No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Catching walleye in small lakes #6585228
07/31/19 05:37 PM
07/31/19 05:37 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I’ve never caught a walleye on purpose in my life, the few I have caught were on accident while crappie fishing. The small lake I mostly fish has a few walleye in it that were stocked. Any tips? It’s a really weedy lake without much structure

Last edited by BullOx; 07/31/19 05:37 PM.

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585251
07/31/19 06:27 PM
07/31/19 06:27 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Walleyes live in the weeds when it's the primary structure. Vertical jig in the pockets and you'll catch about everything that lives in the lake.

Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585252
07/31/19 06:28 PM
07/31/19 06:28 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Best is to fish before weeds are present(winter) or early spring before they grow. Otherwise fish edges of weed line with smaller spinners baits with soft bodies on them instead of rubber skirts like bass fishing. If deeper weed beds have a submerged level troll lure or spinners just over the tops. Active walleyes with come up out of the weed tops. If they are down in the weeds(hot days when they want the shade and O2 anchor and straight line drop shot live bait down into the more open weeds with a #6 or #8 fine weedless hook(use a stiff rod to set the weedless hooks). Weeds and walleyes are more common than most know but they require finesse to separate the two without losing patience. Learn the kind/s of weeds in your lake as they often have different life cycles.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585278
07/31/19 06:58 PM
07/31/19 06:58 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If in summer,find the deepest spot in the lake(often near an outlet) and drop a marabou jig tipped with a minnow right to the bottom.
You can jig it a bit,but the minnow will make the marabou jig flutter.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585304
07/31/19 07:49 PM
07/31/19 07:49 PM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
On most of the small lakes I fish, the tall weeds quit at at about the 12 foot depth. I use my depthfinder to stay just outside the weeds and slow troll an 1/8 ounce plain jig tipped with a crawler. I catch a lot of junk fish but I sort thru and keep a few for the table...
[Linked Image]

Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585399
07/31/19 10:13 PM
07/31/19 10:13 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Slip bobber and leech in the open pockets in the weeds.

Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: corky] #6585439
07/31/19 11:09 PM
07/31/19 11:09 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by corky
Slip bobber and leech in the open pockets in the weeds.

BAMM!!

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585731
08/01/19 12:16 PM
08/01/19 12:16 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
You need a few tricks if you want to catch(not just fish for)walleyes in the weeds consistently, IMO. Different weather days make different presentation pointless. Such as windy days and bobbers(they get pulled by waves) or hot, sunny days(walleyes will bury into the thickest weeds for shade and O2). Algae blooms can bring the bait minnows to the surface and walleye will cruise the tops of submerged weed beds to chase them often many feet off them bottom. In one dark, turbid weedy lake I fish walleyes are shallow 3-5"(even sunny midday) all summer long even though weeds go out to 8-10' they hang on shallow reef tops and INSIDE the weed line and up to quick dropping shorelines. Heavy insect hatches can actually let you catch walleyes on Dry flies. Many weedless tactics for bass can be tweaked successfully to 'eyes(watching the Bass fisherman have proven me that).

Don't forget weedy lakes have softer bottom and draw lots of wintering frogs. Late fall frog migration into the lake draw walleyes to feet from shore(even daytime) on shorelines with mucky bottoms. 3-4" Double tail white twister bodies on weedless jig or hooked Texas style cast right to shore and retrieved out deeper, they slam them. I have found the walleye norms I grew up being successful on the BIG waters in MN hold no sway in the weeds,IME. I have never experienced as much change in successful presentations as with weed walleyes which is why I think most just give up on them in frustration. Be adaptable and catch what most are missing out on.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Catching walleye in small lakes [Re: BullOx] #6585742
08/01/19 12:46 PM
08/01/19 12:46 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
A buddy and I drag crank baits on leadcore line or my favorite is a bottom bouncer and a worm harness until we find the fish then lite lines with jigs tipped with a night crawler or leach. This works best with a lite chop on the water a breeze is your friend.
The lake I'm referring to is Fort Peck with only has 1,852 miles of shoreline it's the closest to home.

Last edited by Allan Minear; 08/01/19 12:48 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread