Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Rivets and repairs #6576344
07/18/19 03:11 PM
07/18/19 03:11 PM
user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
martenpine Offline OP
trapper
martenpine  Offline OP
trapper

user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
I have a newhouse 14 that I need to repin a jaw to the post. I’ve never made this repair. What type of rivets are used? Are they hand peened or is there a tool? While on the subject what about rivets used for pan replacement? Sizes, material, sources to purchase?

Thanks MP

When there is shot in the air, there is hope.
When in doubt, throttle out!
ATA, NTA, NATCA, ITA
Re: Rivets and repairs [Re: martenpine] #6582920
07/28/19 11:39 AM
07/28/19 11:39 AM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
I see no one is jumping right in to give you some answers.. So what I say here is just opinion and what has worked for me....
Some jawpost and panpost pins were actual rivets and some were just round stock peened on both sides..
If you pay a little attention to detail it isn't hard to make a pin to match. Find the right size round stock to fit snug in the post (not jaw or pan), Form one end in a vise with a small hammer, Cut to length (tricky part), assemble and peen the other end to match existing pin.. When done right it will not spin in the post and will closely match the original....

I pick up actual rivets if I come across some that I think may work. But usually it is make one from scratch..
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector