No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Carrying [Re: adam m] #6578749
07/21/19 11:15 PM
07/21/19 11:15 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Originally Posted by adam m
Get what your comfortable carrying and concealing.
With ammo being available in various types like hydrashock hp's etc...stopping power is a more equal playing field these days.

I carry a Shield .45 I'm thin so at times it prints. I'm going to look into 9 mm's soon. I didn't take my ccw course with a revolver so I can't ccw one. I really like Canik's but it's a large frame.

I loved my Sticky holster but once my gun became unholstered during a confrontation I hated it. Now I use a locally made kydex holster.

Adam, likely a dumb question but are you saying you need to qualify with a specific weapon for a permit? That makes no sense to me, but neither do a bunch of other things that folks seem to read into the 2nd. Amendment.

Re: Carrying [Re: white17] #6578751
07/21/19 11:17 PM
07/21/19 11:17 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by loosegoose
I know a guy that got robbed while using the toilet in a public restroom. He was sitting on the throne dropping a deuce and a gun comes over the top of the stall and the guy says give me your wallet. He gave him the wallet there wasn't much choice, and it's easier than getting shot. Not much cover to hide behind in a toilet stall.

I disagree. no one can see OVER that door to see what you are doing or where you are !! Shoot right through that stall door ! That's where the 45 ACP shines

You'd probably shoot and hit the guy but you've got an awful good chance of getting shot yourself if that guy pulls the trigger. Seems to me it's a lot easier to give the guy your wallet and not get shot. Look at his shoes and remember them and call the cops and point the guy out. To each his own though, it's your own life you're risking. Not a lot of room to hide in a 2 foot wide stall.

Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578754
07/21/19 11:18 PM
07/21/19 11:18 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Some states are like that . Gotta qualify with the weapon that is listed on your license. Crazy !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578756
07/21/19 11:21 PM
07/21/19 11:21 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
Glock 43x. IWB holster.

Re: Carrying [Re: loosegoose] #6578764
07/21/19 11:27 PM
07/21/19 11:27 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
About the last thing I will do in my life will be to look at a guys shoes so I can describe them to a policeman.
Likely will be a little set to before that.

Zim

Re: Carrying [Re: loosegoose] #6578772
07/21/19 11:37 PM
07/21/19 11:37 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

I disagree. no one can see OVER that door to see what you are doing or where you are !! Shoot right through that stall door ! That's where the 45 ACP shines

You'd probably shoot and hit the guy but you've got an awful good chance of getting shot yourself if that guy pulls the trigger. Seems to me it's a lot easier to give the guy your wallet and not get shot. Look at his shoes and remember them and call the cops and point the guy out. To each his own though, it's your own life you're risking. Not a lot of room to hide in a 2 foot wide stall.

LOL I'll take that chance !! Been shot twice before ~ I doubt they'll get me over the Stall door !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Carrying [Re: white17] #6578774
07/21/19 11:38 PM
07/21/19 11:38 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Some states are like that . Gotta qualify with the weapon that is listed on your license. Crazy !!

I've heard of that being true for some LEO agencies.

Re: Carrying [Re: white17] #6578776
07/21/19 11:40 PM
07/21/19 11:40 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI

So, if you qualify (I hate that word) with your 1911 and then decide to carry your Smith and Wesson 617 while trapping you would be in violation?

Zim

Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578779
07/21/19 11:51 PM
07/21/19 11:51 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I don't think so. I believe that if you qualify with a more complex weapon you will be fine dropping down to a revolver,

BUT.........that is just my opinion

Mean As Nails
Re: Carrying [Re: white17] #6578809
07/22/19 01:08 AM
07/22/19 01:08 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I know a guy that got robbed while using the toilet in a public restroom. He was sitting on the throne dropping a deuce and a gun comes over the top of the stall and the guy says give me your wallet. He gave him the wallet there wasn't much choice, and it's easier than getting shot. Not much cover to hide behind in a toilet stall.

Exactly !

Re: Carrying [Re: Zim] #6578826
07/22/19 05:41 AM
07/22/19 05:41 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Zim
White, I would like to take their class, looks outstanding. Is that one a days drive or so from you?

Zim grin

There a couple of larger gun shops that offer some type of training for concealed carry but I have not researched it much.

Thanks for all the great informative responses.

Re: Carrying [Re: white17] #6578829
07/22/19 05:49 AM
07/22/19 05:49 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
White17: LOL I'll take that chance !! Been shot twice before ~ I doubt they'll get me over the Stall door !!

Good Lord White, did you get shot while serving in a war or as a citizen? Glad you made it. Alaska must be even rougher than I thought, and it seems pretty rough to me from what I have heard and read.

Mac

Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578934
07/22/19 09:57 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yeah it was in Vietnam........but I was a citizen then too laugh

Mean As Nails
Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578936
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I have two carry pistols now

1 - KelTec P3AT - pocket sized .380 ACP with a little pocket clip like would be on the side of a pocket knife. The entire gun fits inside waistband and only the little pocket clip goes outside the waistband. A belt covers all but the tip of the pocket clip. So, I can carry this IWB with a dress shirt tucked in and it is completely concealed yet easy to draw. I hate shooting this little gun and don't think I could accurate hit anything further than about 6' away. But the little thing is so easy to carry and conceal that this is what I have with me most of the time.

2. CZ 75D PCR - compact 9mm double stack - 16 round capacity. I can carry this IWB but will usually carry it outside waistband when I have an un-tucked shirt or coat/jacket on. I'd much rather have this gun with me if there's trouble but it's not easy to conceal in dress clothes - so it doesn't come along as often. I mainly carry it OWB when I'm outdoors or wearing casual clothes. This is a good looking gun and a pleasure to own and shoot. I much prefer this over the striker fired guns.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578937
07/22/19 10:10 AM
07/22/19 10:10 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Springfield XDS .45 16 rounds, shooting twice is silly.

Re: Carrying [Re: Zim] #6578942
07/22/19 10:16 AM
07/22/19 10:16 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Zim

So, if you qualify (I hate that word) with your 1911 and then decide to carry your Smith and Wesson 617 while trapping you would be in violation?

Zim

depends on the state some the make model and sn# of your 5 guns you can carry are on your permit I have heard of this for CA. north CA where you can actually get a permit.

most states I have heard of like TX if you qualify with an auto you can use a auto or a revolver but if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. TX may have changed this now but that was how it was in the past a few other states have the same type of qualification.

WIs with no live fire and WI hunters ed is very easy to get a CCL. my wife has one just encase I leave a gun in the truck and she drives it. cheap insurance and if she ever decides she wants to carry she can but she chooses not to.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Carrying [Re: Zim] #6578967
07/22/19 11:07 AM
07/22/19 11:07 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Zim
Originally Posted by adam m
Get what your comfortable carrying and concealing.
With ammo being available in various types like hydrashock hp's etc...stopping power is a more equal playing field these days.

I carry a Shield .45 I'm thin so at times it prints. I'm going to look into 9 mm's soon. I didn't take my ccw course with a revolver so I can't ccw one. I really like Canik's but it's a large frame.

I loved my Sticky holster but once my gun became unholstered during a confrontation I hated it. Now I use a locally made kydex holster.

Adam, likely a dumb question but are you saying you need to qualify with a specific weapon for a permit? That makes no sense to me, but neither do a bunch of other things that folks seem to read into the 2nd. Amendment.

Zim, not a dumb question at all. Yes there's caliber specific weapon specific qualifications. Here you can carry for any caliber and under in the platform you did the course with. You can qualify with both revolver and semi automatic during the course and no additional fee.
Examples: I qualified with a semi automatic. 45 which allows me to carry any caliber in semi automatic. I've seen people qualify with 9mm semi automatic 9mm so they can carry 9mm and under in semi automatic. I often help my buddy with his ccw class on range day & I have even offered his students to qualify with my .45 so they can carry any caliber, but some refuse.

A guy in my ccw class offered me to use his snubnose rhino .357 but I didn't think I would want to carry a revolver now I regret it but still can add it in the future with an additional fee.

It's dumb that there's caliber and platform restrictions (sort of) and we can only ccw 1 pistol at a time outside of the vehicle and that ccw gun must be in compliance of which your license is valid for. If I decided to ccw a revolver I could be charged with unlawful possession of a gun.
Here's the backside of my license

[Linked Image]

Last edited by adam m; 07/22/19 11:25 AM. Reason: Photo & text
Re: Carrying [Re: Kart29] #6578974
07/22/19 11:28 AM
07/22/19 11:28 AM
Michigan
D
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper
Ditchdiver  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Originally Posted by Kart29

2. CZ 75D PCR - compact 9mm double stack - 16 round capacity. I can carry this IWB but will usually carry it outside waistband when I have an un-tucked shirt or coat/jacket on. I'd much rather have this gun with me if there's trouble but it's not easy to conceal in dress clothes - so it doesn't come along as often. I mainly carry it OWB when I'm outdoors or wearing casual clothes. This is a good looking gun and a pleasure to own and shoot. I much prefer this over the striker fired guns.

Good to see another CZ fan! I love my P07. If I'm not mistaken, the PCR is NOT a polymer pistol, correct?
I'm with you on the striker fired guns, I don't own one and don't really care to. I started on revolvers, so the exposed hammer sa/da is what I prefer. With a decocker, not a manual safety. If you are in the market for a good iwb holster for it, I HIGHLY recommend the Protos-m from Black Arch holsters. Notice in the last picture how the kydex wraps around the entire trigger guard. This makes it safer, better retention (that won't loosen up over time) and makes for easier/faster reholstering. It is extremely comfortable to wear, has breathability and is very well made. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When life gets me down..... you know hunting/trapping season is closed.
Re: Carrying [Re: Mac] #6578975
07/22/19 11:38 AM
07/22/19 11:38 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
@Adam M you and your friend could keep a 45 with bullseye loads , very light and a 45 revolver and have everyone qualify with the light target loads and have an everything license. charge just for ammunition.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Carrying [Re: Kart29] #6578976
07/22/19 11:40 AM
07/22/19 11:40 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Kart29
I have two carry pistols now

1 - KelTec P3AT - pocket sized .380 ACP with a little pocket clip like would be on the side of a pocket knife. The entire gun fits inside waistband and only the little pocket clip goes outside the waistband. A belt covers all but the tip of the pocket clip. So, I can carry this IWB with a dress shirt tucked in and it is completely concealed yet easy to draw. I hate shooting this little gun and don't think I could accurate hit anything further than about 6' away. But the little thing is so easy to carry and conceal that this is what I have with me most of the time.

Thanks. This past week I had to wear a few suits for my uncle's funeral services and realized I needed a smaller pistol because carrying a shield 45 iwb with a dress shirt is a pain. With temps around 100° the jacket had to come off. So it was either show my gun to everyone or figure something else out. I'll look into the keltec.
Wearing a suit and carrying in fall- early spring isn't bad since the temps are much cooler and the jacket can stay on but in the dead of summer is another story.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread