No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571671
07/10/19 10:56 PM
07/10/19 10:56 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I've seen you refer to retiring in a few years, you need to make better wages now so your Social Security benefits are higher. Every day you wait it's hurting your retirement.

Pretty late in the game for coonman to raise what he's going to get in SS benefits when he retires. Sort of like raising your school GPA the last year or even semester.

A school system job is a good suggestion or working for a hospital. They might not be the most fun jobs but they're generally steady and don't play games with their people that much. Coonman, have you been asking for your annual reports from the Social Security Admin...? Do you know, with what you've currently made over the years, what you're going to be getting a month? If you haven't, you may need to check out my suggestion of catching bait fish during the warm months for a supplemental revenue stream....

P.S. Check out running auto parts around if your town is big enough to have a parts house that delivers to car repair places. Sounds way better than dealing with the temp agencies.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571672
07/10/19 10:59 PM
07/10/19 10:59 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I used a temp agency twice. Both times they placed me at terrific jobs which I was hired on and stayed for quite sometime.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571682
07/10/19 11:15 PM
07/10/19 11:15 PM
Iowa
D
DGorman Offline
trapper
DGorman  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa
I was thinking you already had your cdl. If so you should be able to find a dump truck to drive. It seems about everybody is looking for drivers. I believe my company starts around 16 or 17 bucks to drive a truck on a rock crushing crew..You'd probably get at least 15 hours of overtime every week as well. It would probably put a damper on your trapping as you wouldn't get laid off until Christmas and you'd likely have to drive to various sites which can make for long days. I guess you have to decide how tired you are of dealing with temp agencies and either do something else or don't.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571687
07/10/19 11:20 PM
07/10/19 11:20 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
You can raise your social security by making more than any one of the lowest years in the last highest 35 years. If you make more than your lowest year they drop your lowest year and add the new year. Its possible to raise your social security even after you start drawing. Problem is if you make too much you might have to pay some ss back. If a person has some real low years in the highest 35 years, say farmer has bad year, then make more than that low year and raise your index. I know a guy that raised his $8 a month.

Last edited by Foxpaw; 07/10/19 11:21 PM.
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: Savell] #6571693
07/10/19 11:29 PM
07/10/19 11:29 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Savell
Have you ever thought about becoming a novelist

Ease up on the coonman, Savell. If he gets better at typing on his android, and starts using grammar, it will take away all of my new hobby. Interpreting "The Coonman."
Believe it or not, I am beginning to understand what he is typing as though I have just learned a foreign language.
BTW, I am nor hacking on coonman. He is one of us. As far as I can tell. (OK, I just hacked on him. Sorry brother smile ).

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571768
07/11/19 07:43 AM
07/11/19 07:43 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by Boco
Join the labourers union,and get on the list.They put a stop to that Bullsh-- real quick.And you always get called when there is work.

I believe that is depending on where you are. Out this way I've seen guys sit on the bench for months when crews with openings that rather work short handed than bring on help. The foremen who run the crews in the majority of the trades are given lots of power to hire and fire. The union steward can get you there but ultimately they will find clever ways to get you to go back to the hall. Folks who complained about everything and had an excuse etc were the ones always riding pine.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: Savell] #6571788
07/11/19 08:10 AM
07/11/19 08:10 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Savell
Have you ever thought about becoming a novelist

I'm really glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: TDHP] #6571792
07/11/19 08:24 AM
07/11/19 08:24 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by TDHP
Originally Posted by Boco
Join the labourers union,and get on the list.They put a stop to that Bullsh-- real quick.And you always get called when there is work.

I believe that is depending on where you are. Out this way I've seen guys sit on the bench for months when crews with openings that rather work short handed than bring on help. The foremen who run the crews in the majority of the trades are given lots of power to hire and fire. The union steward can get you there but ultimately they will find clever ways to get you to go back to the hall. Folks who complained about everything and had an excuse etc were the ones always riding pine.

Sounds like a good balance. Just because you're in a union shouldn't give you a pass to slack off. I knowvthe vast majority of guys that belong to a union are very hard workers but there's always a few bad apples that abuse it and give them a bad reputation.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571802
07/11/19 08:40 AM
07/11/19 08:40 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
you should be in a union.not a knock on you,just an observation.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571813
07/11/19 08:58 AM
07/11/19 08:58 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Those Temp agencies make mistakes on the other end too. I have hired probably 2 dozen people from them. They say they check every one and then give three ''candidates'' for the jobs. Not true. They always want paid before the person working has finished the job so they can get that person their money- then they don't pay them for a week.

Our unions suck. They are full of a bunch of idiots who are on drugs and drink all day. I was the 4th generation in our Glaziers Union. We would call the hall for help and the last time they sent me a guy who had just gotten back to work after open heart surgery, a legally blind guy, a guy with now driver's license. The blind guy and the guy with no license rode together with the blind guy driving and the other guy telling him where to turn. All three of these guys showed up for a job. None of them could do the job but the union made me take them or '' hire three new apprentices'' I told them I didn't need them and we worked double shifts. unions are supposed to be the most highly trained pros in the trade. Not! One of our BA's got busted for trying to sell cocaine to another guy while they were in an elevator heading up to the union meeting. I sent in my withdrawal papers and have never been happier. Everyone here is on their own- there is no training for union members. It' all about paying off people and doing favors so you get called first. Our unions are where all the BS comes from. Ours is importing illegal aliens from mexico to man painting and glazing jobs. Obama, Rom Emanuel, Valerie Jarret all are in on it - head quartered in Chicago... been doing it for years to make money off the Mexicans. They even rent them apartments and sell them social Security cards and driver's licenses then they laugh about doing and threaten the membership when someone asks about it.

Just passin through
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571818
07/11/19 09:05 AM
07/11/19 09:05 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
You can raise your social security by making more than any one of the lowest years in the last highest 35 years. If you make more than your lowest year they drop your lowest year and add the new year. Its possible to raise your social security even after you start drawing. Problem is if you make too much you might have to pay some ss back. If a person has some real low years in the highest 35 years, say farmer has bad year, then make more than that low year and raise your index. I know a guy that raised his $8 a month.

I stand corrected but hopefully by following what you said, the average person raised it more than $8 a month. I guess that is 2 1/2 of my breakfast burritos at Taco John's when I buy them on Wednesdays...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: NonPCfed] #6571838
07/11/19 09:47 AM
07/11/19 09:47 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
You can go to the SS site and use the formulas to see how much you can raise your SS stipend by raising income in your later earning years. It may not be worth the cost in extra taxes if you are self employed.
I did the formula for many of the small dairy farmers I worked with who had low incomes most of their lives and when they started getting their earning and estimated SS payments they wanted to know how they could raise that.

They could do that by adjusting income and expenses and or depreciation etc. I showed them several examples of raising net income by say 20 K per year or 10 K per year and do that for 10 years and how much that would raise their monthly when they retired. In their case being self employed the increased federal, state and SS taxes were far more than what they would net in 20 years of retirement. The calculation would be different by 7.5 % for those working for a wage, but still not a real productive way to increase monthly income.

The best way for these small businesses to get more SS was to employ their spouse and pay a small but decent wage and that way there were two incomes both that were getting the benefit of the higher percentage that created the stipend with the lower bend points.
Another thing that SS goes way back to adjust early earning income for inflation etc. so early income helps more than many feel it does even if it were not so high. This is especially true over the last 20-30 years were working wage stagnation has taken place.

Bryce

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571873
07/11/19 10:58 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Coonman, doesn't look like life has been fair to you. The world is out there, go get it. You are in the drivers seat about the choices you make in life.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571875
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Same story different year for you coonman….If you put as much effort into finding a job as you do complaining about your factory jobs on here you'd likely not be in your situation. How's your truck running? There's jobs everywhere right now where I am. They can't find anyone to work and I emphasize work. If you've got to pay the bills sometimes you just suck it up and do it. When I put up tents every summer for the five years I was in college to pay my rent for the year in two months we'd often have temp agency help. Couldn't get them to work hard enough to justify their pay and half the time they never showed up after the first check.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571884
07/11/19 11:12 AM
07/11/19 11:12 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Never used a temp agency, but Unions are nothing more than a BIG money making Corporation. Finally realized that about 10 years ago and got out of ours that has done nothing positive ever since I’ve been with the company. Too many “good ole boys” that look out for themselves. They are just like a company, throw the members a few crumbs every now and then. The union President is in my workgroup and uses that “union time” every Holiday he didn’t get to pick for vacation. Sorta hard to believe the union has that much going on during the holidays, lol. Best money I ever saved was Union Dues. Oh yeah, this is contract year and everyone is talking strike!! They can go ahead and walk for that $100 a week they get from their union if they want too. And that’s something else, when I was in we couldn’t find a soul that ever voted YES to the contract, but yet it always passed. And they would never give up what districts voted for it. The bigwigs keep getting richer from the members...

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: WadeRyan] #6571888
07/11/19 11:26 AM
07/11/19 11:26 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Same story different year for you coonman….If you put as much effort into finding a job as you do complaining about your factory jobs on here you'd likely not be in your situation. How's your truck running? There's jobs everywhere right now where I am. They can't find anyone to work and I emphasize work. If you've got to pay the bills sometimes you just suck it up and do it. When I put up tents every summer for the five years I was in college to pay my rent for the year in two months we'd often have temp agency help. Couldn't get them to work hard enough to justify their pay and half the time they never showed up after the first check.

To add to this, there are online courses to better one's education in presenting themselves in such a way as to gain from resumes and in person for employer's attention. All a big help in attaining employment that pays better , with better benefits, etc.

The nice thing about online education courses , they can be accessed on off work time at one's convenience.

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: Larry Baer] #6571892
07/11/19 11:48 AM
07/11/19 11:48 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Those Temp agencies make mistakes on the other end too. I have hired probably 2 dozen people from them. They say they check every one and then give three ''candidates'' for the jobs. Not true. They always want paid before the person working has finished the job so they can get that person their money- then they don't pay them for a week.

Our unions suck. They are full of a bunch of idiots who are on drugs and drink all day. I was the 4th generation in our Glaziers Union. We would call the hall for help and the last time they sent me a guy who had just gotten back to work after open heart surgery, a legally blind guy, a guy with now driver's license. The blind guy and the guy with no license rode together with the blind guy driving and the other guy telling him where to turn. All three of these guys showed up for a job. None of them could do the job but the union made me take them or '' hire three new apprentices'' I told them I didn't need them and we worked double shifts. unions are supposed to be the most highly trained pros in the trade. Not! One of our BA's got busted for trying to sell cocaine to another guy while they were in an elevator heading up to the union meeting. I sent in my withdrawal papers and have never been happier. Everyone here is on their own- there is no training for union members. It' all about paying off people and doing favors so you get called first. Our unions are where all the BS comes from. Ours is importing illegal aliens from mexico to man painting and glazing jobs. Obama, Rom Emanuel, Valerie Jarret all are in on it - head quartered in Chicago... been doing it for years to make money off the Mexicans. They even rent them apartments and sell them social Security cards and driver's licenses then they laugh about doing and threaten the membership when someone asks about it.

Illinois/Chicago unions are some of the most corrupt in the country with no shortage of ties to questionable things. I dealt with a business agent out of Chicago that represented staff in a number of facilities we operated in the general appalachian mountain region whose primary job was to actually make sure his union members grew a large enough "crop" each year so that their private planes could land on the local air strip and make hauls back into Chicago. At one point we were involved with them when they attempted a union organizing effort and another time during a strike. More than interesting to see the background reports on the business agents that the security folks could dig up. It isnt just a rumor that some unions particularly in some locales are directly tied to organized crime.

Coonman---I think you should take some of the other advice offered and make an effort to find some different employment options. Over the years, I have been involved with using probably 10k plus temp workers in different manufacturing facilities all around the country. As stated by others, it's common practice to hire a percentage of the temps into full positions in certain situations. How many are hired could vary alot based on a bunch of factors BUT if you haven't been hired after years of working thru one or more temp agencies for a few companies my gut says the odds are that it isn't going to ever happen for you. Temp agencies can provide a decent service to link up supply of workers with demand by business but I sure wouldnt say its a good long term proposition. The world of manufacturing has drastically changed and is the reason i no longer work in that field. Not going to do you any good to look back at what you had or remember from the old days as that world isn't coming back. That $17/hr job you had as semi skilled manufacturing labor can be accomplished for $5/hr someplace else. If you have that CDL, there are about a million jobs waiting for someone to take them

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571898
07/11/19 12:07 PM
07/11/19 12:07 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Do you live in a city Coonman?

Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: DelawareRob] #6571902
07/11/19 12:21 PM
07/11/19 12:21 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by niteprowler
That is so true cci. I have come to learn that a right to work state really means a right to fire for any reason.They sure did name that one wrong big time !

The term right to work is correctly named.

The “right to work” idea is a principle that affirms that every American has the right to work without being forced to join a labor union.

This is the intent of right to work laws. Weakening labor unions.

Coonman, this is about the best economy we have been in. There are a million jobs out there unfilled, you have to make an effort to go out there and find one that will fit you. Stop making excuses, the previous job you had wasn't all that great, you should have been able to fill that void by now.

Last edited by Steven 49er; 07/11/19 12:24 PM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Temp agencies for jobs. [Re: coonman220] #6571913
07/11/19 12:46 PM
07/11/19 12:46 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
From my limited understanding the rip roaring economy is mostly in the cities. So if you are a country bumpkin, you may not benefit much from the economic recovery. I hope coonman can get a good job soon.

wanna be goat farmer.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread