No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline #6574676
07/15/19 11:25 PM
07/15/19 11:25 PM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
New to the forum! Seems every time i talk to fellow trappers/hunters i eventually ask if they’ve seen anything strange out in the woods? So I’m just jumping right to the punch. I saw a stealth bomber flying extremely low and not making a sound once and also saw a floating light in a bottoms at night that completely threw me for a loop how it maneuvered. Also had a buddy find a dead body under a bridge! eek anyway, share your stories! I wanna hear anything creepy, ghostly, paranormal, criminal, or highly strange! And if you wanna be anonymous just send me a message! I would love to hear it!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574695
07/16/19 12:11 AM
07/16/19 12:11 AM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Way out in the south Idaho sagebrush I found a 16’ tape measure fully extended just laying there. Nothing around to measure no road no trail just sagebrush. Same season,again no road just a small game trail in a spot probably only a trapper would go, I found a military camo jacket with a very large and partially crushed bottle of aspirin in one pocket and $4 in another. Nothing else around that I could see to explain why it was there. Also not far from the tape measure I found a bow fishing arrow way up in the sagebrush. Wasn’t far from a river but still a few hundred yards from the water. Must be something going on out there I don’t know about.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: 10bands] #6574697
07/16/19 12:14 AM
07/16/19 12:14 AM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
Now that’s defintely out of place. Wonder what the heck was going on?

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574707
07/16/19 01:14 AM
07/16/19 01:14 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I’m glad I don’t trap in Illinois!

Cold as ice!
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574817
07/16/19 08:38 AM
07/16/19 08:38 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
We just legalized weed. I bet we find a lot more things in the woods JP

Never know what you'll find here. Nothing surprises me. Guys that look like Hal's niece wandering in the brush singing Bob Dylan songs...

Just passin through
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574823
07/16/19 08:50 AM
07/16/19 08:50 AM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
I havent seen na haints or boogermen

I did find a teddy bear in the middle of nowhete once on the border

There i said it....
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574842
07/16/19 09:26 AM
07/16/19 09:26 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
One time I was walking an old railroad grade and just off to the side was what looked liked a grave.It was about 3'long,maybe a couple feet wide and lined with brick.At one end of it was a collection of old plastic flowers.That was about 40 yrs,ago,I was back there about 20 yrs ago and if it wasn't for finding a brick and a plastic flower I wouldn't have found it.Always wondered about it,could have been where somebody buried their dog but why way out there?If not a dog,then what,somebody's baby?The grade dated back to the logging days,but the grave didn't.When I found it,around '79 or '80,it had been there a while,but not that long,maybe 20 yrs. before.I had a time trying to find it 20 yrs ago,I'm pretty sure all trace of it would be gone now.I remember one old timer telling me about a baby being still born on his family farm.He said his dad took the baby and buried it next to their machine shed.Things like that weren't so formal then like they are today.Maybe what I found that day was something similar.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574870
07/16/19 09:57 AM
07/16/19 09:57 AM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
Found a colt 45 cal pistol in a case by an expressway bridge. No clip

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574873
07/16/19 09:59 AM
07/16/19 09:59 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Welcome, pull up a chair and your favorite drink.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574880
07/16/19 10:20 AM
07/16/19 10:20 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
One time, I was checking some muskrat sets under a bridge at about 4am in the pitch black. I had a LED light clipped to my hat and the water under the bridge was about 2' deep. Well, once I climbed down there and clicked on the light, all heck broke loose LOL. There was a flock of pigeons roosted under the bridge right a face level and they burst out of there in a flurry of flapping wings and noise and just about gave me a cardiac arrest LOL. after I collected my thoughts, I noticed something out of place... somebody had hung a piece of plywood from the ceiling to form a shelf and on that shelf sat some stolen goods... DVD player and some other random stuff. Notified the police, collected my traps so they wouldn't get stolen and went on my way. Replaced my sets there about a week later, shelf was gone, but the danged pigeons scared the heck out of me again.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: slydogx] #6574892
07/16/19 10:47 AM
07/16/19 10:47 AM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
THE MONSTER

(Authors note: This story is exactly as it happened; there was no need to enhance it, as it is pretty unbelievable as it is. People have accused us of lying about it, or making it up. Well what purpose would that serve? I freely admit I was scared “spitless” and Arnold , well he was mighty concerned.)

The headlights of the truck slanted through the trees illuminating them in a ghostly fashion as we pulled up Walls’ driveway,. It was Thanksgiving Day 1992, around 3:30 AM., and as dark as midnight in a mineshaft, as there was no moon and heavy cloud cover. Arnold’s Truck rattled to a stop and we stepped out in to the chill night air. We gathered the buckets of trapping gear, and slipped our pistols into their holsters. We got ready to do the loop as we called it, down the hill, up the valley, around the field, and back across the valley to the truck. Arnold and I walked along, checking our coon sets, talking softly back and forth to each other as we usually did. This part of the valley is thick enough to stall a Tiger tank. The multi-flora rose and honeysuckle creating almost impenetrable walls of vegetation, so dense that even in the daylight you can only see about 20 feet. The only way through is a single deer path. Strangely the woods seemed to deathly quiet, I mean no owl hoots, no deer or rabbits breaking cover, not even a breath of wind. It was a very eerie sensation, and suddenly I felt the hair on the nape of my neck stand up….

The Darlington Valley of Delaware County Pennsylvania has a long history of strange incidents and occurrences. Many people have reported seeing strange things lurking in the seemingly ever-present mist of early morning and evening. Far more people have reported hearing horrible cries, screams and roars coming from the dark woods. So horrific were the sounds some people vowed never to again return to the valley.

My Dads close friend Melvin and his girlfriend had an experience neither of them ever forgot. Melvin and his girlfriend (I can't recall her name) were um, ah parking down in the valley late one night. As usually happens they were rather involved in what they were doing, when suddenly behind their car "The Monster" let loose with its audio assortment of mayhem. Even before the cries faded away, Melvin had the car started and was laying a smoky trail of rubber out of the valley. He told his friends that this was no animal he'd ever heard. Melvin was a good ole boy, born and raised as a hunter and trapper, so he knew the sounds of the woods. However his friends being young punks, of course teased him unmercifully, calling it Melvin's Monster. Well it frightened him so badly whenever he and his friends hunted the valley he would not get out of the car till it was light and would always be back at the car long before dark. No one believed poor Melvin or his girlfriend. Yet stories of "The Monster" continued for years afterward even up till this very day.

I had heard the stories of the "Darlington Monster" as a child from both my Father (who didn't believe a word of it) and my Mother (who always said, “There is something evil in that valley.”) I personally decided that it was probably just different animals making noises and citified people couldn't explain them and therefore were scared of what they heard. Foxes screaming, coons barking and growling, and numerous owl cries can unnerve the unknowing. Little did I know that I would get a first person interview with the legend itself.

We were walking along guided by our trusty $1.24 flashlight, its dim sickly yellow light barely illuminating our chosen path. Suddenly it front of us this thing, beast, monster lets out this sound. (No I can’t tell you exactly how it sounded, since I have never before or since heard such a sound.) It started with a rumble like distant thunder, rose up to a howling shriek like banshee with a toothache and tapered off to a mad dog howl. It was so loud it reverberated in our chest and we could feel it strike our faces. Arnold and I both looked at each other and said, "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT??????" If you think this was inappropriate language, all I can say is brother you weren't there! We drew our pistols and loaded them so fast, we could have beaten Butch, Sundance, or The Kid. This is all the more amazing considering the pistols were in snap down holsters and the bullets were in our pockets. We tried shining the light around but that did nothing constructive for our heart rates. All the more disturbing was there was now no sound, so whatever made that noise was still right there in front of us just beyond the light. (The floor of the valley was cover with dry leaves so even a slight movement would be heard.) I will be perfectly honest with you; if I had been alone I would have turned tail and run till I hit asphalt (the nearest road is over a mile and a half from where I was.) I had a million thoughts going through my mind, “What the heck was that?, Why am I in this valley?” and “Why in the world do I have “Now I lay me down to sleep” running over and over in my mind?” Arnold suggested we should slowly move off to the right to our other sets out in the field. You can believe me when I say this was met with less enthusiasm than "The Charge of the Light Brigade" they were only riding into the Valley of Death, I was already there. I informed Arnold I liked the tree I was backed up against and daylight was only 1 1/2hrs away so why not wait around for it. Arnold coerced me into following him by starting off toward the field with the flashlight in one hand and a fully loaded and cocked pistol in the other. I sure as heck wasn't going to sit there in the dark by myself. I quickly covered his back trail, with my pistol fully loaded and cocked as well. To say we covered the 200 yards from where we met the monster to the edge of the field where our sets were at carefully is a masterpiece of understatement. We were so slow and cautious you'd thought we were tiptoeing through a minefield. Thank God no deer broke through the brush or rabbit scampered through the dry leaves, otherwise there would have been a hail of lead laid down. We finally made it to the field edge without any more loud scary surprises. After checking our sets we had to re-enter the valley to get back to the truck. It was just light enough to see when we marched back into the valley. On the far side we heard the noise again. We continued back to the truck and got the heck out of there. Did this experience change us? Well yes and no, we were back checking traps the next day in the same valley, but now we had fully loaded pistols in unsnapped holsters.

Arnold and I have talked about this incident many times since then. We know what we heard. Arnold and I between us have over 60 years of experience in the woods, from southern Virginia swamps to New York mountaintops to Midwest plains; we have been to them all. We firmly agree it was no animal that walks the woods (to many sound variations in a short time), or human (no way a person could make those noises).

So you may ask what it was then. Well we believe it was a demon or other restless spirit, the whole valley is known to be an Indian burial ground. It is rumored to be the Lenni-Lenape royal burial area, but I’m not sure of that. I am sure what I hear and what happened though, and all I can say is if I never hear it again it'll be too soon.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574895
07/16/19 10:56 AM
07/16/19 10:56 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Was hunting late in the afternoon without much luck and sat down to take a break on a fallen oak tree that was on a rise with a good view looking down the hill in all directions and thinking what a great deer stand it would be that fallen tree was just big enough to be a perfect spot to sit, so I was just sitting there looking around and noticed something odd so scrapped the oak leaves away and there was a shotgun just laying there, well of course I reached down and picked it up and got the shock of my life when a skeleton hand came up with the gun, about gave me a heart attack

Was an old guy that had gone out hunting and just disappeared several years before m

And then there was the pot farm I walked into back in the early 80s, god must have been looking out for me that day because when the police raided the place it was loaded with booby traps and I walked in and out without a scratch

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574900
07/16/19 11:07 AM
07/16/19 11:07 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Weirdest thing that happened to me was one day checking traps, I had fastened a Lil Griz by cable to a small ash tree growing alongside a stream. A large boar coon had gotten caught, climbed the ash tree as high as he could to a low crotch in the tree. He fell through the crotch and hung himself. I poked him with a stick to be sure he was dead. I thought that was really bizarre!

The next day when I checked the same trap, I had another boar coon. He had climbed the same tree, fell through the crotch, and hung himself too. My first thought was, didn't I take him out of the trap yesterday? I knew I had and this was another big coon. Both coon were 30+ pounds.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: MikeTraps2] #6574924
07/16/19 12:15 PM
07/16/19 12:15 PM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
Good Lord!!!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574934
07/16/19 12:32 PM
07/16/19 12:32 PM
Illinois
I
I57trapper Offline OP
trapper
I57trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Illinois
Man these are some great stories. Thanks for posting! Hope to see some more if anybody’s got em.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574937
07/16/19 12:42 PM
07/16/19 12:42 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
I was doing some deer hunting on our farm a few years back, and discovered a very old cemetery in the middle of the woods. Most of the stones were crumbling and unreadable, but a couple of the stones I could make out went back to the mid 1800s and early 1900s. One stone that I could barely make out read 1739-1831. Kind of cool and creepy lol.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574938
07/16/19 12:45 PM
07/16/19 12:45 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
It was dark, middle of the night, cold, and almost christmas. I started into the square from the road and thought what is that back there in the woods. I'm half spooky anyway. So I talked myself down and determined it was an optical illusion of some kind and probably was part of the christmas lights on the next road and not really in the middle of the square by the woods flashing like it looked... So i started back in... Kept telling myself no its the lights on the next road. Get back there and sure enough... it was ambers from a camp fire and when the wind kicked up it would glow orange. Not that big of deal except there wasn't anyone there. Which freaked me out. Was it from earlier and they left or did they see me coming with my light and were hiding right here in the woods somewhere. I just got the shivers thinking about it. Being out in the middle of nowhere at night really seems to make around my house seem like nowhere when it isn't really. Some freak nut job hiding behind a tree or something jumping out to get me was always my fear.

On a thread like this years ago someone told a story about going down a two track in the middle of no where literally and having an head lamp on and seeing in time someone crouched down on a tree branch in the fence row off to the side. He chose to ignore the guy and walk past. Then on the way back out he wasn't there anymore. It was already a fear of mine. That story he swore to didn't help none.

I walked up on a car in back a dead end woods path that shouldn't have been there. It was raining and it was wet underneath it. It was a small truck with a cab topper. Gave me the heaby geebys walking past it. I actually called my buddy and told him where I was and kept in on the line until I got in and back out.

Oh I tripped over a headstone in the woods in the middle of the night before that obviously didn't used to be a woods. It was creepy b/c there is that one kind of grass / weed that grows in old places like that. Must be something they used to plant at grave yards. Literally falling over one and being face to face with a head stone like that in the middle of the night jazzed me up pretty good. eeek.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574940
07/16/19 12:46 PM
07/16/19 12:46 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Years ago, I found a small purse in the ditch. Inside it, there was a $10 bill and nothing else. No identification. Several MONTHS later, there was a lost/found ad in the local paper. They described the purse perfectly. When I returned the purse and money to the lady, she said that her daughter had lost it out the window of the school bus. She said that it had a lot of sentimental value to the family. She wanted me to keep the $10 but I refused. I was just happy they got it back.

The odds of me seeing that ad were next to nothing. I typically don’t read the paper much less the lost/found section!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: MikeTraps2] #6574985
07/16/19 02:21 PM
07/16/19 02:21 PM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
Originally Posted by MikeTraps2

Arnold and I have talked about this incident many times since then. We know what we heard. Arnold and I between us have over 60 years of experience in the woods, from southern Virginia swamps to New York mountaintops to Midwest plains; we have been to them all. We firmly agree it was no animal that walks the woods (to many sound variations in a short time), or human (no way a person could make those noises).

So you may ask what it was then. Well we believe it was a demon or other restless spirit, the whole valley is known to be an Indian burial ground. It is rumored to be the Lenni-Lenape royal burial area, but I’m not sure of that. I am sure what I hear and what happened though, and all I can say is if I never hear it again it'll be too soon.

I bet it was a Wendigo

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6574990
07/16/19 02:27 PM
07/16/19 02:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I found a place in the bush littered with old bones. [Linked Image]

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread