No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Real Estate Inspector? #6572095
07/11/19 08:00 PM
07/11/19 08:00 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I know of at least one on here that recently started. Wondering, how is it working out? What would you do different? Best place to get certified? After speaking to several realtors, I am going to do it, just trying to avoid extra expenses. There is no certification requirement here, with the exception of radon testing, but I will be getting certified for home inspection, anyway.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572123
07/11/19 08:38 PM
07/11/19 08:38 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
If you get into appraisals, there's big bucks in that. Especially ranches.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572124
07/11/19 08:42 PM
07/11/19 08:42 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Well Brian, you will be right popular and receive many more Christmas cards for sure.
Good Luck.

Zim

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572247
07/11/19 11:28 PM
07/11/19 11:28 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Well, I have been a home builder an an insurance agent, so I believe I am more than qualified. Considering starting a franchise operation. If there are any construction/sales folks out there that would like to set their own hours and gross 70K, I might be looking for you in the near future.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572316
07/12/19 06:53 AM
07/12/19 06:53 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
70k? Are you offering insurance and retirement benefits? If not good luck finding good qualified help in this economy.

Coonman is looking for work!

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: Steven 49er] #6572331
07/12/19 07:33 AM
07/12/19 07:33 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
70k? Are you offering insurance and retirement benefits? If not good luck finding good qualified help in this economy.

Coonman is looking for work!

nice guy

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572342
07/12/19 07:44 AM
07/12/19 07:44 AM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
Trapperkeck I started my own home inspection business about a year and half ago. I have several licenses electrical,gas and hvacr with 27 years experience and 15 years experience management of a lumber/hardware store doors, windows, roofing,TJI,Microsoft’s lambs etc. I would take a online course from either ASHI or NASHI. I went through ASHI and purchased their InspectIt software and so far haven’t had any problems with it. I also took my radon course with them. I went to every realtor within 50 miles and Introduced myself left cards and pricing. Also made a sample report using my own house and another using my friends house. I broke into the business with a local realtor that I knew and she already was aware of my qualifications and was happy to work with me. It’s hard to make the connections with realtors sometimes because new inspectors can raise undue alarm over small issues. I suggest you find a mentor and due a ride along inspection usually with someone not in your area. You will need a lot of business cards ,IPad,Inspection report software,printer,error and emissions insurance,water tests for FHA loans and basic choloform/E Coli,moisture meter, carbon monoxide meter, radon gas continuous monitor. I also passed the national home inspection exam. You can PM me if you want. I won’t be around until Monday. Be prepared for it taking a while possibly to get in with a realtor but keep going around and visiting them and ask to do some short presentation with your sample reports printed out for each one of the attendees. NASHI has several free videos on YouTube I suggest you watch them. Most of the online courses are 80 hours. I hope that helped. I also do some HVACR work to keep some income coming while getting my inspection business off and running. I have been pleased with it so far and am as busy as I want to be.

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572352
07/12/19 08:10 AM
07/12/19 08:10 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
From the outside looking in, it sure seems like a good business to be in, in this housing market at least. I'm guessing there's limited overhead and a guy could operate out of his house if he wanted to. The going rate for an inspection around here is $300-$400. If a guy did 2 inspections a day, 5 days a week and took 4 weeks vacation, that's a gross income of almost $170k. Like you said Vermontster, there are costs associated, like insurance and supplies, but dang that all sounds pretty good.

Good luck trapperkeck. I can tell you when it came time to schedule our inspection for the new house we're buying, I contacted both inspectors my realtor suggested and it came down to who could fit us in the soonest and who had better reviews on Google.

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572361
07/12/19 08:32 AM
07/12/19 08:32 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I dabbled in the home inspection thing for a while. I got certified and took all kinds of classes through nachi, and passed the test to do radon testing as well, but never got into it. It was okay, I liked doing the inpsections, that part was easy enough. But the reports took forever, that's why I got out if it.

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572365
07/12/19 08:37 AM
07/12/19 08:37 AM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I'm planning to keep my current job, with benefits, until it doesn't work anymore. From the little bit of time I spent talking to realtors yesterday, there is a shortage of QUALIFIED inspectors out there. When we bought the home we are in now, the fella who did our inspection was a complete moron and I hope he has E/O insurance because he's gonna need it!

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: Gary Benson] #6572401
07/12/19 09:44 AM
07/12/19 09:44 AM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

I appraise farms/ranches for a living. Good gig but the barriers to entry are pretty high due to licensing requirements to be a certified general appraiser. Can be tough to find a mentor willing to train their competition. It is a little easier on the residential side as far as licensing requirements and those guys do well in active market areas.

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572407
07/12/19 10:03 AM
07/12/19 10:03 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I'm planning to keep my current job, with benefits, until it doesn't work anymore. From the little bit of time I spent talking to realtors yesterday, there is a shortage of QUALIFIED inspectors out there. When we bought the home we are in now, the fella who did our inspection was a complete moron and I hope he has E/O insurance because he's gonna need it!

I inspected houses for a few years for realitors when I worked construction. It was a good gig but I discovered rather quickly that the realitiors want you to overlook or down play the smaller issues so the deal goes through. If you cause the clients to back away from the deal you may not work for that realitor ever again, yet knowingly lie and you'll wind up in court. Saying that, most inspections are a piece of cake once you get a routine down. I'm retired with a disability but this would be something I could do. I might be interested if things work out for you.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6572423
07/12/19 10:46 AM
07/12/19 10:46 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Seems like a good business and everything but I dont see why it would be worth someone to franchise? Seems like the barriers to entry are low enough that someone looking to get into it would just start their own and not have to pay the ongoing fees.

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: Gary Benson] #6572615
07/12/19 04:39 PM
07/12/19 04:39 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

That's exactly why I got into the profession. For the big bucks!!!.... On ranches!
Unfortunately, most of the ranches around here are leased, so its hard to get permission.

ol'dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6573047
07/13/19 07:45 AM
07/13/19 07:45 AM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I had the opportunity to be a real estate appraiser about 20 years ago. A college buddy got in through the family business and he wanted me to work with them. I'm still kicking myself for not getting into it back then.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6573453
07/13/19 10:39 PM
07/13/19 10:39 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Real Estate inspection is good work, if you can get it.

First off, inspection and appraisal in Minnesota are two completely different animals. Inspection is unregulated and a lot more technical that appraisal. Appraisal now requires years of formal training, and time working under a certified appraiser, somewhat like an apprenticeship.

For a while I bought and sold houses, and needed to give up my appraisal credentials, as it could have been considered a conflict of interest, every time I made an offer..

I was also a home inspector. I took all the classes that were offered, took the National Home inspection test, and got myself certified by one of the National Associations.

Like I said: Good work if you can get it.

The only meaningful way to get in is to suck up with Realtors. Individuals buying their first house are really the target market. Experienced buyers hire contractors that not only list defects for free, but, quote prices to correct. As a home inspector, you cannot ethically offer repair services.

To summarize: Good work, if you can get it. And remember this: it is only a matter of time before you get sued. So, make sure you have all your bases covered.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: T-Rex] #6574186
07/15/19 08:51 AM
07/15/19 08:51 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by T-Rex
And remember this: it is only a matter of time before you get sued. So, make sure you have all your bases covered.

I'm on the hook for thousands of dollars of repairs to a home I bought. It's probably safe to say thirty or forty thousand dollars. The previous owner didn't disclose the issues and the home inspector can't be faulted for not uncovering them due to the circumstances. If I had thought of it, I probably could have sued the home inspectors insurance company but it never crossed my mind. I probably would not have anyway. I did consult a lawyer about what recourse I might have in the state of Maine by going after the seller for not disclosing the issues. He said I had none.

I can't get out from under this house without shelling out a bundle of money. Caveat emptor.

Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6574304
07/15/19 12:53 PM
07/15/19 12:53 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
If I understand it correctly, here in Minnesota a home inspector can only be held liable for his fees. Refund the fees and your off the book but never thought about their insurance company.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: trapperkeck] #6574340
07/15/19 02:08 PM
07/15/19 02:08 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Make sure you understand septic systems and wells. If one or the other doesn’t work properly and you eye-ball it without testing, you could be in an expensive world of hurt real fast. Lots of us like fixer uppers, but nobody likes expensive surprises.

Home inspector’s here get on roofs and in attics. They look at electrical systems, plumbing, look for mold in basements and attics, drainage away from houses, cracks in basement floors and walls, cracks in garage and driveway surfaces. The list goes on and on. It would help to have training in wells, septic systems, electrical code compliance, plumbing, radon, lead-based paint, heating, a/c and overall ventilation, interior and exterior maintenance and so on. I would suggest meeting with city/county building inspection offices to get their take on codes and what they use as a check-off on homes and apartments. Some communities even want habitability inspections on rental properties once a year!

At the risk of sounding sexist, get your local building inspection training from a woman. MOST of the building/occupancy inspectors I’ve dealt with, who were women, were more conscientious about their jobs.

Never too old to learn
Re: Real Estate Inspector? [Re: Teacher] #6577591
07/20/19 09:58 AM
07/20/19 09:58 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by Teacher
At the risk of sounding sexist, get your local building inspection training from a woman. MOST of the building/occupancy inspectors I’ve dealt with, who were women, were more conscientious about their jobs.
I totally agree. That is sexist!!

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread