No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7220876
03/19/21 12:04 PM
03/19/21 12:04 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
While living in AZ I was told of a trapper that caught a blue eyed lion on the san carlos reservation, they had to get a sha-man to check it over to see if it was a shape shifter, and then determine if it was to be release or disposed of. I heard they put it down.

i have been in canyons out west that once you entered them all noise ceased, one of the times i found where a lion had killed a trapper gray fox, so i figure lions were close

another time in NM it went quite and then at the trail head i saw one of the released mexican wolves

A number of rattle snake run ins, some very close.

Seen quite a few lights in the sky in AZ and NM. some very close.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7220929
03/19/21 01:18 PM
03/19/21 01:18 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

One morning after I attended a Grateful Dead concert I had a raccoon in the first set I checked. He asked me how the show was and if Jerry Garcia had gotten his chops back.

To this day I have no idea how he knew I went to the concert.

-Goofy-
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7220938
03/19/21 01:34 PM
03/19/21 01:34 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
I once caught a muskrat in the river, but when i went to take him out of the trap, thing that was odd id that every bone in its body was broken, crushed really. It was like a big mushy ball. Was a real pain to skin, but no holes or punctures, just lots of bruising.

Still cannot figure out how that happened

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7220948
03/19/21 01:45 PM
03/19/21 01:45 PM
SD
653 Offline
trapper
653  Offline
trapper

SD
was up in the mountains montana elk hunting bout 3 miles from anywhere you could get a vehicle of any kind really rough boulder ground and found a piston from something layiny on a rock. looked to be 100 yrs old by the design and rings sits in my shed now. the thing weighed 4 lbs

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: 653] #7220965
03/19/21 02:04 PM
03/19/21 02:04 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
Originally Posted by 653
was up in the mountains montana elk hunting bout 3 miles from anywhere you could get a vehicle of any kind really rough boulder ground and found a piston from something layiny on a rock. looked to be 100 yrs old by the design and rings sits in my shed now. the thing weighed 4 lbs

Old mining equipment?

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221096
03/19/21 04:16 PM
03/19/21 04:16 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Once,,when I came back from checking traps,,,I logged into Trapperman and found a Coonman post that was in perfect English,,very legible and made perfect sense.Also didn't have anything to do with his truck,,or work. HAHAhaaaaaaa just kidden.That would only happen in the Twilight Zone. grin

Last edited by upstateNY; 03/19/21 04:18 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221115
03/19/21 04:42 PM
03/19/21 04:42 PM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
I was bird hunting in Michigan's U.P. with my father and brother-in-law back in the late '80s. Love 'em both, but those two had a dickens of a time keeping track of where we were in relation to where we parked the trucks - it got to be quite the joke every time we ventured out. One time out we decided to try a remote area new to us. We parked the trucks and I marked the spot in my newly acquired GPS as we turned the dogs loose and then started our hunting. After a few hours of meandering all about we came upon a two track and per the required joke I asked them both which way to where we parked the trucks. In this particular case I was SURE that the trucks were just around the corner down the two track off to our right about a quarter mile. After getting answers from those two - neither agreeing with my assessment of direction - they wanted me to fire up the GPS to see who was right, so I did. To my total disbelief, the GPS showed the waypoint to be near where we were, but to the LEFT of us about quarter mile. I immediately called BS and proceeded to try and convince the other two that I was right and this piece of technology was wrong - they weren't buying it. I finally convinced them to take the two track to the right in the direction I had believed - and still believed - was the correct way back to our parked trucks. We started walking and after a quarter mile or so we came to our parked trucks, very much to their surprise as during this leg of the walk the GPS showed us moving further away from the spot it was directing us to. So now we're back to the parked trucks and I'm back to feeling confident in my navigation skills, but I'm confused and disappointed in the GPS situation so I decide I'm going to check out the spot this thing is set at. The other two didn't want to go, so off I went with the GPS in hand checking the screen all along the way until I get to the spot - a small clearing. This particular spot struck me as odd as walking into it appeared to be a perfectly round circle, about 100-ft in diameter, with nothing but tall grass growing in it. No ferns, no saplings, no old stumps. Now is when it got really odd - as I'm standing there looking at the GPS the screen slowly clears itself, first scrolling to a blank screen, then scrolling back to the navigation screen - but with the waypoint now showing THE SPOT WE PARKED THE TRUCKS. I recall turning the device off and back on again only to find it showing the correct spot, and never again did it ever do this. The other odd thing is that during this particular hunt (and I believe when I was standing in that mystery spot) my compass needle switched polarity and to this day is backwards from how it was purchased.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: GWGjr] #7221152
03/19/21 05:25 PM
03/19/21 05:25 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by GWGjr
I was bird hunting in Michigan's U.P. with my father and brother-in-law back in the late '80s. Love 'em both, but those two had a dickens of a time keeping track of where we were in relation to where we parked the trucks - it got to be quite the joke every time we ventured out. One time out we decided to try a remote area new to us. We parked the trucks and I marked the spot in my newly acquired GPS as we turned the dogs loose and then started our hunting. After a few hours of meandering all about we came upon a two track and per the required joke I asked them both which way to where we parked the trucks. In this particular case I was SURE that the trucks were just around the corner down the two track off to our right about a quarter mile. After getting answers from those two - neither agreeing with my assessment of direction - they wanted me to fire up the GPS to see who was right, so I did. To my total disbelief, the GPS showed the waypoint to be near where we were, but to the LEFT of us about quarter mile. I immediately called BS and proceeded to try and convince the other two that I was right and this piece of technology was wrong - they weren't buying it. I finally convinced them to take the two track to the right in the direction I had believed - and still believed - was the correct way back to our parked trucks. We started walking and after a quarter mile or so we came to our parked trucks, very much to their surprise as during this leg of the walk the GPS showed us moving further away from the spot it was directing us to. So now we're back to the parked trucks and I'm back to feeling confident in my navigation skills, but I'm confused and disappointed in the GPS situation so I decide I'm going to check out the spot this thing is set at. The other two didn't want to go, so off I went with the GPS in hand checking the screen all along the way until I get to the spot - a small clearing. This particular spot struck me as odd as walking into it appeared to be a perfectly round circle, about 100-ft in diameter, with nothing but tall grass growing in it. No ferns, no saplings, no old stumps. Now is when it got really odd - as I'm standing there looking at the GPS the screen slowly clears itself, first scrolling to a blank screen, then scrolling back to the navigation screen - but with the waypoint now showing THE SPOT WE PARKED THE TRUCKS. I recall turning the device off and back on again only to find it showing the correct spot, and never again did it ever do this. The other odd thing is that during this particular hunt (and I believe when I was standing in that mystery spot) my compass needle switched polarity and to this day is backwards from how it was purchased.

Did you look around for a piece of meteor in the area?

-Goofy-
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: GWGjr] #7221156
03/19/21 05:31 PM
03/19/21 05:31 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Where is Michigan was this? We hunted near Copper Harbor one year with a friends grandfather. Following the compass that kept taking us in circles to this open area similar to what you described. That was probably 30 yrs ago. We just figured the was a deposit there

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: ToTheWoods] #7221330
03/19/21 08:51 PM
03/19/21 08:51 PM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by GWGjr

Did you look around for a piece of meteor in the area?

There wasn't anything that stood out on the surface, but perhaps something was buried from long ago.

Originally Posted by ToTheWoods
Where is Michigan was this? We hunted near Copper Harbor one year with a friends grandfather. Following the compass that kept taking us in circles to this open area similar to what you described. That was probably 30 yrs ago. We just figured the was a deposit there

We were in the central portion of the U.P. - lot of iron ore deposits in that area as well.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221471
03/19/21 11:26 PM
03/19/21 11:26 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Iv always wondered where ghosts get their clothes.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221610
03/20/21 06:20 AM
03/20/21 06:20 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
This was still one of my weirdest. Checking coon sets ata bout 3:00AM and come.across this in my little flashlight beam. Big mature boar caught in hind foot in 1.5 bridger at dirthole set. Looked like he put up quite a fight before whatever killed and half ate it. A big boar coon is a fairly scrappy animal, and some thing really kicked this ones (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and ate half of it. Was an eerie walk back out with me scratching my head.
[Linked Image]

I've come across other odd stuff over my 40+ years on the line. Walked up on a car way out in middle of a corn field near where I had some coyote sets. This was late at night too. Guy and a girl inside sleeping it off. Thought they were dead at first, no just drunk and sleeping and he didn't remember driving into a corn field.stsrtled the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) out of him when I knocked on the window...and I wasn't sure if I should knock or not, they looked dead in my flashlight.

Found homeless camps here and there along creeks, those are weird to walk up on in dark too.

Found about half a box of live 20 gauge shells in small pile in middle of a field once too. Must have fell out of pocket or box but was odd to find, not an everyday occurrence at all.

I have a fishing rod I found, no reel, nice rod too. Had been there all winter and not claimed and looked like it was there well before I noticed it in fencerow. Farmer/landowner didn't recognize it when I finally picked it up and took it to him. His pond is only accessed by 1/2 mile hike through his corn field. He said to keep it nobody supposed to be back there anyway but me for coon and coyotes.

Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221611
03/20/21 06:22 AM
03/20/21 06:22 AM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
My buddy and me and 2 other guys were hog hunting in south GA one night. Me and Mike split up from the other 2 guys and we hit a farmers field a couple miles away. We let the dogs loose and we started walking. The field was in an oval shape. By the time we were across the field from the truck I tapped Mike on the shoulder and pointed at the truck. The door was open and you could see a figure standing there looking inside with a head lamp on. The figure stood back and looked up scanning the tree tops. In seconds poof! The figure and the light were gone! Mike hit the other guys on the walkie to see if they were at the truck. They hit back saying they were still a couple miles away. We both looked at each other and ran to the truck. Nothing missing. Truck door and interior light still on. No fresh tracks in the sand. Couldn’t explain it. No house around for miles.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221724
03/20/21 10:10 AM
03/20/21 10:10 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Trapping beaver on a retention pond last week. Still quite a bit of blown snow on one bank and there sits an ice fishing sled, tent in a tote bag, bag of garbage and a LEAF BLOWER. All half buried in snow. I took the sled.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: grisseldog] #7221756
03/20/21 10:58 AM
03/20/21 10:58 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by grisseldog
Iv always wondered where ghosts get their clothes.

The.electromagnetic flux from the heating elements coupled with the drum rotation create a cross-dimensional portal in your dryer... All of your missing socks go to the great beyond.

My theory is that if you were to reverse the drum drive motor it would pull clothes back in from the other dimension.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221886
03/20/21 02:17 PM
03/20/21 02:17 PM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
saw a man walking along side the road on one of the farm lanes I trap.............I looked over for a few seconds to change the radio, looked up.......he was gone......vanished...now mind you this was down a lane , all the fields turned, and the closet any trees were, woulda been 1/4 mile away...................I still think about sometimes.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #7221891
03/20/21 02:25 PM
03/20/21 02:25 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Went to "Blue Oyster Cults" last Lazer Light show concert.Saw all kinds of funky stuff coming back from that one! grin Oh yea,,and had to check traps the next morning.All I could hear checking traps the next day was "Don't Fear The Reaper".

Last edited by upstateNY; 03/20/21 02:26 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread