No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Cathouse Jim] #6581364
07/26/19 09:30 AM
07/26/19 09:30 AM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
I sure miss the days of walking in talking to the boss and being at work tomorrow.

Resumes, Credit checks, Social media accounts, Multiple interviews, what a chain yanker anymore.

I hear you Jim... Walk in, ask if their hiring , show them what you can do and start tommrow. If you don't like it ... quit and find another job the next day.
Nowadays it takes weeks to get a job, if not months.

Word to the wise... delete all of your social media accounts. So your potential employers can't discriminate against you for being a trapper or hunter.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581371
07/26/19 09:47 AM
07/26/19 09:47 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
wolfdog - talking to them while you are there anyways is a good plan.
if they aren't available for some reason, call and talk to them.

do not email. unless all your other communication has been email, that is the wrong thing to do.

there is no average time for callbacks- so many circumstances that can change that - but never a bad idea to ask at an interview, when you might expect to hear something.

good luck

Josh
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581377
07/26/19 09:55 AM
07/26/19 09:55 AM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Thanks everyone! Again this whole hiring process is a completely new thing to me. As far as openings I've applied for the last two they posted on the website . I came in a hour early for both of the interviews ( it's just force of habit now ) and they seemed to like that. I have to go up their tomorrow to buy some scratch grain for the bird feeder so I'll see if I can politely ask how my situation is looking.

Hey wolfdog, I did my share of hiring over the years. I'd recommend that you don't put them on the sport with a face to face @ the store. Drop them an email or call them and thank them for the interviews. Then ask when you can expect to hear from them. Also, an hour early is too much. They have things to do and entertaining you is not one of them. Always be on time but don't go in an hour early. I would wait in my vehicle and actually go in about 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Good luck.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 07/26/19 11:24 AM.
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: ebsurveyor] #6581381
07/26/19 10:04 AM
07/26/19 10:04 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
Thanks everyone! Again this whole hiring process is a completely new thing to me. As far as openings I've applied for the last two they posted on the website . I came in a hour early for both of the interviews ( it's just force of habit now ) and they seemed to like that. I have to go up their tomorrow to buy some scratch grain for the bird feeder so I'll see if I can politely ask how my situation is looking.

Hey wolfdog, I did my share of hiring over the years. I'd recommend that you don't put them on the sport with a face to face @ the store. Drop them an email or call them and thank them for the interviews. Then ask when you can expect to hear from them. Also, an hour early is too much. They have things to do and entertaining you is not one of them. Always be on time but don't go in an hour early. I would wain in my vehicle and actually go in about 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Good luck.

This is the advice to follow.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581433
07/26/19 12:50 PM
07/26/19 12:50 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I wouldn't have my job now if I hadn't checked in personally with the guy that interviewed me after not hearing back from them. Some places are just that big of a cluster and need the reminder. Nothing wrong with going and shaking a guys hand and saying you are really interested in working there, that you think you can do good things for them, and wanted to check to see if you were still being considered for the open position or not.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581450
07/26/19 02:29 PM
07/26/19 02:29 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Showing up an hour early is very inconsiderate to the employer. In fact, I'd wonder if you're able to read a clock! As has been said, 5 or 10 minutes early is about right. Even then, you might be waiting until the scheduled time. Regarding follow up contact after an interview, I always appreciate an email. That way, you're not putting them on the spot. It can lead to a very uncomfortable conversation.

Sometimes when there is a significant lag time between interview and job offer, you might be considered qualified but not necessarily the top candidate. The candidates before you might be made an offer but decline for any number of reasons. Or, maybe someone else gets hired and they don't work out after a couple of weeks so the employer moves on to the next best candidate.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581453
07/26/19 02:35 PM
07/26/19 02:35 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
My wife does this and they are probably doing a background check If your good you will probably hear Monday or Tuesday

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581468
07/26/19 03:12 PM
07/26/19 03:12 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Well thanks for all the advice guys. I went in today to buy some feed and one of the managers noticed me at we stared talking. Said the earliest they would be able to hire me is August 25th tired on the bright side harbor freight and lowes just posted two new opening so theirs that smile

And I would have never thought that being too early would be a problem lol,I'll have to keep that in mind

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581484
07/26/19 03:37 PM
07/26/19 03:37 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Why don't you look at what you are good at and then see if there are career paths you can follow. What you are looking at is just a job. You like to weld, what about that kind of work. Better to start a career or training for a career, than spend chunks of time at average everyday jobs. Any unions in miss? Most have apprenticeship training programs.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581644
07/26/19 07:29 PM
07/26/19 07:29 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I think wr Otis might be on to something.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581735
07/26/19 08:52 PM
07/26/19 08:52 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Wr Otis wasn't smart enough to not make big mistakes when he was young.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581753
07/26/19 09:02 PM
07/26/19 09:02 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Good luck Wolfdog. I expect you'll be a great employee.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581831
07/26/19 10:17 PM
07/26/19 10:17 PM
PA
C
cablejohn Offline
trapper
cablejohn  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Good luck Wolfdog! I know where you could get a bunch of good references!

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581877
07/26/19 10:47 PM
07/26/19 10:47 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I have hired many people over several years. The ones that catch my attention are the ones who follow up the interview with a phone call to let me know that they are very interested in the position. If they call "too soon", I tell them so, but I never begrudge them for calling, and will make a note of their enthusiasm. That is hard to find any more. Seems like young people today feel like we owe them everything.

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581890
07/26/19 11:04 PM
07/26/19 11:04 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
I don't believe there is any hard and fast answer; but from personal experience:
  • I have been hired on the spot or within 2days
  • I've been flat out rejected either on the spot or within a couple days.
  • I have been forgotten about until an emergency project came up, and they wanted me on site within the hour.
  • When hiring, I always notify candidates within a week, one way or the other.
  • I've been told "sorry but we'll keep your resume on file for the next project" which, of course, is non-existent

My recommendation:
Keep looking. You're in charge; not them.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581894
07/26/19 11:15 PM
07/26/19 11:15 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I have hired many people over several years. The ones that catch my attention are the ones who follow up the interview with a phone call to let me know that they are very interested in the position. If they call "too soon", I tell them so, but I never begrudge them for calling, and will make a note of their enthusiasm. That is hard to find any more. Seems like young people today feel like we owe them everything.

Young being defined as anyone under 60 or so? All kidding aside, you’re right. Along with others.

So for the folks out there with "regular " jobs about how long does it usually take after your interview to get a call back ? I'm trying to get a job at tractor supply and I've had two interviews already ( one with both managers ) and they seemed to think I'd be a good fit . But it's been about four days now and haven't got a email or call back. Is it normal to have to wait about a week or so ? Or would it just be a good idea to pop in and ask about my situation?

Hope this don't seem like a stupid question lol. Every job I've had has just been stuff like hay bailing or working with my uncle so this is a new thing for me lol.
Thanks !
God Bless !

Wolfdog, it isn’t a stupid question. You are a driven individual who seems to have it put together. Four days isn’t long! I waited about 4 weeks before I heard from the hiring manager about the position I’m in now. (Same employer so I knew it would be a wait) Seems like today with everyone worried about breaking a policy you need to have a sign off from five different people. Maybe somebody is on vacation.

I would send an email or phone call thanking them for the interview and stating that you look forward to hearing back from them. Like 52Carl said.

Good luck Wolfdog!

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: T-Rex] #6581895
07/26/19 11:16 PM
07/26/19 11:16 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by T-Rex
My recommendation:
Keep looking. You're in charge; not them.

A very good recommendation. To many people quit looking when they think a company is going to hire them. People that take better jobs as they can, earn much more over their lives than people who stay at one job.

Keith

Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6581906
07/26/19 11:30 PM
07/26/19 11:30 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
This is a very basic question that evidently doesn't always come up in the interview, So, I think towards the end of an interview, it would make sense to flat out ask the question:
" When do you think you might be ready to make a hiring decision?"

Phrased something like that it can be inferred as: "Poop or get off the pot! I've got other bases to cover"

I don't mean to imply that you should sound or come off as arrogant. Just let them know you find their company attractive; but, not without competition.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Job interview to call back average time??? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6582039
07/27/19 08:40 AM
07/27/19 08:40 AM
pa
C
cyaukeyy Offline
trapper
cyaukeyy  Offline
trapper
C

pa
An hour early is usually to early. However, sometimes it works too everyone's advantage. If it doesn't suit my schedule to meet an hour early, you will sit and wait. My days are planned in advance and there are due dates to meet and those people are paying me. We're hiring. Good pay and benefits. Full time with OT only.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread