No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
? Silly question #6577540
07/20/19 08:33 AM
07/20/19 08:33 AM
New York Adirondacks
A
ADKdan Offline OP
trapper
ADKdan  Offline OP
trapper
A

New York Adirondacks
Hi everyone, first of all thank you to all who contribute to this site. Not enough places like this
I am pretty green to trapping, have been looking for a place to run a short fisher / marten line. I Have been looking at maps of some state land nearby. I took a walk ( on the stupid hottest day of the year here). And found the beaver have been working. The land is flat for quit a ways around this little brook so it is a pretty wet sponge of ground farther into the balsam and cedar than I expected i I was hoping to skirt the edge of the swamp in some of I could find some trails My question is how wet should I be looking? The edges of dry ground are steep and probably half a mile from the brook . There are lots of down trees for running they look used but I am not very good at spotting action. Below the dam of course is private land Thanks

3B8332DA-A0CF-4399-AD77-4C3E604484F8.jpeg
Re: ? Silly question [Re: ADKdan] #6577595
07/20/19 10:02 AM
07/20/19 10:02 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Will that water be hard during trapping season? if so will that change the animals behavior?
Seasons change the way animals use the country so much that I find it hard to scout now and believe the animals will still be in the same spots six months from now, although I do believe they will be right there again in twelve months. This time of year any scouting I do would be just see the lay of the land and possible places to come back too in winter. The ridge land state forest near me is full of song birds and grey squirrels right now and so attracts a fair number of predators, but by December will be as barren as a desert. With the leaves off and little under-story there will little cover and no attraction.

Re: ? Silly question [Re: ADKdan] #6577599
07/20/19 10:12 AM
07/20/19 10:12 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I love Cedar swamps for fisher. My own findings are that the Marten and fiusher don't mix very well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread