ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Going Bigger #6571715
07/11/19 12:56 AM
07/11/19 12:56 AM
OK
B
barking waters Offline OP
trapper
barking waters  Offline OP
trapper
B

OK
I have done Newco work on a small scale for many years, mainly a few cage jobs and a lot of beaver removal. But now I moved to a new area and I can now afford to slow down on other responsibilities and would like to try to make more money and go full time on trapping. Any advice on getting started? Especially on advertising and what other forms of trapping should one educate himself to grow in this business? I have no illusions of making it rich I have been in the trapping game too long to expect that. But with the kid moved out and house paid off I figure this would be a time to try something I always wanted to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6571737
07/11/19 06:19 AM
07/11/19 06:19 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I'm not familiar with the term Newco.

I suppose the first thing you need to decide on is what you're interested in doing. We do an awful lot of work with things that make noise in the attic. Familiarizing yourself with them and how to fix the houses safely goes a long way toward paying the bills. The guy with a wife that just cut him off because she's mildly irritated he hasn't gotten rid of the mice, raccoons, bats, that thing running across the ceiling all night has some major motivation to give up some hard earned money for a bit of marital bliss. He might be able to ignore the woodchuck under the shed indefinitely.

Advertising is an interesting topic as everybody does it differently and has their own idea on what is best. Advertising also costs money, especially if you're in a new area without a referral base. Low budget, bang for the buck advertising, label the truck and let people know you exist. Wear a shirt with your company logo to the grocery store and gas station. Business cards can be handed out. Tell everybody you know that you're in business.

Then it's down to time and money. You can buy leads or sit and wait for them. Web page, social media, can be done by you if you're willing to put the time in. Or you can pay somebody. I know companies that have gone into an area and had exponential growth in their first year, but they threw crazy money into growing their company.

Last edited by EatenByLimestone; 07/11/19 06:20 AM.
Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6572133
07/11/19 08:58 PM
07/11/19 08:58 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I put up cards in every feed store and mom n pop store in the country and got in with the local Federal trapper who referred me his overflow beaver removal.
Earned a good living for 7 yrs until my back went out.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6572152
07/11/19 09:16 PM
07/11/19 09:16 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Cards are an excellent way to get the word out. I had some 3 x 5 cards made up with my name and info. In the background are some of the catches I've made so the customer can actually see what you can do. My first year I saved every gopher I caught just for this reason. A picture of me kneeling in front of a large pile of gophers (or whatever) really gets there attention. Telling them you caught 350 gophers vs showing them will convince them that you can do the job. I also added pictures of other things I caught to show my versatility. Most of my customers have no problem showing off my card to others and that's about the best advertisement you can get.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6572909
07/12/19 11:18 PM
07/12/19 11:18 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Dog catchers hate when they get wildlife calls. Most won't do it. Find that guy and give him a bunch of business cards.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6573018
07/13/19 06:50 AM
07/13/19 06:50 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
x2 on aco's, I don't know many who handle wildlife if they aren't permitted to. They turn a lot of calls over to wildlife folks. Pd's are a great place to drop cards off at. Try to hook up with bigger outfits that deal in only pest control ie..bugs. I get a lot of work through word of mouth by a few big named outfits. I wouldn't be a sub for them though, double edged sword. Word of mouth alone will drive call volume. So many avenues to go down that could potentially get your name out there, but city work is where the money is. Tough start if you are trying to start up in an area where most folks rather live with the problems or take care of them their self. Enjoying what you do is great, but when you're putting out funds to trap and not making any back will catch up and create problems. I know it would for me. Either way Good luck

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6580995
07/25/19 05:54 PM
07/25/19 05:54 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline
trapper
Coondog6  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
Learn flying squirrel and bat exclusion.

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6581021
07/25/19 06:56 PM
07/25/19 06:56 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Everyone hates bats and bee's. Are you going it alone are going to have others in the business?

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Going Bigger [Re: 52Carl] #6581432
07/26/19 12:48 PM
07/26/19 12:48 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Dog catchers hate when they get wildlife calls. Most won't do it. Find that guy and give him a bunch of business cards.

YEP!..i forgot about them, our "animal control" ONLY do cats and dogs, and I gave them a few cards, and they posted 1 in their office for all staff to call me when it was not a domestic.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6581700
07/26/19 08:32 PM
07/26/19 08:32 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Was in the DMV today getting a copy of a registration and had 2 people notice our logo and start up conversations. I ended up handing a card out for bats and ants. Hopefully they turn into jobs. You never know where you'll be when somebody decides now is the time to discuss their issue.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6582508
07/27/19 08:42 PM
07/27/19 08:42 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
#1 Best advice I have is buy magnetic business cards. In this line of work they may only need you every 3-5 years that magnet will still be on the refrigerator when they need you again.

Phone skills is #2 Be nice no matter how busy you are do not be an (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) on the phone, might just be a northeast problem but I get a lot of work even if I am higher priced just because I treat people like I wish to be treated.

Re: Going Bigger [Re: barking waters] #6582588
07/27/19 09:42 PM
07/27/19 09:42 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
RF Wildlife, two real good points, I use both! Make sure your customer knows and understands everything you are going to do for them, and end with do you have any questions or concerns. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread