No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Pack system question #6577427
07/20/19 12:00 AM
07/20/19 12:00 AM
S E Idaho
J
Jmack Offline OP
trapper
Jmack  Offline OP
trapper
J

S E Idaho
I am in the market for a new hunting pack for an up coming sheep hunt. The 2 packs I am looking at right now are the Alps Extreme Hybrid and the Eberlestock G4 Operator. Hoping someone has ran either of these. I am planning on loading up minimal spiking gear and hiking till I find sheep. A little background on me , I carry a Mystery Ranch fire pack so hauling gear is not new to me and I can get by with very light gear for sleeping on the ground. Been in the fire service going on 15 years now.
My boss has the Operator and is going to bring it to work so I can get my hands on but the Alps no one around here carries them. I am looking for something that I can haul gear plus meat with. Any insight and information I would really appreciate. I am open to other suggestions also .Thanks Jon

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6577468
07/20/19 05:31 AM
07/20/19 05:31 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Can't help with your pack question. I run mystery ranch but know of a lot of guys that go with stone glacier and kifaru etc. Rocsllide is a diy hunting forum that has a lot of good info and feed back. Huge congrats on the tag, post some success pics.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6577507
07/20/19 07:40 AM
07/20/19 07:40 AM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Hey Jon,

You run a black MR fire bag for work and I’m sure you trust it to no end. Why switch that up? They have an entire suite of hunting bags that’d fit your needs. Their Overload Shelf is incredible and this year’s Guide Light Frame is the best on the market. If you end up knocking one down, you’re going to want comfort in the mountains with a heavy load. If that comfort costs you a few more bucks and an extra pound, or two, on an empty pack, so be it. You’ll end up with a pack that’ll last the rest of your lifetime with an excellent warranty. I’ve switched to MR stuff entirely - I even use a RATS on the trapline - and I couldn’t be happier. I can’t even tell you how many hunts I’ve been on with an MR bag and how many pounds of meat I’ve hauled with mine and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Plus, I can assure you they’re made better than any other pack out there, hands down. Sheep hunts are usually once in a lifetime and the two most important pieces of gear you’ll have are your boots and your backpack. Buy a Ranch bag and never look back.

Last edited by DucksandDogs; 07/20/19 07:49 AM.

Lifetime member - ATA, AFTA
Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6577514
07/20/19 07:51 AM
07/20/19 07:51 AM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
Mystery ranch makes great packs, as do Kifaru, SG. But for a sheep hunt, I’d suggest looking at the new Exo pack system. I’ve always like the simplicity of their designs and the layout of their bags. They also usually come in a little lighter than most packs, yet can handle some insane loads. Good packs are like good boots, you gotta find what fits you best, but it’s never an area to go the cheaper route. Buy once, cry once

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6577556
07/20/19 09:00 AM
07/20/19 09:00 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I have been around " Eberlestock G4 Operator" and is a great pack. You wouldn't go wrong with that one. JM2¢

I have older pack frames similar to the one I have posted. For me I like to go light as possible when I start to pack out. This one I just bought a few months ago and is under 6 lbs. I have the full packs like you are interested in but my preference is one something on this order. Light my friend is something to keep in mind.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by snowy; 07/20/19 09:17 AM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Pack system question [Re: DucksandDogs] #6577633
07/20/19 10:57 AM
07/20/19 10:57 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by DucksandDogs
Hey Jon,

You run a black MR fire bag for work and I’m sure you trust it to no end. Why switch that up? They have an entire suite of hunting bags that’d fit your needs. Their Overload Shelf is incredible and this year’s Guide Light Frame is the best on the market. If you end up knocking one down, you’re going to want comfort in the mountains with a heavy load. If that comfort costs you a few more bucks and an extra pound, or two, on an empty pack, so be it. You’ll end up with a pack that’ll last the rest of your lifetime with an excellent warranty. I’ve switched to MR stuff entirely - I even use a RATS on the trapline - and I couldn’t be happier. I can’t even tell you how many hunts I’ve been on with an MR bag and how many pounds of meat I’ve hauled with mine and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Plus, I can assure you they’re made better than any other pack out there, hands down. Sheep hunts are usually once in a lifetime and the two most important pieces of gear you’ll have are your boots and your backpack. Buy a Ranch bag and never look back.

Good post! If you like the frame your using maybe just buy a new bag to that fits your needs and rock on.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6577752
07/20/19 02:28 PM
07/20/19 02:28 PM
Nebraska
Cougarw Offline
trapper
Cougarw  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I too was looking for a good pack for an upcoming moose hunt. I already have an eberly “just one” pack, but needed a frame pack also. My friend in AK who has tried everything and hunts everything recommended a Barney pack. I will find out next month how it works.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Re: Pack system question [Re: Cougarw] #6577779
07/20/19 03:16 PM
07/20/19 03:16 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Originally Posted by Cougarw
I too was looking for a good pack for an upcoming moose hunt. I already have an eberly “just one” pack, but needed a frame pack also. My friend in AK who has tried everything and hunts everything recommended a Barney pack. I will find out next month how it works.

Lots of folks in Alaska swear by Barney’s packs and rightfully so. They’re great bags and have worked up here forever. I used to run one, as well. That is, until I discovered Mystery Ranch. I’ve carried loads to the max of my capabilities without the MR pack so much as buckling. People up here seem to think you NEED the metal external frame. The reality is that your body can’t handle more weight than a Ranch bag can; but, you get the added bonus of the Overload Shelf which allows you to carry an entire load of meat without it touching any of your gear.

The owner of MR basically revolutionized modern load carriage and distribution. The amount of work that goes into each of those bags is absolutely insane.

Again, a Barney’s pack is a great pack and I hunted from a Pinnacle for a long time. I’ll likely never use one again, however, because of how good MR bags are.

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578093
07/20/19 11:10 PM
07/20/19 11:10 PM
S E Idaho
J
Jmack Offline OP
trapper
Jmack  Offline OP
trapper
J

S E Idaho
Thanks everyone, I am rethinking the previous two now and looking at the MR mule pack. Checked on the MR website and they are sold out so found them on optics planet. Going to look at a few more sights and see what I can find. Jon

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6579486
07/23/19 08:16 AM
07/23/19 08:16 AM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
The Mule is a killer pack. Don’t rule out the Marshall, either. It’s heavier than most; but you’d be amazed with what you can carry in it. Plus, those torpedo pockets are perfect for a spotter and tripod which you’ll be reaching for quite often on a sheep hunt!

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6579501
07/23/19 08:28 AM
07/23/19 08:28 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
The new Mystery Ranch Guide Lite MR frame has some good upgrades over the older frame, I would look at the sawtooth 45. The mule is a pretty small pack.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread