No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Paul Dobbins and his Dad #6576915
07/19/19 11:13 AM
07/19/19 11:13 AM
Texas
T
Trapper Dan 57 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Dan 57  Offline OP
trapper
T

Texas
While attending the NTA Regional in Alabama I had the pleasure to meet and visit with Paul Dobbins. I mentioned how I enjoyed his father Charles' videos and the down to earth almost one on one way his father shared his knowledge . Paul's face at that very moment lit up with what I would described as an undeniable sons pure pride for his father. As our conversation continued Paul shared how his father was his best friend and the treasured memories they made together. Paul told me how much he misses his father and I could see in his eyes the sincerity of his words. I've always offered my three daughters the opportunity to share in my adventures whenever they wanted to come along. I pray one day my daughters might have a remembrance of me that also lights their face up such as Paul had describing his father.

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577237
07/19/19 08:28 PM
07/19/19 08:28 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Seen that same look in paul's eys's myself, his dad was something else. Soooooooooo thankful I got to meet him a couple of times, he forever changed how I trap, I quit chasing after the 'secret' lure or set and started trying to figure out what was going on in an individual animals head when id run into problems with one. He told me the animal will show you where he wants to get caught if you just pay attention. That has been true more times than not but sometimes I guess im just too dumb to see where the animal is wanting me to catch him at, lol.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577303
07/19/19 09:42 PM
07/19/19 09:42 PM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline
trapper
PaulB  Offline
trapper
P

Iowa
I can relate to this,,my dad always had time to take me fishing and hunting,,he had no experience in trapping but took a sincer interest in my trapping,,,a day does not go by I don’t think of him and all our times together,,,miss you dad,,and mom,,

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577344
07/19/19 10:33 PM
07/19/19 10:33 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
The first time I meet Charlie was at the PTA CONVENTION in 1982 . I have told the story often to Paul . He had a small metal folding table and was set up in the middle of a row of other vendors in the open sun . It was very hot and as I walked along he called me over to his table . My very first impression was what did this old guy want me to buy . Within about 10 minutes he was explaining trap adjustment ,swivels and types of trap fastenings . I was clear to me he knew more about traps and how to use them than I ever had spent one second of my time thinking about . I had a grand father that was always tinkering with things to make them do the job he needed .And he could like the A TEAM come up with ideas that where so simple and yet so advanced that it seemed like some revelation to me .Jtrapper I am in the same position as you .He changed how I trap .Before I started using his concepts I would set a trap hoping it might catch a critter . After meeting him and later buying several of his book I was setting traps that I knew would catch a certain animal .He always took time to talk to me as the years went by . I was just a small time customer compared to others but he answered any question like I was the most important person in sight . At one point I had discussed taking lessons .I did not follow through with that idea and that is my loss still today When ever he wrote an article for the Predator Caller it would be the first one I would read I always felt like I was walking with him as he went about making sets and checking them as the days went by . Over the past several years I will sit down and talk to Paul for about as long as he will put up with me . I have some health issues that limit what I can do on a daily basis. Paul has allowed me to keep a chair in place at his booth on more than a half dozen conventions over the last 15 or so years . If I am going to a convention I always plan some time to talk to Paul .Paul tells me he is not a writer like his father . But I keep telling him he should put something together . Maybe along the lines of Charlie Dobbins " The Great Teachers" I know I would be buying a copy .maybe someone with more clout than I can convince he to try his had at writing

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577364
07/19/19 10:51 PM
07/19/19 10:51 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
He has wrote some I read and he is selling himself short on not being a writer.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577460
07/20/19 01:51 AM
07/20/19 01:51 AM
Iowa
trapperchris Offline
trapper
trapperchris  Offline
trapper

Iowa
I've said for years I wish Paul or T&PC would publish a book with all his stories in it. I think it was a series he wrote once back in the early or mid 80's and one of the tales was of Paul getting a little wet one day on a beaver dam. There was some good stuff in those early mags! He and Hal are two of my favorite trapping authors.

Just livin' the dream...and paying full price for it!
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577475
07/20/19 05:48 AM
07/20/19 05:48 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Hal sucks.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577563
07/20/19 09:14 AM
07/20/19 09:14 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
I met Charlie first time at Fondulac NTA, Charlie was surronded by trappers intently listening. Cant remember if i bought a ceramic stick fm him or vendor right next to him..... i still have ceramic stick and use it to this day. Last time i saw Charlie was at Minn NTA , didnt realize Charlie was sick and he talked like you were most important person in the world. Wish i had more time to talk to him. Paul your rightly to be proud of your Pa.

RdFx
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577571
07/20/19 09:23 AM
07/20/19 09:23 AM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

. But I keep telling him he should put something together . Maybe along the lines of Charlie Dobbins " The Great Teachers" I know I would be buying a copy .maybe someone with more clout than I can convince he to try his had at writing

Never seen ANYONE convince Paul to do ANYTHING he didn't want to do, dern near as stubborn as that Slim and JC character, lol.

But your right, Charlie talking to you made you feel like you were the most important person he had met all day, lol. First time I ever saw him he was talking to a kid about 10 years old who was asking him question's about 'rat trapping! And thought his booth area was swarmed with people he acted like that kid and his question was the most important question he had ever been asked, lol.

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: trapperchris] #6577593
07/20/19 10:01 AM
07/20/19 10:01 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by trapperchris
I've said for years I wish Paul or T&PC would publish a book with all his stories in it. I think it was a series he wrote once back in the early or mid 80's and one of the tales was of Paul getting a little wet one day on a beaver dam. There was some good stuff in those early mags! He and Hal are two of my favorite trapping authors.

Okay, okay, how about I do another On The Line with Charles Dobbins book with more of dad's stories on his trapline? For those who don't know, On The Line with Charles Dobbins is a book of his trapline stories. They're actually articles about times on his traplines that were published in the Trapper & Predator Caller magazine and others. I have more of his stories I could put in there, and I could put the handful that I had published about my times on my trapline and some about time with dad? Perhaps I could title it On The Line with Charles and Paul Dobbins.

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6577600
07/20/19 10:12 AM
07/20/19 10:12 AM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

GREAT idea!

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Drifter] #6577612
07/20/19 10:26 AM
07/20/19 10:26 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by Drifter
He has wrote some I read and he is selling himself short on not being a writer.

X2!

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6577621
07/20/19 10:40 AM
07/20/19 10:40 AM
Sharp Co. AR
R
RightWayFur Offline
trapper
RightWayFur  Offline
trapper
R

Sharp Co. AR
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

Okay, okay, how about I do another On The Line with Charles Dobbins book with more of dad's stories on his trapline? For those who don't know, On The Line with Charles Dobbins is a book of his trapline stories. They're actually articles about times on his traplines that were published in the Trapper & Predator Caller magazine and others. I have more of his stories I could put in there, and I could put the handful that I had published about my times on my trapline and some about time with dad? Perhaps I could title it On The Line with Charles and Paul Dobbins.

Yes please

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: RightWayFur] #6577640
07/20/19 11:07 AM
07/20/19 11:07 AM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
I have learned more from your Father's books and videos than I would have ever learned stumbling along on my own for my whole life.
He had a gift of writing and speaking that made you feel you were right there next to him.
Anyone who has never seen the video of him and Wayne (Friebersyzer sp) on trap adjustment and modifiacatiom would be well served to watch it.
Love his tales of his early days and his ability to describe them.
Paul, do not sell yourself short as a writer and communicator.

Zim

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6577644
07/20/19 11:18 AM
07/20/19 11:18 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA

So you see I am right .I knew someone with more clout than me could at least get him to thinking about it . The reality is because we live in different times Charlie and Paul have impacted trapping in different ways .Without their willingness to share knowledge and promote and pass on the love of trapping we ;us trappers would likely be more endangered than we already are

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6577653
07/20/19 11:40 AM
07/20/19 11:40 AM
Iowa
trapperchris Offline
trapper
trapperchris  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Sounds like a novel idea laugh
Let us know when its available. We'll all be waiting patiently!!

Just livin' the dream...and paying full price for it!
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6577705
07/20/19 01:17 PM
07/20/19 01:17 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR

or maybe something like "A Little Further Down the Line" etc. Just a thought. Your father was a teacher in an outdoors classroom. Do the project.

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6578195
07/21/19 06:45 AM
07/21/19 06:45 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Writing a book is a huge amount of work. Paul is a busy man.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: Trapper Dan 57] #6578215
07/21/19 07:15 AM
07/21/19 07:15 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
I will buy one can't wait

Re: Paul Dobbins and his Dad [Re: run] #6578217
07/21/19 07:20 AM
07/21/19 07:20 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Originally Posted by run
Writing a book is a huge amount of work. Paul is a busy man.

Yes I would certainly agree with that . My comments where meant in a way to imply that Charlie was very humble about his trapping skills And Paul is also a humble person where ever you mention his impact on trapping through Trapperman .Personally I would love to see more of Charlie's stories in print . But only if Paul would want to do the necessary work to see it happen

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread