract the big bucks so much for the food value but that is the area the does frequent. I'm a believer that it helps draw in mature deer.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569502
07/07/19 04:36 PM
07/07/19 04:36 PM
Va
O
Owen156 Offline
trapper
Owen156  Offline
trapper
O

Va
I would hunt the trails coming to the corn, not over the cornpile. Hunting over a cornpile will make mature deer nocturnal. Find the acorns, the deer will leave the corn anyway once the acorns srart dropping.

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569741
07/07/19 10:26 PM
07/07/19 10:26 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
For Big Bucks, find their bedding area and where they are feeding.
Set up on those trails and sling one through them.
Corn piles attract does. Big Bucks didn’t get Big by feeding on corn piles during daylight hours.

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569751
07/07/19 10:44 PM
07/07/19 10:44 PM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
Ave, I have a 9 acre piece of property next to a town where theres no hunting allowed, and I have taken several older age class bucks off of it. These deer are not pressured like most I hunt. I start feeding last of Sept and have tons of does and small bucks coming for the first month, but come Halloween you better be there cause the big boys frequent the bait site checking for does. I've taken 2 bucks that were aged 6+, and one of those I hunted for 4 year and pretty sure he was 8yr old. Keep the does there and the bucks will come, and late season snow and cold can be awesome. Good luck

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569819
07/08/19 06:35 AM
07/08/19 06:35 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
You should have planted a patch of sweet corn 90+ days ago. That would bring those overgrown rats right to you.

-Goofy-
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569920
07/08/19 09:45 AM
07/08/19 09:45 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Consider yourself lucky..Can be some of the best bowhunting around if the land is laid out to funnel deer through or a big doe bedding area..

Years ago I started pursuing city hunting areas after chasing a 160+ living behind the local humane society
golf course and a Walmart all rolled in one..I-was able to get on 5 acres just down from the HS along the river, from my tree I could see the HS parking lot..One thing I’ve noticed the deer tend to wonder a lot
as they don’t have to much pressure on them and tend to bed where they please on a given day..
One feature that made this piece smoking hot during the rut was a low water level in the river that created a huge funnel for bucks to come and go seeking out does..never did get an arrow in the 160 but had come close..Shot a couple decent bucks right as they came out of the river crossing..was exciting place to hunt..

This started my obsession with city bowhunting..I would find city owned parks, property or township go in during the spring and scout them if they had any signs of mature deer I would start knocking on doors of land owners near by..My obsession brought me to Grand Rapids, Lansing, Battle Creek, and small towns around them areas and mostly never did get on the property I was after but it was fun..

You ask about corn idk but I can tell you there is a piece just outside the city of GR in a park where there is two lone crabapple trees along a creek that has to be the best piece I’ve ever scouted and unbelievable rut sign every year in and around those crabapple trees..buck rubs that are something else on big trees..
Never could get on any property around it but it’s fun to go in and check it out..you know it’s good when the local police keep an eye on it...Maybe you could find an apple tree, crab, or lone nut tree on your piece I’m sure the deer would use them areas..2 out of the 5 years I’ve checked the crab trees there wasn’t any apples but it still was used as a destination area just from the sign left behind during the rut told it all..

Have fun

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569944
07/08/19 10:15 AM
07/08/19 10:15 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Many cities consider deer hunting more of a vermin control thing.

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: ambush32] #6569949
07/08/19 10:31 AM
07/08/19 10:31 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by ambush32
Consider yourself lucky..Can be some of the best bowhunting around if the land is laid out to funnel deer through or a big doe bedding area..

Years ago I started pursuing city hunting areas after chasing a 160+ living behind the local humane society
golf course and a Walmart all rolled in one..I-was able to get on 5 acres just down from the HS along the river, from my tree I could see the HS parking lot..One thing I’ve noticed the deer tend to wonder a lot
as they don’t have to much pressure on them and tend to bed where they please on a given day..
One feature that made this piece smoking hot during the rut was a low water level in the river that created a huge funnel for bucks to come and go seeking out does..never did get an arrow in the 160 but had come close..Shot a couple decent bucks right as they came out of the river crossing..was exciting place to hunt..

This started my obsession with city bowhunting..I would find city owned parks, property or township go in during the spring and scout them if they had any signs of mature deer I would start knocking on doors of land owners near by..My obsession brought me to Grand Rapids, Lansing, Battle Creek, and small towns around them areas and mostly never did get on the property I was after but it was fun..

You ask about corn idk but I can tell you there is a piece just outside the city of GR in a park where there is two lone crabapple trees along a creek that has to be the best piece I’ve ever scouted and unbelievable rut sign every year in and around those crabapple trees..buck rubs that are something else on big trees..
Never could get on any property around it but it’s fun to go in and check it out..you know it’s good when the local police keep an eye on it...Maybe you could find an apple tree, crab, or lone nut tree on your piece I’m sure the deer would use them areas..2 out of the 5 years I’ve checked the crab trees there wasn’t any apples but it still was used as a destination area just from the sign left behind during the rut told it all..

Have fun

Interesting story.
I hunt funnels like you said, and has worked well for me. You want to find where they go and their travel routes, and funnels make that easy.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: snowy] #6569954
07/08/19 10:50 AM
07/08/19 10:50 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by snowy
I hunt funnels like you said, and has worked well for me. You want to find where they go and their travel routes, and funnels make that easy.

I had a funnel in southern Maine that I had a treestand hanging in for the better part of twenty years. That stand spent the better part of its life in just two trees. I never had to move it once I had the area dialed in. Deer use funnels. I did a lot of calling as well.

A guy not too far from me had this deer coming into his yard for corn and sweet feed at the close of our November rifle season two years ago. [Linked Image]

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6569970
07/08/19 11:17 AM
07/08/19 11:17 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
After the golf course went out of business and Became farmland that changed everything lots of hunting on the farm..Deer avoided the river funnel..First time I laid eyes on the 160 it was in the cemetery..that started it all..I’d dare say there’s a good one still running this area..City hunting is fun, most talk about it but never go after the land to be able to hunt..will say I’ve had more doors closed on me for asking city slickers to hunt their property..

4EBB8DB6-B781-4B6E-8478-4F2645897F6F.jpeg

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Posco] #6569986
07/08/19 11:45 AM
07/08/19 11:45 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Ummm what a buck..
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by snowy

I had a funnel in southern Maine that I had a treestand hanging in for the better part of twenty years. That stand spent the better part of its life in just two trees. I never had to move it once I had the area dialed in. Deer use funnels. I did a lot of calling as well.

A guy not too far from me had this deer coming into his yard for corn and sweet feed at the close of our November rifle season two years ago. [Linked Image]

Ummm what a buck..

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6570009
07/08/19 12:18 PM
07/08/19 12:18 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Depending upon which way the wind is blowing, the two points just below the G and C in you map would be places to start.

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6631738
10/03/19 09:03 AM
10/03/19 09:03 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I wish could help or have some input to where to set up but I'm not good at that. For me I need to study their habits before doing anything. That looks like a great hunting property and keep us updated on your placement.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6631748
10/03/19 09:11 AM
10/03/19 09:11 AM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Put a couple trail cams up. dump some corn out now and put a cam over that. Figure out where he is and when he is coming. Go sit until he messes up and shows himself. Its as simple as that. Big mature bucks i would start looking in thick stuff and bottoms. If you can get over 2 intersecting trails i would climb the nearest tree and try to get a 20-30yd shot.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6631753
10/03/19 09:18 AM
10/03/19 09:18 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
On small patches close to populated areas I like to just hunt the edges. The disruption from baiting and scouting these areas can cause more harm than good I think. I believe Deer are driven or chased into these areas and stay until they are driven or spooked out.

I would study from above like ambush32's pic and not "walk" the property looking for sign etc. this time of year.

IMO its better to be patient and hunt a less used trail on the edge rather than risk spooking Deer out by hunting hot trail in middle. I also only hunt these small patches on favorable wind, "when in doubt, I dont go out".

Good luck out there!

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6631768
10/03/19 09:37 AM
10/03/19 09:37 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
That piece in the aerial above I never scouted on foot I used a canoe and floated the river a few times looking for active river crossing and picked a tree out while doing so...had fear if I was to step on that piece I'd bust the buck I'd seen which brought me to this piece, my first hunt I slipped in by crossing the river with waders really early in the morning and set my tree up, after my hunt I would simply get down and cross the river..Couple all day hunts if I had deer around me but this was the rut..it was a lot of work as I canoed for my scouting and floated all the way down to that Walmart store and a friend would pic me up..
One of my favorite times bowhunting was hunting like this..

Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: ambush32] #6631801
10/03/19 10:20 AM
10/03/19 10:20 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted by ambush32
That piece in the aerial above I never scouted on foot I used a canoe and floated the river a few times looking for active river crossing and picked a tree out while doing so...had fear if I was to step on that piece I'd bust the buck I'd seen which brought me to this piece, my first hunt I slipped in by crossing the river with waders really early in the morning and set my tree up, after my hunt I would simply get down and cross the river..Couple all day hunts if I had deer around me but this was the rut..it was a lot of work as I canoed for my scouting and floated all the way down to that Walmart store and a friend would pic me up..
One of my favorite times bowhunting was hunting like this..

Ambush, you are from the Hastings area? I’m in southern Barry county. Didn’t know you use to be that close

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Bow hunters..... [Re: Ave] #6631814
10/03/19 10:39 AM
10/03/19 10:39 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Use to live in that area many years ago...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread