No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Michigan wolves #6580075
07/24/19 07:12 AM
07/24/19 07:12 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline OP
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline OP
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Well,the USFW attempted to delist the wolf in Michigan for the 10th time.This time it was our own AG that shot them down.I remember when this debacle started hearing spokespeople for the sporting organizations in this state telling us not worry,our DNR will present our case and ...presto,chango,.... scientific wildlife management will win out! What a joke.While I wasn't fooled by the system,having watched what happened in Minnesota over the years, I was surprised by the amount of sportsmen who fell for this.It hasn't helped that our DNR has given a lackluster,timid offense to the situation(when they put it on the ballot some years back trapping was dropped from the harvest methods,they didn't want to offend people).I seriously doubt we will ever see a season in this state,and if we do it'll be because of some federal executive action,and not from our state agencies.Would love to hear from our organizations leaders now,you know,the ones who bought the official DNR line about "scientific wildlife management",completely ignoring the fact that politics plays a huge part in this game.OK.rant over with.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580094
07/24/19 07:47 AM
07/24/19 07:47 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
As long as there's wolves not being managed in the UP Wisconsin will continue to have surplus.

Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin need to come together on this.

Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580129
07/24/19 08:26 AM
07/24/19 08:26 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Feel sorry for you guys up there, having to put up with the wuffs and the turd wildlife agencys! Citiots will never be swayed till they have to personally deal with this crap first hand. I say, import them into the "hoods", then something will get done! Too bad that's not a realistic way of handling it! Easy to love those predators from a distance!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580150
07/24/19 08:58 AM
07/24/19 08:58 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Ballot box biology is a lousy idea.

Maybe your association might get an initiative on the ballot to eliminate wildlife management issues from public voting. Only then can you have any chance at scientific management. We had to resort to that tactic up here to finally drive a stake through the heart of the wolf extremists.

Mean As Nails
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580162
07/24/19 09:15 AM
07/24/19 09:15 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I think Madison, Twin Cities and Detroit need their own wolf packs. Would be a shame if some got trapped nearby and were being transported through the city for relocation and "escaped." Would be a darn shame.

Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580174
07/24/19 09:38 AM
07/24/19 09:38 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Well,the USFW attempted to delist the wolf in Michigan for the 10th time.This time it was our own AG that shot them down.I remember when this debacle started hearing spokespeople for the sporting organizations in this state telling us not worry,our DNR will present our case and ...presto,chango,.... scientific wildlife management will win out! What a joke.While I wasn't fooled by the system,having watched what happened in Minnesota over the years, I was surprised by the amount of sportsmen who fell for this.It hasn't helped that our DNR has given a lackluster,timid offense to the situation(when they put it on the ballot some years back trapping was dropped from the harvest methods,they didn't want to offend people).I seriously doubt we will ever see a season in this state,and if we do it'll be because of some federal executive action,and not from our state agencies.Would love to hear from our organizations leaders now,you know,the ones who bought the official DNR line about "scientific wildlife management",completely ignoring the fact that politics plays a huge part in this game.OK.rant over with.

I agree.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: tlguy] #6580191
07/24/19 10:07 AM
07/24/19 10:07 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tlguy
I think Madison, Twin Cities and Detroit need their own wolf packs. Would be a shame if some got trapped nearby and were being transported through the city for relocation and "escaped." Would be a darn shame.

Drop some off around lake Mendota and make The Beav's day.

I think we would have more success if some wolves escaped around Lansing and Ann Arbor.

Re: Michigan wolves [Re: white17] #6580226
07/24/19 11:17 AM
07/24/19 11:17 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by white17
Ballot box biology is a lousy idea.

Maybe your association might get an initiative on the ballot to eliminate wildlife management issues from public voting. Only then can you have any chance at scientific management. We had to resort to that tactic up here to finally drive a stake through the heart of the wolf extremists.

That is an excellent idea.All 50 states should do this,it would solve a lot of problems and head off future ones.I don't hate our DNR,really,I don't.I just get really frustrated at their stances and then the excuses that follow.Their supposed to be in our corner,but they dance to the political correctness drum.In all the years this has been going on they have never shown or flexed any real muscle to get this issue over with.We had a farmer in this area lose a couple of head of cattle,with a bunch stampeded thru a fence into a swamp a few years back,and the Dept.s response to him and his loss was laughable.Now,we have a liberal governor,who put a liberal activist Attorney General in charge.I look at Game Dept's now as part of what Trump calls the Swamp,and here in Michigan the Swamp is winning.

Last edited by Buck (Zandra); 07/24/19 11:25 AM. Reason: change

Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Pike River] #6580227
07/24/19 11:25 AM
07/24/19 11:25 AM
Michigan
D
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper
Ditchdiver  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by tlguy

Drop some off around lake Mendota and make The Beav's day.

I think we would have more success if some wolves escaped around Lansing and Ann Arbor.
I work (and do a little trapping) in East Lansing. You can go right ahead and drop some wolves off.

When life gets me down..... you know hunting/trapping season is closed.
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580288
07/24/19 02:01 PM
07/24/19 02:01 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Well Buck we have to eliminate the deer worked pretty well in the U.P just have to come up with ways to keep hunters out of the woods no complainers

olden tyred
Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580328
07/24/19 03:14 PM
07/24/19 03:14 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline OP
trapper
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
They keep expanding that "no artificial feeding "zone (unless they give you a permit),and continue to let wolves have the run of the U.P. things will get interesting.I guess I don't hold out much hope because I've spent the greater part of my life working in Gov't positions,I know and see the mindset.Where I live in the U.P. in the banana belt we typically have more deer than further north.Last year they opened up public land along with private land for anterless permits.Then this year they increased by 20% over last the amount of doe permits.Last winter and spring,while they weren't the worse winters on record,weren't the easiest either.I know myself I found a few winterkills,and saw more along the roads and on our property this spring that I'm sure didn't make it.I'm sure the mindset among more than a few in Lansing is that's why the wolves are there,to clean up the winterkill and"the sick,weak,and diseased".

Re: Michigan wolves [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6580487
07/24/19 08:13 PM
07/24/19 08:13 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
just looked at the 9 and 10 news she "pushed back" because delisting would lead to hunting wolves DUH so much for game management in the not so great lakes state

olden tyred
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread