No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575022
07/16/19 03:38 PM
07/16/19 03:38 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Not so scary, but I found a huge collection of dirty "men's" magazines and VHS tapes. Kept me busy for months!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575037
07/16/19 04:09 PM
07/16/19 04:09 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Found an abandoned homeless camp in the NF. Snow was covering everything and barely noticed a small corner of tarp sticking out ontop of sage brushes and chola cactus. I reluctantly looked inside it was fully stocked with food clothes backpack etc.... it looked like no one had there for awhile. Few nights later walking back down that line in night and snowing I could hear something following me. I couldn't see anything and running wasn't an option on snow covered decomposed granite boulders and cacti all over.

Found a tree where birds of prey preferred to eat their catches.
Stumbled into an old graveyard, old rotted down cabin.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: adam m] #6575129
07/16/19 07:38 PM
07/16/19 07:38 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
I grew up trapping with my uncle in the mountains of east Tennessee back in the late 60's and 70's and we used to come across the occasional still - only time I would ever see my uncle get nervous in the woods. We came across a guy passed out drunk once on the banks of the Caney Fork in the middle of nowhere and my uncle left a dead possum on his chest. I guess that guy would be the one with the unexplained story. Good times.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: Deerhunter51] #6575138
07/16/19 07:51 PM
07/16/19 07:51 PM
High Mountains of Western NV
Old Triumph Guy Offline
trapper
Old Triumph Guy  Offline
trapper

High Mountains of Western NV
Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
I grew up trapping with my uncle in the mountains of east Tennessee back in the late 60's and 70's and we used to come across the occasional still - only time I would ever see my uncle get nervous in the woods. We came across a guy passed out drunk once on the banks of the Caney Fork in the middle of nowhere and my uncle left a dead possum on his chest. I guess that guy would be the one with the unexplained story. Good times.

Now that's funny...

OTG

Last edited by Old Triumph Guy; 07/16/19 07:57 PM.

343 of my brothers died on 911...I'm still (word not acceptable on Trapperman) off...BIG TIME...
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: Deerhunter51] #6575252
07/16/19 10:00 PM
07/16/19 10:00 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Deerhunter51

I'd like to hear his story, lol!

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575318
07/17/19 12:02 AM
07/17/19 12:02 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Great thread!

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575338
07/17/19 01:34 AM
07/17/19 01:34 AM
Central California
R
Rimrock1 Offline
trapper
Rimrock1  Offline
trapper
R

Central California
Not a trapping tale, but........................

I had sat in my tree stand and listened to elk as they fed just out of my sight. The snapping of branches and the soft cow calls had riveted my attention for the last half hour. As the fed out of hearing I realized that the day was over. Darkness would catch me within minutes and I had almost a mile of forest walk to get back to where I had parked my truck.

I readied my gear and let my bow down on a pull rope. As my feet touched the ground it was dark enough that I had to feel to unhook my bow and shoulder my day pack. There was no trail to follow out. I just headed out through the timber and brush. I had not gone far when I thought I heard something behind me. I stopped and listened. Heard nothing, so I started on. There was that sound again! Once more I stopped. The noise stopped also. Now this was getting spooky. Every time I stopped, the noise would stop, but when I moved the noise seemed to follow me. It was too dark to see anything, so I increased my pace. So did whatever was following me. The timber cleared out a little so I hit a trot for about a hundred yards. Same thing.

Now, I don't consider myself a coward, but for the last couple of hundred yards I turned the heat on. I decided that the cab of my truck would be the best place to be. In spite of falling a couple of times and having multiple scratches and bruises I made it to the truck. I hastily jerked the door open, tossed my bow inside and removed my day pack. As I tossed it in there was something attached. Some way, in my hasted to leave the tree stand, my pull rope had snagged onto my day pack. Thirty feet of rope had followed me for almost a mile, moving when I moved and stopping when I stopped.

Disclaimer: This did not happen to me. I heard that it happened to someone else though. Anyway, it is no more farfetched than some other stories. LOL

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575341
07/17/19 01:47 AM
07/17/19 01:47 AM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Once while trapping, I heard a shrill, wavering cry behind me... after coming back down from my leap into outer space, I turned around to discover, much to my relief, that it was no Alaskan sasquatch, but only my trapping partner. Much annoyed at his scaring me out of my wits, I quickly found great mirth in the fact that he had caught his manhood in a 330 he was trying to set. I forgave him for scaring me so badly, which is rude and immature you must admit. I do not think he has forgiven me for my mature reaction to his predicament, such as my belly laughs, and thigh slapping.

Psalm 34:6
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575343
07/17/19 01:48 AM
07/17/19 01:48 AM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I cannot to this day explain why he would do such a strange thing to himself???

Psalm 34:6
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575345
07/17/19 03:00 AM
07/17/19 03:00 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Not trapping related but reading the other stories got me thinking of this one.

Heard a story about a guy who paddled down the porcupine river one year. I guess the rain really started up one evening and he was getting soaked and really cold. He started smelling camp fire smoke and luckily for him he came upon a cabin where the occupant readily invited him in out of the weather and fed him well. The next day he continued on his way and eventually reached the community of OldCrow Yukon. Some of the locals noticed him pulling in and in their usual fashion went down to welcome him and hear the stories of his river adventure. One of the guys asked how he made out in the rain. He told them about the nice old man who helped him out and went on further to describe the guys nice cabin in detail. This bit of information had the local guys full attention. Once he said the guys name the locals kind of looked at him and each other in disbelief. Turns out the friendly old man had passed away several years before and his cabin and personality fit the paddlers description to a tee.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575354
07/17/19 05:32 AM
07/17/19 05:32 AM
Kiel,Wisconsin
H
Hatchetman Offline
trapper
Hatchetman  Offline
trapper
H

Kiel,Wisconsin
Mike traps2
I say grey fox...

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: FL cracker in AK] #6575371
07/17/19 06:14 AM
07/17/19 06:14 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
When you set a 330 if you decide the spring angle isn't just right while your standing in the creek placing it and you lift your leg to rest it on your thigh to push the springs down (b/c your standing in water and need something to set it on) its easy to have a trap firing near your junk. Don't ask me how I know. Tank god it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: OhioBoy] #6575410
07/17/19 07:49 AM
07/17/19 07:49 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
When you set a 330 if you decide the spring angle isn't just right while your standing in the creek placing it and you lift your leg to rest it on your thigh to push the springs down (b/c your standing in water and need something to set it on) its easy to have a trap firing near your junk. Don't ask me how I know. Tank god it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK

Think I'll stick with dry land trapping now.... that's the scariest story on here

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575566
07/17/19 11:49 AM
07/17/19 11:49 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Not trapping but hunting. It was 1971 I was goin deer hunting when I had vehicle issues and decided to walk. I was about five miles from town it was about eleven pm. I was in some rolling hills and the lights from town would apear and then disappear as I walked. When I was in one of the dips the sky lit up where the town was. When I got to the next rise where I could see the town again there was a white “smoke ring” hanging over the center of town. What was really strange was the size and orientation of the ring . It was approximately three city blocks in diameter and was vertical with the bottom of the ring about three hundred feet above the buildings. I could see if something had blown up on the ground how a smoke ring would be formed but it would be horizontal. I watched as it would dip out of sight as l walked then reappear as I crested the next rise. It took about a half an hour to disapate as the air was calm. Never did figure out what caused it.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575580
07/17/19 12:23 PM
07/17/19 12:23 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I was kneeling along a bushy fencerow making a fox set just below the crest of a hill when I heard footsteps coming at me really fast. I mean thump thump thump pounding towards me from across the little hilltop. I knew it was something on two feet and I was sure someone was running towards me. Got a creepy feeling and stood up just as an ostrich just about ran me over. This was in Iowa in the late 1980's. Not kidding. I later learned there was a farmer raising ostriches about five miles from there. Near as I can figure one of them had gotten out. I didn't tell anyone for a long time because I thought no one would believe me.

Walked under a bridge to check traps and found a motorcycle leaning up against the concrete bridge wall. Called the cops with the license number, sure enough it was stolen. Pretty sure it was a kid who lived nearby who I caught red-handed stealing my traps.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575627
07/17/19 03:03 PM
07/17/19 03:03 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Saw this on another site...(thanks Cpt. Rudy)...

Here is mine...... I was laying in my bunk one night, the only one in camp. I thought I heard this screechy voice saying something but I couldn't quite make out what it was saying. I figured I was hearing things or maybe just the wind that was blowing pretty good. I started to doze off again and I was awakened by the same horrible voice repeating whatever it had said.....I pulled up the covers and made sure the .380 was on the nightstand all the time trying to tell myself it was the wind....I finally fell asleep..... about 4 hours later the voice that I can only describe as a withches voice repeated the same words only louder....I said to myself that's it Im going to confront this THING....I remember walking down the hall then BANG.....I was on the floor.... What had happened was I was having a bad dream, a real NIGHTMARE, then was walking in my sleep and tripped over a chair.......I was dreaming my X wife was at the cabin with me and that hideous voice kept repeating CAN WE GO HOME SOON I HATE THIS PLACE........ Shes gone now, thank the Good Lord. Some other poor guy is listening to that witches voice.

Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575637
07/17/19 03:30 PM
07/17/19 03:30 PM
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Northern Ohio ...
I found a twenty dollar bill once. Layin' there , plain as day, with a rock about the size of a golf ball holding it down.

My name ain't Keith
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575648
07/17/19 03:52 PM
07/17/19 03:52 PM
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Northern Ohio ...
50 years ago we used to hunt deer in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. I was about a half a mile back in, hunting along a little creek called Nuns creek. There were no houses, no nothing in the area, especially off to the north. I heard this very loud buzzing noise on the North side of the creek. A very hard to describe noise. It certainly wasn't a chain saw and it was nothing but an impassible cedar swamp on the other side of the creek. It was an area hard to get to and not an area anybody would just go traipsing around in. Never did figure out what it was, it was just a very loud, distinct noise, in the middle of nothing.

My name ain't Keith
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: I57trapper] #6575716
07/17/19 05:50 PM
07/17/19 05:50 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I was way out in the bush about 50 miles south west of Timmins,about 20 years ago hunting partridge in sept.I looked off the trail a bit and seen about 5 lbs of marijuana drying on a chunk of canvas.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Strange/unexplained stories on the trapline [Re: Boco] #6575735
07/17/19 06:09 PM
07/17/19 06:09 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Originally Posted by Boco
I was way out in the bush about 50 miles south west of Timmins,about 20 years ago hunting partridge in sept.I looked off the trail a bit and seen about 5 lbs of marijuana drying on a chunk of canvas.

He said strange stories. That is fairly common isnt it?? haha.

At least the guys around here dry it in a shed, I guess doing it in the bush is less common.

Last edited by Hutchy; 07/17/19 06:10 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread