No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6575738
07/17/19 06:17 PM
07/17/19 06:17 PM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline
trapper
muskrat411  Offline
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Not trapping related but reading the other stories got me thinking of this one.

Heard a story about a guy who paddled down the porcupine river one year. I guess the rain really started up one evening and he was getting soaked and really cold. He started smelling camp fire smoke and luckily for him he came upon a cabin where the occupant readily invited him in out of the weather and fed him well. The next day he continued on his way and eventually reached the community of OldCrow Yukon. Some of the locals noticed him pulling in and in their usual fashion went down to welcome him and hear the stories of his river adventure. One of the guys asked how he made out in the rain. He told them about the nice old man who helped him out and went on further to describe the guys nice cabin in detail. This bit of information had the local guys full attention. Once he said the guys name the locals kind of looked at him and each other in disbelief. Turns out the friendly old man had passed away several years before and his cabin and personality fit the paddlers description to a tee.

How come you never told us about this when we at the Head of Blow river we could have went and stayed with that old man. Him and wally probably really get along good.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: Sullivan K] #6575804
07/17/19 07:24 PM
07/17/19 07:24 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Originally Posted by Sullivan K
50 years ago we used to hunt deer in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. I was about a half a mile back in, hunting along a little creek called Nuns creek. There were no houses, no nothing in the area, especially off to the north. I heard this very loud buzzing noise on the North side of the creek. A very hard to describe noise. It certainly wasn't a chain saw and it was nothing but an impassible cedar swamp on the other side of the creek. It was an area hard to get to and not an area anybody would just go traipsing around in. Never did figure out what it was, it was just a very loud, distinct noise, in the middle of nothing.

Ever seen the movie "Escanaba in da Moonlight"? LOL (we watch it every year during deer camp)

jim
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: jctunnelrat] #6575841
07/17/19 08:08 PM
07/17/19 08:08 PM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Originally Posted by Sullivan K
50 years ago we used to hunt deer in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. I was about a half a mile back in, hunting along a little creek called Nuns creek. There were no houses, no nothing in the area, especially off to the north. I heard this very loud buzzing noise on the North side of the creek. A very hard to describe noise. It certainly wasn't a chain saw and it was nothing but an impassible cedar swamp on the other side of the creek. It was an area hard to get to and not an area anybody would just go traipsing around in. Never did figure out what it was, it was just a very loud, distinct noise, in the middle of nothing.

Ever seen the movie "Escanaba in da Moonlight"? LOL (we watch it every year during deer camp)

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575842
07/17/19 08:10 PM
07/17/19 08:10 PM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
Escanaba in da Moonlight. Same at our camp watch it at least a couple times especially after a few cool ones to set your mind right!

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575848
07/17/19 08:21 PM
07/17/19 08:21 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I seen a sightin! That is pretty much the only VHS that ever graces our VCR at our hunting camp. We watch it a few times during deer camp, and usually at least once a weekend when we're up in the off season. I can still remember going to see it in the theater when it first came out.

It's on Amazon Prime video I believe if anyone wants to watch it.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: tlguy] #6575875
07/17/19 08:57 PM
07/17/19 08:57 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Dang, in 60 years of rambling thru the brush I have never had anything strange or unusual happen.
There is always tomorrow though.

Zim

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575907
07/17/19 09:17 PM
07/17/19 09:17 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
I found a prosthetic leg once up a creek with no homes further upstream, and many miles from the nearest home downstream. Didn't find the body that went with the leg though.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575910
07/17/19 09:19 PM
07/17/19 09:19 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I know this will sound weird but I swear to God it happened this winter when trapping the river for beaver, I was going down onto the sand bar backwards so if I fell I would slide down the bank and remain standing. When stepping down the bank I was facing west, the river runs north and south at this point, next thing I know I’m in the air with my hat falling off, my gun falling out of my holster, when I hit the ground only my right butt cheek hit touch and I was facing east. After sitting for a minute I got up and realized I was 10 feet away from the bank with no tracks between my butt and the bank I picked up my hat and gun and went home. For the next week I felt like I was in a fog and hardly had any strength.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575942
07/17/19 09:58 PM
07/17/19 09:58 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Short story.
Scouting for deer.
Saw this empty box with a picture of very large marital aid device on it laying on the ground.
Couldn't have been more startled than if it had been a rattle snake.
Or so I thought.
As I was running to get out of there, I almost ran right into said device, strapped to a tree at the appropriate height for inappropriate activity.
What is wrong with people?!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575952
07/17/19 10:10 PM
07/17/19 10:10 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
I wasn’t trapping, but fishing for brook trout 20 some years ago in north central Pa. While hiking in to fish a stream, I saw a dead deer in the forks of a chestnut oak, about 20 feet in the air. How the deer got up there remained a mystery until I read an article about how the Game Commission had dropped roadkilled deer from Chinooks on loan from a local Army Reserve outfit. The PGC had recently released fishers in the Wild Area to reestablish them in the state, and someone thought it would be a good idea to give them some feed.

Mystery solved.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575996
07/17/19 11:34 PM
07/17/19 11:34 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
These are some great stories. Stuff people who stay in their suburbia homes never see or experience. Creepy or otherwise.

I've only been trapping for 1+ full seasons so nothing too crazy has happened on the trapline. However, I was quail hunting eastern Oregon about 5 years ago in a remote, deep canyon that had some old growth sage and switchgrass down in it with steep canyon walls. This canyon spurred off of a very rural desert dirt road about 20 miles from the nearest paved road and there was not another vehicle or sign of a person in sight. Was following my two GSPs through the canyon when I looked to my left and on a flat piece of granite was a red human handprint, still very wet in what appeared to be blood. It was a perfect handprint on a piece of granite wall that was obviously deliberately put there, not like someone was running and swiped their hand across it. I got the total heebie jeebies about it, called my dogs back to me and decided to go hit a different canyon.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576022
07/18/19 01:02 AM
07/18/19 01:02 AM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
I gotta say these are some awesome stories! Some are so funny and others give me the creeps! and that’s exactly what I was shooting for!!! Keep me coming if ya got em! And thank you for posting!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576159
07/18/19 09:11 AM
07/18/19 09:11 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Had a buddy call me a few years ago and said someone was poaching deer on my property.
I found that hard to believe as I'm purdy keen on what goes on there.
I asked him why he thought that?
Well, he went skiing on the river ice during a full moon at way after dark.
Came around the farthest bend and seen lights just up from the river bank in the woods.
He turned around not wanting to get in a confrontation.
I bowhunting that remote stretch but only in the mornings and have to access it by canoe.
Stands are hard to find in the dark so I hang some cheap solar lights.
That's what he seen LOL.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576218
07/18/19 10:43 AM
07/18/19 10:43 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I was trapping beaver on the Stillwater river which is a boulder strewn channel bed from start to finish with aspen, cottonwood and willow tree's lining the bank. It's also a wind tunnel coming off the Beartooth mtns.
I noticed a few aspen tree's the beaver had been chewing on in a spot where the creek washed out the bank was around 5' so I made a mental note to myself to keep an eye on those tree's .
During the next check the one tree had fallen over into the river hitting a young whitetail buck on the back forcing it down into the water killing it . Sadly the pictures I took of this were lost in time.
So yes beaver can kill deer ha ha

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576313
07/18/19 02:08 PM
07/18/19 02:08 PM
Wyoming
H
Hobbs Offline
trapper
Hobbs  Offline
trapper
H

Wyoming
One night during the dead of winter I went out and ran my small line. Now, where I live it takes me quite awhile to reach good ground for trapping. As I head back in to town after my checks I notice a light from a helicopter (pretty sure it was a helicopter but I never saw it) off to the right side of my truck. That light followed me all the way back to town. Never figured out why it was following me, I always guessed that it was just following cause he/she could.

It's a trappers life for me
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576512
07/18/19 07:51 PM
07/18/19 07:51 PM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
Seems to be quite a few stories of strange lights. I’ve always heard, don’t follow the lights in the woods. Not sure why, old wives tale I’m sure.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576524
07/18/19 08:11 PM
07/18/19 08:11 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I was always told not to because it could be a reflection off of water or ice, and when especially when in unfamiliar woods you could fall into the water or get lost because you’re not paying attention to where you are going.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576533
07/18/19 08:21 PM
07/18/19 08:21 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
My father and I made the Wolverine Hat for "Escanaba in da Moonlight" My daughter was young but got meet Jeff Daniels. Those were fun days in the UP.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576543
07/18/19 08:33 PM
07/18/19 08:33 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by I57trapper
New to the forum! Seems every time i talk to fellow trappers/hunters i eventually ask if they’ve seen anything strange out in the woods? So I’m just jumping right to the punch. I saw a stealth bomber flying extremely low and not making a sound once and also saw a floating light in a bottoms at night that completely threw me for a loop how it maneuvered. Also had a buddy find a dead body under a bridge! eek anyway, share your stories! I wanna hear anything creepy, ghostly, paranormal, criminal, or highly strange! And if you wanna be anonymous just send me a message! I would love to hear it!

Did it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FridXUHwYw

I'd be interested in a thread devoted only to lights of this nature. I hesitate to even bring it up because of the nonbelievers, but am interested if any others have witnessed such a display.

I have a story to share.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6576551
07/18/19 08:55 PM
07/18/19 08:55 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

There's a town called Woodsen just south of Little Rock that had a light that was similar to those in the video Muskrat. You could see it when you traveled down Woodsen Lateral Rd. By the time I was old enough to drive it was not as commonly seen as it was in the 70's due to the clearing of the woods for subdivisions. I did see it once though. It seemed to bounce across the road about 50 yards in front of the parked vehicle. Strange thing.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread