No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586698
08/02/19 08:32 PM
08/02/19 08:32 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I welded up the frame on a gas mower for an Amish young man. He was running on just the steel rims. I told him he must have mowed a lot to wear the tires off it. He said no he took them off when it was new.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586787
08/02/19 09:50 PM
08/02/19 09:50 PM
Southern Il.
B
Bowwhitetail Offline
trapper
Bowwhitetail  Offline
trapper
B

Southern Il.
I’m not sure about all of the beliefs of the Amish. I will tell you. We just had a garage built by the Amish. The price and the quality of work can’t be beat.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Bowwhitetail] #6586798
08/02/19 09:57 PM
08/02/19 09:57 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline OP
trapper
Posco  Offline OP
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Bowwhitetail
I’m not sure about all of the beliefs of the Amish. I will tell you. We just had a garage built by the Amish. The price and the quality of work can’t be beat.

They are excellent craftsmen. I'm trying to talk an Amish fellow into putting a roof on my cabin. I'm too busy with everything else going on in my life right now and want to get it buttoned up.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586847
08/02/19 10:35 PM
venango county,pennslyvania
minklessinpa Offline
trapper
minklessinpa  Offline
trapper

venango county,pennslyvania
some are good, some are bad. I've had lumber cut that I figure the Dutchman went under the tree and had his horse cut it! had them work on a kitchen that they sheetrocked over the electric outlets. the one I use for roofing is amazing. normally a roof in a day, metal or shingle.

life member Pennsylvania trappers
life member vfw
member fta
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586848
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Bowwhitetail

They are excellent craftsmen. I'm trying to talk an Amish fellow into putting a roof on my cabin. I'm too busy with everything else going on in my life right now and want to get it buttoned up.

Just like any other people, some are and some aren't. I've seen some cut corners whenever they could on buildings and concrete work. Just because they're Amish doesn't automatically guarantee quality work.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586889
08/03/19 12:03 AM
08/03/19 12:03 AM
Iowa
B
Bristleback Offline
trapper
Bristleback  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
Well, my wife grew up in an Amish community and, no she’s not Amish nor Mennonite, her family is friends with a number of Amish families. I’ve learned a great deal about the Amish and am intrigued by them. Like all communities, there are good and bad. I’ve had them, replace our roof, replace and expand our deck , and build a 2.5 car garage attached to our home. Needless to say we’re very happy with this “families “ work. The speed and quality of this type of work is amazing to me, along with what they charge. Their work ethic is exceptional in my opinion, be it the 9-10 yr old or the 65 yr old grandfather. I’ve become good friends with one over the last few years. He’ll call every couple months to chat about trapping, discuss the economy, business in general or run some things past me regarding some of his employees.
There are several aspects of their community I am amazed by, examples are their tremendous ability to forgive along with their sense of community when a storm or tornado hits. They pull together and put things back to order in no time.
One unique thing we did was have our wedding rehearsal dinner inside an Old Order Amish home. The wife and her 5-6 daughters fixed an amazing meal, if you like a typical “country dinner” including homemade bread and pie. Most of our wedding party , including myself had never experienced that, kerosene lanterns, candles and all.
Just thought I’d share my experiences.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Pike River] #6586906
08/03/19 05:06 AM
08/03/19 05:06 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by coonman220
I don't care for Amish, had trouble them before, ya there many different kinds Amish , hardcore ones. No power an just like many yrs back, not sure if them or Jehovah or both, no blood transfusion, there are white suprmacist or neo nazi, groups that are Amish, hardcore suprrmicist, that in prison, into meth mfg other stuff, I reading about

Ever run into the Amish Mafia? Scarier than a Mexican with bulge in his pocket.

I have deal with one that talk about the Amish Mafia and he was try to see if he will spook me .I laugh at him I had been brought up when I was a kid next door to a place that was run by the Italian Mafia. The Amish guy just look at me and did not know what to say after.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586915
08/03/19 05:38 AM
08/03/19 05:38 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
My buddy always tells me how much money he makes hauling amish. I asked him what he gets and he told me it depends, 40-80 dollars a day. I thought not too bad until he told me what it consists of.
One time he picked one up and spent the day at the hospital with them, the person wasn't close to his residence either.
Took another one to auction, had to stay the whole day, his Caravan was so full you couldn't slide a popsicle stick in there (hard on a caravan suspension, they are light.) And to boot, guy was bidding against me the whole time.
I keep reminding him gas and wear & tear is over .50 a mile but he claims hes making money. On his behalf- he doesn't do it daily, just once in a while for certain ones.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6586918
08/03/19 05:56 AM
08/03/19 05:56 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by coonman220
I don't care for Amish, had trouble them before, ya there many different kinds Amish , hardcore ones. No power an just like many yrs back, not sure if them or Jehovah or both, no blood transfusion, there are white suprmacist or neo nazi, groups that are Amish, hardcore suprrmicist, that in prison, into meth mfg other stuff, I reading about

Not to paint with a broad brush or anything...

LOL.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586919
08/03/19 05:58 AM
08/03/19 05:58 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I bet you could a make a killing in a new Amish community hauling them around until you have local competition.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586920
08/03/19 06:04 AM
08/03/19 06:04 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
they are all rich here,looking for farms.sold a bunch of property in sw PA with the mineral rights in gas land.our area honestly can use the money and the reworking of a lot of old family farms that are falling by the way side.

Re: Amish rules [Re: lumberjack391] #6586927
08/03/19 07:00 AM
08/03/19 07:00 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
My buddy always tells me how much money he makes hauling amish. I asked him what he gets and he told me it depends, 40-80 dollars a day. I thought not too bad until he told me what it consists of.
One time he picked one up and spent the day at the hospital with them, the person wasn't close to his residence either.
Took another one to auction, had to stay the whole day, his Caravan was so full you couldn't slide a popsicle stick in there (hard on a caravan suspension, they are light.) And to boot, *^%#^% guy was bidding against me the whole time.
I keep reminding him gas and wear & tear is over .50 a mile but he claims hes making money. On his behalf- he doesn't do it daily, just once in a while for certain ones.

I know a guy that hauls them literally all over the U.S. Seems funerals and weddings are the big thing. They also take vacations all over the west. He hauls them where ever they are going and while he is waiting he goes to sales and/or sees the sites. He told of one time he hauled them to a wedding that had a 160 people staying at one house. The women and kids slept in the house and the men slept outside. It was too far to a hotel so he slept in the air conditioned van. They feed him and he loves their cooking. Just imagine a house packed with people and no fans or air and hotter than all get out.

Re: Amish rules [Re: K52] #6586928
08/03/19 07:02 AM
08/03/19 07:02 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline OP
trapper
Posco  Offline OP
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by K52
Originally Posted by Posco

Just like any other people, some are and some aren't. I've seen some cut corners whenever they could on buildings and concrete work. Just because they're Amish doesn't automatically guarantee quality work.

That was a broad-brush statement on my part and I knew it. They have a store not far from me where they sell their custom made furniture and the stuff is beautiful and expensive. I'd love to furnish my house and cabin with their stuff but I can't afford it.

I don't know about your part of the world but they are also known for their sheds. Amish sheds are everywhere around here. A lot of folks use them as cabins and some even live in them as their primary residence. They always seem to be very well constructed.

And as pcr2 mentioned, the Amish have bought up a lot of real estate in this area. Mostly farmland. They work it hard.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586954
08/03/19 08:21 AM
08/03/19 08:21 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Some of the best carpenters I know are Amish, but by and large they are wood butchers. At the local lumber yard the bad checks on the wall are about 1/4 Amish names.

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6586962
08/03/19 08:42 AM
08/03/19 08:42 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Some of you guys do tend to paint with a broad brush. The generalizations you make are the same as if you said something like, "Catholics are good readers" or "Protestants are excellent gardeners." Amish and Mennonite are people just like the rest of us. There are good and bad among them just like any other segment of society.

There is a large population of Amish in the area I live and I have dealt with them most of my life. For the most part they are hard-working honest people. They are shrewd businessmen and can drive a hard bargain but seem to enjoy negotiating. I've bought lots of lumber and equipment from them.

I have rarely been turned down when asking permission to hunt or trap an Amishman's property. They have bought up most of the old Dutch farms around here and I am very thankful for that. Many of the old Dutch farmers didn't seem to care whether their farms were sold to land developers or other farmers, whoever paid the most seemed to be their only concern. If not for the Amish, this whole area would be a giant suburb. Because of them, it is still fairly rural (as rural as you can get in southeast PA).

Amish fathers in my area buy farms for their sons to farm and the tradition continues.

Eh...wot?

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6587049
08/03/19 11:59 AM
08/03/19 11:59 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
There's an Amish man, and maybe his wife ?? and a coupe of daughters ?? who on occasion show up at the defense plant I work at here in CT, to sell their cookies and other food stuff.
It's quite a sight to see, and once in a while I'll see if I can make eye contact with any of them - but only the man will nod back at me.

Strange, because I a] wonder how they got all the way out here and b] question their selling of their wares in a defense plant, because I always thought those folks were anti-war.

But it is interesting the way they sit there - and just a few feet away the workers assemble in the cafeteria to eat, converse, watch Fox News [yes, the only TV the company allows]

I often wonder what goes though their minds, looking at the way the others are living................

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6587125
08/03/19 03:40 PM
08/03/19 03:40 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
we have a group around here that uses farm equipment with regular tired. I was shocked! I guess they get to make their own rules and use their religious beliefs to defend what they do

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6587232
08/03/19 06:23 PM
08/03/19 06:23 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
There are many orders and the individuals do not make their own rules but they can and do leave one order for another etc. Not many that I have ever seen are say a couple of two different orders however, but that may be just my limited experience. I have been on pasture walks with more that a couple Amish order attendees and 3 Mennonite orders at the same event. Makes for some interesting observations. Some came from short distances with horses and old order for sure. Some drove and some hired vans to bring a group. At least a couple times a group bought an Dutch and English speaking person along to interpret for those that did not understand English.
I knew one new order family well and they traveled a lot but settles for 6 years in our area and he milked 70 cows. His father was an old order member and the other old order members felt that he disrespected his father because he left the order, so there is indeed politics in their lives and in some cases more complicated than ours.
My brother had his old farm house remodeled by the Amish. They picked him and the crew up every day and drove them home and used a trailer for larger items as needed. I visited the farm they lived at, no power in the house but a large roughly 40 y 120 shed with two large generators at each end running building long shafts that had all the most modern and high quality wood and metal lathes I had seen in a long time and they had a trained crew there to use them all.
Many of the new order in our area utilized USDA Farm loans for their initial credit and debt was not something they were afraid of.

Bryce

Re: Amish rules [Re: Posco] #6587253
08/03/19 07:03 PM
08/03/19 07:03 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
A huge sect of them left Ohio and purchased land in Missouri because their Deacon deemed smoking against their law. While I admire the lifestyle and the connected conduit to nature, Amish are just like the rest of us, good and bad. Continuity with land does not make goodness a absolute.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Amish rules [Re: Big George W] #6587430
08/03/19 10:39 PM
08/03/19 10:39 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Big George W
There's an Amish man, and maybe his wife ?? and a coupe of daughters ?? who on occasion show up at the defense plant I work at here in CT, to sell their cookies and other food stuff.
It's quite a sight to see, and once in a while I'll see if I can make eye contact with any of them - but only the man will nod back at me.

Strange, because I a] wonder how they got all the way out here and b] question their selling of their wares in a defense plant, because I always thought those folks were anti-war.

But it is interesting the way they sit there - and just a few feet away the workers assemble in the cafeteria to eat, converse, watch Fox News [yes, the only TV the company allows]

I often wonder what goes though their minds, looking at the way the others are living................

Pity is my bet. And I can't help but agree sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread