No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Cabin rental #6579064
07/22/19 02:24 PM
07/22/19 02:24 PM
Southern Indiana
C
coonbeaverrat Offline OP
trapper
coonbeaverrat  Offline OP
trapper
C

Southern Indiana
I am looking for a place in to rent for 1- 2 weeks this winter. Three of us want to go to the NE Nebraska, South Dakota, Eastern Wyoming area and rent a remote cabin this winter. We want to Trap and hunt antelope and/or deer. We are not looking for trophy animals we just want the experience of hunting out in the plains. If you know of a place that has some streams or rivers and maybe the land owners want some critters cleared out let me know. We are not want to infringe on anybody else so access to private property would be great.
Maybe such a place is too good to be true but if you have any ideas let me know. Thanks

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579088
07/22/19 02:57 PM
07/22/19 02:57 PM
Wyoming
H
Hobbs Offline
trapper
Hobbs  Offline
trapper
H

Wyoming
You need to do some research before you ask things like this. Most places you need a tag to hunt things, Wyoming for sure, as well as permits to trap.

It's a trappers life for me
Re: Cabin rental [Re: Hobbs] #6579092
07/22/19 03:04 PM
07/22/19 03:04 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Hobbs
You need to do some research before you ask things like this. Most places you need a tag to hunt things, Wyoming for sure, as well as permits to trap.

And a lot of the big game tags you have to put into a lottery for

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579094
07/22/19 03:07 PM
07/22/19 03:07 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Antelope season and trapping season are a longs ways apart in SD! Should be a lot of cabins to rent in the Blacks Hills.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Cabin rental [Re: Hobbs] #6579174
07/22/19 06:24 PM
07/22/19 06:24 PM
Southern Indiana
C
coonbeaverrat Offline OP
trapper
trapper
C

Southern Indiana
Well aware of that but if I can’t find a place to stay then I won’t need the tags

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579191
07/22/19 06:59 PM
07/22/19 06:59 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Unlike in the east, most big game tags are not valid statewide in the western states. Instead the states are divided into hunt units or areas and quite often a tag is only valid for one particular area. Most big game tags have to be drawn, although there are exceptions. The chances of getting a tag in the draw is dependent on a number of factors including animal populations, how much of the land is public, and other factors that affect the popularity of an area. Most western states have websites with data on the draw results and hunter success rates from the previous year. You can use this data to choose a unit and submit an application the next time the application period opens. Sometimes there are a limited number of tags available over the counter (doe antelope for example) but again the tag will be for a specific unit.

To a person used to hunting whitetail in the east who is wanting to hunt a western state the differences in the way the game laws are structured is more than a bit confusing at first. It appears you have a lot of homework to do but I can tell you that it is worth doing. A western hunt takes a lot of planning that usually starts 6 mo to a yr before the hunt.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579199
07/22/19 07:07 PM
07/22/19 07:07 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
If I were you I would shoot for South Dakota buy a combo whitetail/mulie bow
Tag and hunt the second week of November or so when the trapping season is open.
Lots of public land and you would need to get application in by August 1st this year

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579217
07/22/19 07:19 PM
07/22/19 07:19 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by coonbeaverrat
Well aware of that but if I cant find a place to stay

where have you looked?...….. have you tried www.vrbo.com ? just put in the town and state you want to stay, READ the reviews of places. THEN ask the owner how close it is to ...blah, blah...National Forest or Grassland or State Forest....or where you want to hunt.

ACTUALLY, you should be able to look on the particular VRBO map of the area near the property to see public land.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579218
07/22/19 07:22 PM
07/22/19 07:22 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I think finding a place to stay would be the least of your problems here,CBR.Speaking from somebody who spent a couple of seasons working in South Dakota,and thinking all that extra time I would have on my hands I could spend it hunting.I come from Michigan,where licenses,except for certain game like Bear and Elk,are bought over the counter.And there are basically 2 types of property, private and Gov't,which is open to everyone.I took my T/C Encore and 2 different barrels,one for varmints and one for big game.I saw deer and Antelope every day so didn't think there would be a problem.Then I saw their regulations. All big game is done by drawings.This county got 45 tags for deer,this one got 50,etc.We followed a road one day thinking we were headed for some BLM land and were stopped by some ranchers who had no use for strangers on that road,one said part of their ranch touched the road and they had outbuildings that had things stolen from.They strongly advised us to leave.We didn't argue.Some BLM land showed open to the public on maps but when we went there found cattle grazing on it.I could go on,and if your from these states this might not seem like no big deal but to us it was confusing to beat h$!!,We worked with local ranchers but when asked for some reasons the answers were always vague.All this differs from state to state.The advice you got about doing research was a very good one.Knowing now what I do,I would not want to go blind into different states,cabin or no cabin,tags or no tags.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Cabin rental [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6579221
07/22/19 07:25 PM
07/22/19 07:25 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Some BLM land showed open to the public on maps but when we went there found cattle grazing on it..

of course, becuz ranchers rent that PUBLIC land from us/fed govt, and we can still play on it....hike, hunt, fish, camp, etc. Get ALL the maps you can especially a DeLorme Atlas.

I often deer and elk hunted next to someone's cattle, and I used that to my advantage.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579351
07/22/19 10:31 PM
07/22/19 10:31 PM
Southern Indiana
C
coonbeaverrat Offline OP
trapper
trapper
C

Southern Indiana
I appreciate the input and I will start doing the homework. If you have more suggestions please let me know.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579353
07/22/19 10:39 PM
07/22/19 10:39 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
When it comes to finding a place to hunt and gathering info on tags and drawing, there is a relatively new app out there called goHUNT that could be a useful tool. I believe you can get a 30-day free trial.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579364
07/22/19 11:06 PM
07/22/19 11:06 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
You seem to have a misconception that NE Nebraska, South Dakota, Eastern Wyoming are remote, in they are still in Buffalo Bill Cody days. These Northern Great Plains areas may be "remote" compared to Indiana, but these are not forested areas with cabins on them. They are disappearing grasslands and greater farmlands with Monsanto bio crops.
Northeast Nebraska is not antelope country. South Dakota is so screwed up since Daugaard ran his junta there in mismanaging wildlife that antelope are in recovery. Wyoming is a better situation, but that country is fee hunting as it is a business.

The Black Hills was mentioned, but that has not been remote since Col. Dodge surveyed it, and there are not any goats (antelope) in the hills. Enough have pointed out that you need to apply early, there are fees, and you need to understand the area you are looking at, as it does not match what you are asking. I would also ask you to not take lightly winter in the Great Plains as across the border from where I am, a guy froze to death, and a Mexican froze to death the past years in a blizzard and cold when their vehicles stopped. People have no idea what winter is out here, as our snow is shotgun pellets hailstones driven by 70 mph winds at 60 below temperatures. A few years ago we had a storm here that it went 20 below after an ice storm and we got 2 feet of snow, and we were without power for a week, and we are not remote.

I would suggest that you put out some ads in looking for a nice rancher who has a heated shed, to rent to you, and put up with you. (You are going to find out that people west of the Mississippi do not appreciate how naive people east of the Mississippi are, in having experience with them shooting cattle by "mistake' or blazing away with their long range guns and not figuring out the rancher has a house on the other side of the hill.

Oh and make certain you do not catch the watch dogs in your traps as the ranchers get upset, as do the locals who are beginning to see value in those 50 to 150 dollar yotes out there again, in non locals coming out to recreate.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579473
07/23/19 07:29 AM
07/23/19 07:29 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I would also recommend you join the HuntTalk forum (free). There is a huge amount of info available there on a wide variety of issues affecting hunters, not the least of which is exposure to the mindset and attitudes of those who live in the west.

Re: Cabin rental [Re: run] #6579475
07/23/19 07:44 AM
07/23/19 07:44 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by run
You could always try hunting in Yellowstone. The park rangers will give you a bed once you shot your game.

grin

Re: Cabin rental [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6579512
07/23/19 08:54 AM
07/23/19 08:54 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Pick the place you want to trap and put a want ad in the paper and see if you get any hits, lots of cabins and old farm houses that are empty out West. If your from IN then SD or WY will be as remote as it gets in the lower 48.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread