No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576291
07/18/19 01:10 PM
07/18/19 01:10 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Cattle are animals.... right. I had about a 1300 lb cow help me up a tree once. I bought 15 head of bred cows from a western Nebraska rancher. Got them home and had them down in a creek pasture. They started calving and I would always tag the calf, vaccinate and ck for horn buttons. One ole cow was a mean ole boss cow. When I chased her away from the calf she stayed pretty close. That old calf let out a a long bellar and that ole cow was on top me in a second... knocked me down once. I got to my feet and she was right on my butt going to bury her head in my backside again. I had a tree branch just a little out of my reach overhead. I kinda jumped hope n to grab that branch and pull my self to safety. The ole cow helped me get up to that branch... and about put me in orbit as she got her head under me. But anyway I was up high and safe!!

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576298
07/18/19 01:22 PM
07/18/19 01:22 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Was charged by a small bear while setting a beaver trap on a dam.I believe he thought I was a beaver as I was hunched over on the dam,just before dark setting the crossover.I heard him splashing along the dam,when I stood up he was about 10 feet from me and put on the brakes and took off.I was ready to give him a skull divot with my Sandvik.
Another time I was hunting bear and had spotted a big one actually coming towards me.He knew I was there because he was downwind of me and was actually stalking me.
His pelt stretched just over 7 feet.
I have been stalked by wolves on many occasions.It is their habit of finding out what you are up to in the bush.They always stay out of sight on the back trail.By circling You can pick up their fresh tracks on your trail.It is then obvious that they are trailing you at a distance.Not uncommon for wolves when there is more than one.Never seen that behaviour by a lone wolf.

Last edited by Boco; 07/18/19 01:23 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: zoozoo400] #6576320
07/18/19 02:20 PM
07/18/19 02:20 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Had an aggressive coon jump at me from the bank. I had about 5 foot of chain on a drag system and he came up about 6 inches short of landing on my chest. He slide down into the water along my waders and I could move back and dispatch him then. Anxious couple of seconds there.
The scariest one for me was while I was working as a herdsmen on a 140 cow dairy farm. We had a sizable lot where we calved the cows in during the summer. There were typically 10-15 cows and springing heifers (Holsteins) in this lot. I would go out and pick up the calf and carry it back to the calf hutch or barn. This one time the dam really got upset and started bellowing , snorting and pawing the ground which riled up the dozen or so cows who all started circling me with tails up, jumping etc.I was wondering why this time they were so upset and when I looked behind the farm German Shepard had followed me into the dry lot They don't have teeth or claws but if they get you on the ground they will crush you with their head and powerful neck so I was reallly worried. I don't know if I did the best thing but I picked the calf up threw it over my shoulders and walked away. They were right on my, close with snot blowing all over me etc., but they did not want to hurt the calf which by now was baahing as well. I only had a couple times when the cows were edgy but this was by far the worst.

Bryce

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576366
07/18/19 04:11 PM
07/18/19 04:11 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Over the years I have been chased by a couple Holstien bulls while coon hunting, got runned over by some steers one night. Learned to shut off light when cattle were chargin. Got followed by a bull moose for a very uncomfortable half hour once.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576371
07/18/19 04:20 PM
07/18/19 04:20 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Snakes , sharks even a big turtle had a go once. Moray eels. To many critters to count and 90% of the time it was my fault.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Scuba1] #6576379
07/18/19 04:37 PM
07/18/19 04:37 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Aside from an agressive young bull elk that wouldn't leave me and my clients side in Yellowstone one night I can only claim having a 90 pound tarpon that jumped into our 16 foot john boat in Costa Rica. You can break a leg pretty easy that way, but we managed to help him out of the boat but broke two rods and spilled my beer in the process.

Pete

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576385
07/18/19 04:45 PM
07/18/19 04:45 PM
alaska
S
spotter Offline
trapper
spotter  Offline
trapper
S

alaska
I’ve been bitten by red tail hawks, great horned owls, screech owls, pet raccoons, parrots, alligator, dog, marten, muskrat, small birds, but thankfully no monkeys.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: bblwi] #6576390
07/18/19 04:51 PM
07/18/19 04:51 PM
Texas
S
SUMROW Offline
trapper
SUMROW  Offline
trapper
S

Texas
Had an old woodpecker in distress tape playing in a cassette player about 40 years ago that my dad and I put in an opening. We backed off about ten yards to watch and had all kinds of animals and birds coming in to see what was happening. Finally a roadrunner came in with its feathers all flared out and in one heck of bad mood. Planted itself on top of the player and didn't leave like the other animals. After five minutes of this we desired to try a different spot. I walked out to collect the player and this very angry roadrunner flew at me with everything it had. I have never had to deal with a faster animal in my life. I would turn to knock him away and he was already someplace else. All I could see was wings and beaks around me. It was like there was a dozen of them around me all at once. Finally I regained enough composure to run back into the brush and left the roadrunner with the tape player. I made my way around the opening back to my dad who was on the ground rolling in laugher with tears going down his cheeks. When he saw me he started to laugh even harder and was holding his side. At this point I stop to look at my arms that were covered in scratches and blood. He said you should see your face and ears. Let me tell I was in the Marines and we would fight with the Sea Bees but I have never encountered anything like that bird before or since!! If I could have crossed him with one of my game cocks I would have had a world champion. I learned not to underestimate a harmless looking creature again. Like the coyote in the old roadrunner cartoons I have a lot of respect for the little guys.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576396
07/18/19 05:12 PM
07/18/19 05:12 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Had a buck sheep hit me from behind one night. sent me into orbit when i hit the ground i seen stars,, i got a 2x4 and was trying to kill him.. i beat him hard as i could.... he never bothered me again.

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576399
07/18/19 05:15 PM
07/18/19 05:15 PM
Pennsylvania
C
coalbank Offline
trapper
coalbank  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Yes several times. I guess the bull would have been the worst. Perhaps a few of the bobcats could be classified as the worst.

Been bit by several of the furbearers, some more than once.

When we raised ranch fox there were a few that always waited for a chance to get ya. Those ones were handled with tongs when needed.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: SUMROW] #6576413
07/18/19 05:33 PM
07/18/19 05:33 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I'm laughing at SUMROW's story.

Eh...wot?

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576415
07/18/19 05:35 PM
07/18/19 05:35 PM
Pa
O
one toe Offline
trapper
one toe  Offline
trapper
O

Pa
Yes! fox. It isn't any fun. If you are agile and lucky enough you can kick them off, but they will circle and come right back in. They don't give up easily. I've seen them do the same circle/repeat attack thing with prey animals.

The best thing to have is a heavy walking stick to swing. A firearm is hard to get out of a holster quick enough. If you do, you are shooting in the vicinity of your feet.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576418
07/18/19 05:38 PM
07/18/19 05:38 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Attacked by 9 dogs working in peoples homes so far. The worst one was a shepherd that grabbed me from behind and bit me through my jeans right into my calf. I have a five inch scar from it. I turned on it and I had gloves on so I tried to grad it's lower jaw when it went for me again. I was going to body slam it and jump on it. It didn't try that again but watched me waiting for a chance to get me again. The people put it away
The worst dogs are ones owned by little old ladies that ''never bite''. I got some small scars from a miniature pincer that became a football.
Got bit by some kind of hound at a house last spring but I had a couple layers of clothes on he only bruised me.

I carry a 9mm pistol. I figured if one got too bad I'm going to be on the news

Been bit by a fox, a coyote- a couple coons. I had to get the rabies shots. Most of the dogs let go and gave me a chance to get even. Coons really are bad. They never quit - you have to kill them

Been chased by cattle several times. I just step aside and let them run passed. It's the one you don't see that drills you like a billy goat that will hurt you

Just passin through
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576419
07/18/19 05:41 PM
07/18/19 05:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Had a buddy that had a lynx in a foothold on a drag,caught by a back foot,It was back in under some evergreen brush and looked to be tangled up good.As he approached it with his snare pole to dispatch it,it leaped about 10 feet and grabbed him by both shoulders with its front feet.He was face to face with the snarling cat,and its free back foot shredded the front of his down filled coat.There was feathers everywhere,I couldn't stop laughing at him.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576420
07/18/19 05:42 PM
07/18/19 05:42 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Prom night count? blush

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576422
07/18/19 05:44 PM
07/18/19 05:44 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Had a wild monkey jump down onto my head in Gibraltar. Sat there while my wife took a photo.

Injured buck deer charged me once, then fell dead.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576445
07/18/19 06:25 PM
07/18/19 06:25 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
Not an attack but a close encounter that I guess could have turned in to one - came across an elk kill hiking in Yellowstone last year and this guy was standing guard over it. Wind was swirly and I didn't even smell it till I was almost on it. I took a quick photo (dumb) and backed out. Probably not the only set of eyes on me and luckily not a bear..

[Linked Image]

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576449
07/18/19 06:31 PM
07/18/19 06:31 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Bull moose grouse hunting.

Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6576452
07/18/19 06:40 PM
07/18/19 06:40 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I going to guess that attacked doesn’t actually mean bitten. Other wise some of y’all folks should be dead already. Or at least missing some appendages!

Last edited by Wanna Be; 07/18/19 06:41 PM.
Re: Have you been attacked by an animal? [Re: Wanna Be] #6576475
07/18/19 07:17 PM
07/18/19 07:17 PM
Northern Virginia
J
Jarhead620 Offline
trapper
Jarhead620  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Virginia
Bit by a Massasauga Rattlesnake in Missouri
Knocked over repeatedly by a buck sheep when I was little
Kicked in the head and knocked out by my 4-H steer
I tried to dry off a new born calf one cold night in Illinois only to have the mother knock me into the manger
Hit several times by snapping turtles
Bit in my big toe through my boot by a grey fox in a trap
Bucked off and kicked by several horses I was trying to break

"Just as the deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer." Aldo Leopold
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread