No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578552
07/21/19 04:35 PM
07/21/19 04:35 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
The biggest excuse I hear for not joining and/or not being involved on a state or national level revolves around a personality conflict with someone who is involved. Preservation of our traditions and trapping rights should come before personality.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Cathouse Jim] #6578553
07/21/19 04:36 PM
07/21/19 04:36 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I am just referencing the numbers for the NTA that were in the last membership report I saw which was either late 2018 or early 2019. My FTA figures are from information I heard when attending some of the meetings at the 2018 national at Marshfield. I am sure that if you contacted the offices you could get an updated membership number.

Bryce

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: rpmartin] #6578554
07/21/19 04:43 PM
07/21/19 04:43 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by rpmartin
No shortage of people with sorry excuses why they won't or can't join an organization. Some are just down right pathetic, the excuses and people.

That ought to motivate them to join our associations

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578563
07/21/19 05:09 PM
07/21/19 05:09 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
I am a member of a major conservation group . One year we had a booth set up at an outdoor show . A man came walking up the aisle .The first thing he said was" If I sign up what do I get ". I looked at him and said" The right question is If you sign up what do you have to offer" Later another said "If I join does that mean I get to find new places to hunt" We all have things to do and we all have certain skills to offer . The first part is to offer the skill you have .Paying for a membership and getting a sticker for your window is a start But doing some thing is not always easy You can count on one thing ; when the antis are sending out their lies and misinformation about trapping people are writing checks

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Yes sir] #6578574
07/21/19 05:25 PM
07/21/19 05:25 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by rpmartin
No shortage of people with sorry excuses why they won't or can't join an organization. Some are just down right pathetic, the excuses and people.

That ought to motivate them to join our associations

I'll let you give out the hugs

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578678
07/21/19 09:27 PM
07/21/19 09:27 PM
Utah
L
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper
Lockjaw52  Offline
trapper
L

Utah
You nailed it C Fowler. The first to complain when we lose our privileges are those that done nothing to try preserve them.

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Nittany Lion] #6578699
07/21/19 09:53 PM
07/21/19 09:53 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
It would be interesting to note what percentage of the T-Man family belong to a state or national trappers association. It would also be interesting to note why they do not belong.

That would be interesting. Hopefully most belong. If they don't, they probably wouldn't admit to it. Maybe they'll join after reading this thread.

Last edited by AJE; 07/21/19 09:54 PM.
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Cathouse Jim] #6578704
07/21/19 10:05 PM
07/21/19 10:05 PM
Montana
B
B. Shope Offline
trapper
B. Shope  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
Here are some numbers for you -

The year of 2018 5,212 trapping license was sold in Montana

Current Montana Trappers Association membership 833

Out of that membership number 133 are out of state members supporting the association (thank you guys)

National Trappers Association members in Montana 237

Montana Trappers Association defeated 12 bills brought to legislation so far this year that pertains to trapping or wolves.

Cathouse I wonder how many of those licenses are houndsman?

The Green Eyed Trapper
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: B. Shope] #6578720
07/21/19 10:34 PM
07/21/19 10:34 PM
Churchville, NY
B
Bob Samuelson Offline
trapper
Bob Samuelson  Offline
trapper
B

Churchville, NY
NY has around 10,000 licensed Trappers. Including Lifetime members, total membership is right around 1,400. Of those 1,400, there is a core group of about 25 or 30 that do all the work! When asked why they don’t belong, the usual answer is “What do I get for being a member?” Numbers count, folks! When a bill comes up for a vote, some politicians look at member numbers before deciding how to vote! Joining is easy! Benefits are immense when you consider the representation you get before politicians! Dues and conventions are the main sources of income. Without income, we cannot fight for our heritage! Please, join your state association. Joining the NTA & FTA in addition would be a bonus!

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Bob Samuelson] #6578738
07/21/19 10:59 PM
07/21/19 10:59 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Bob Samuelson
NY has around 10,000 licensed Trappers. Including Lifetime members, total membership is right around 1,400. Of those 1,400, there is a core group of about 25 or 30 that do all the work! When asked why they don’t belong, the usual answer is “What do I get for being a member?” Numbers count, folks! When a bill comes up for a vote, some politicians look at member numbers before deciding how to vote! Joining is easy! Benefits are immense when you consider the representation you get before politicians! Dues and conventions are the main sources of income. Without income, we cannot fight for our heritage! Please, join your state association. Joining the NTA & FTA in addition would be a bonus!

PM sent.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578803
07/22/19 12:44 AM
07/22/19 12:44 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
Unfortunately it seems to me adversity is what gets people to join. Here in WA we are a step away from losing it all and trappers know it so we have a pretty good percentage of trappers are members. We are steady at around 60% of trappers as members of the State Association.
Even at that it takes constant reminders. People think they are members no matter how long ago there membership has expired. It takes a lot of reminders.

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578893
07/22/19 08:43 AM
07/22/19 08:43 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
One of the reasons I heard over the years by some here on T-man they don’t belong is they do not like the bad politics of their state or national organization. That’s fine, but I would like to know specifics about what they feel is wrong. If word gets out of something that isn’t right maybe it can be corrected if enough of us know about it.

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6578900
07/22/19 08:54 AM
07/22/19 08:54 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
One of the reasons I heard over the years by some here on T-man they don’t belong is they do not like the bad politics of their state or national organization. That’s fine, but I would like to know specifics about what they feel is wrong. If word gets out of something that isn’t right maybe it can be corrected if enough of us know about it.

Rather than wait on someone's "opinion", attend meetings, get to know people, be involved, and form your own opinion. That'd be my advise to anyone sitting on the sidelines.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Bob Samuelson] #6578966
07/22/19 11:04 AM
07/22/19 11:04 AM
Little Valley, NY
Sawmill Creek Offline
trapper
Sawmill Creek  Offline
trapper

Little Valley, NY
Originally Posted by Bob Samuelson

Data released from the DEC shows 14,061 sold for 2017 & 13,223 for 2018

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6578979
07/22/19 11:45 AM
07/22/19 11:45 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Using inside political problems or negative personalities as an excuse not to join is ridiculous.Over the years there's been a lot of dissent about this person,or that person,or how things were handled that not everybody agreed with.When Don Hoyt was ousted as president in the late 80's is a good example.I still have no idea what that was all about,the information about the situation was pretty vague.But I didn't quit over it!The big picture is whats important,not the petty squabbling over policies.Unfortunatley, the same excuses used then are used today.And when the Anti's target became the international market,I heard wayyy to many people here say,big deal,I'll just find another market.Yeah,like the mountain man circuit is going to sustain this industry.There is no other markets to speak of,and look at what New York,and California are trying to do to any industry that involves fur.Join up and stand and fight,or lose it all.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6579006
07/22/19 12:39 PM
07/22/19 12:39 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Our society has lost the sense of community and most organizations are following suit. It is easier to do ones own thing and complain about those who make choices and decisions than to step up and be part of the process.
If we have not noticed the culture is rapidly becoming urban and suburb and the culture of urban life is much different than rural life. If we that live and work and recreate in rural areas are unwilling to step up then we are in the back of our mind saying this is a losing battle but I will do it my way and feel bitter about it until it is gone or I am gone. We make a living and enjoy nature which is thousands of years in the making at the least, yet most of us can't see past the next fur season, good, bad or ugly.

Bryce

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6579037
07/22/19 01:20 PM
07/22/19 01:20 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
Here we have a game commission thats not favorable , a govenor thats the same and a very progressive leglislative branch still can't seem to motivate people, even some of the ranchers will still support the very people that will make their life difficult?!! If you think you want to trap a cougar in NM now will be the year to try.

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: Pad Catch] #6579124
07/22/19 03:54 PM
07/22/19 03:54 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Numbers I found a few years ago indicated ~10%+ of licensed trappers belonged to state clubs and ~1-3% were active participants. As said above the 10% of the 10%. Numbers vary of course with the fur market and by state and those that belong to national clubs may or may not belong to the state clubs.
If the trappers organizations were organized around political action rather than around vendor sales would more people support them? It's a question I have wondered about. Rendezvous was even in the days of the Rocky Mountain Co. a time and place for suppliers to meet trappers and take away their fur money in exchange for goods; never did and never will have any effect on the rights of trappers to trap.
Most trapper organizations are set up as non profits that cannot be involved with or interfere in politics in a meaningful way. Most are also set up around the core 1% and their locations, which is reasonable, but in a large state it means most trappers are remote from most TA meetings; a reorganization of state clubs into active regional cells within the state might raise interest.
Membership in and of itself is just money tossed away, of no real benefit to either the club nor the unseen/unheard member. Members need involvement at a local level to see the "what's in it for me" that every single one wants to know.
Clubs need to be Unions. Each Union needs some paid employees to keep the ball moving while all the members live life.

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: tjm] #6579146
07/22/19 05:05 PM
07/22/19 05:05 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Here in WI as in several other states we have 11 districts within our state WTA. We have an elected official from each district as a BOD rep and we have 4 general elected officers.
I am not sure of our WTA membership at this time bu I am guessing right around 2,000 give or take. The districts vary a lot in how active they are in organizing, fund raising and supporting the state. As has been stated above much of the work in each of these districts and the state level is done by a handful of members and that is over many years not just a one shot deal.
A person can really have a lot of voice if one chooses to get involved. Many times one can be elected to be a director with a handful of votes and one can impact an organization a lot good, bad or ugly.
Sometimes it gets frustrating but one has to also realize that many join an organization and donate funds to help support trapping and it is the responsibility of active members to honor those members as well.
WI is not a large state but we have a lot of habitat, geographic, species and temperature ranges that impact trappers and trapping significantly. I can only imagine the ranges for some very large states with huge changes in moisture, species, temperature and altitude. One has to always remember what one is striving for instead of constantly getting hung up by all the road blocks.

Bryce

Re: Trapping Organization Membership [Re: tjm] #6579157
07/22/19 05:33 PM
07/22/19 05:33 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by tjm

Most trapper organizations are set up as non profits that cannot be involved with or interfere in politics in a meaningful way.\

That's not true. Many trappers groups are 501c6 which allow for lobbying. Even a C3 can lobby in some capacity.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread