No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Genealogy [Re: KeithC] #6572259
07/11/19 11:50 PM
07/11/19 11:50 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by KeithC
I have been researching my families genealogy on and off, for the last year or so. It's interesting and there is an incredible number of ancestors to look at. I have many lines of my ancestors, who can be traced back to the thousands. You have close to a billion potential ancestors a 1000 years ago. Most are of course the same people. There was not even a billion people alive back then. Many of my family lines have records back to the Battle of Hastings and to the First Crusade. Most of my further back relatives, that there are records of, are emperors, kings, dukes, barons, earls, clan chiefs, sheriffs, knights, lords or the female equivalents, probably because those were the people who records were kept on.

My research has found that I had dozens of ancestors in the US in the 1600s. The earliest I can find came in 1630, which is just 10 years after the pilgrims arrived at Plymouth Rock. At least 9 of my many great grandfathers fought in the Revolutionary War. Two more, who were Quakers, were recognized by the Daughters of Liberty, for donating large amounts of money to the Continental Army. I just started looking at the War of 1812 better and at least 3 of my many great grandfathers fought in it. At least one many great grandfather fought in both.

Last night, I was looking at the Beeson line of my family, who I am related to though by my maternal grandfather. Private Thomas Vandever Beason, one of my many great cousins, who is named for one of my many great grandfathers, died on the ramparts of Fort McHenry on 9/13/1814, defending the Star Spangled Banner as Francis Scott Key watched and was inspired to write the poem, that became Our National Anthem.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34422499/thomas-vandever-beeson

Knowing that I had ancestors and relatives at important historical events, makes history much more interesting.

Do any of you like researching your genealogy too?

Keith

Nice Keith … I have been occupied by this obsession for over 38 years now and have 50,223 names in my data base. It is a never ending trail. At the beginning of 2018 I had 8 "Brickwalls" I needed to Solve. With very intent research, some 8 to 10 hour days and trips to various libraries … I was able to break through 6 of those walls. This was usually taking them back to Europe and into late 16000 or early 1700s. With one break through, I was surprised to be led to the Mayflower and the first trip with the Pilgrims. I had no previous idea of such a connection. I have also found the last of my ancestors came to this country in about 1803 … So, I wasn't able to get any help from the Ellis Island records. I too am blessed with having some good blood lines and I think from 6 U.S. Presidents, Daniel Boone, Henry Morgan the pirate, and General Daniel Morgan, also a cousin of Daniel Boone. During the Civil War, I think I had more Upper level people from the south than from the north. From the North Abe Lincoln and from the south Robert E Lee, Jefferson Davis and General Turner Ashby. The heck of it is from all of the Royalty, Nobility, and High level officials I had in family … none of them left me any money or land. Just memories.

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 07/12/19 10:27 AM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Genealogy [Re: bucksnbears] #6572264
07/11/19 11:54 PM
07/11/19 11:54 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Just a question?
Why are folks enthralled with these things?
Is it for conversation?
The older I get, I could care less if I was related to anyone famous.
But I did play with Prince as a kid smile

The truth of question is … most people that do genealogy research are usually older people … WHY? Well they have finally slowed down, got the kids grown and out from under foot and they start to think about the past and the past goes back a lot further than what they can see in front of them.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Genealogy [Re: KeithC] #6572978
07/13/19 01:25 AM
07/13/19 01:25 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I was looking at more of my pedigree tonight. My 11th Great Grandfather was Senior Elder William Brewster, who arrived in 1620, on the Mayflower with his wife and my 11th Great Grandmother Mary. He was the religious and community leader of the pilgrims until 1629. It made my night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brewster_(Mayflower_passenger)

The Mormons have parts of my pedigree back until well before the birth of Christ. If you are interested in your genealogy, I highly recommend taking a look at:

https://www.familysearch.org/

Keith

Re: Genealogy [Re: KeithC] #6572985
07/13/19 01:39 AM
07/13/19 01:39 AM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
My ancestors escaped through the Caucasus mountains.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread