No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
More River NUT! #6587780
08/04/19 02:46 PM
08/04/19 02:46 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Didn't take time to go find my other post with detector finds.. Was back to the river again this morning in water detecting. Was going to go to the main beach didn't get there early enough 8am. There were two guys already on that beach detecting so I went to a different unofficial beach. The two that were on the main beach weren't in the water but I still decided to go to the other beach.
Anyway river is dropping finally and I got on a spot where current had cut the sand down some. Found couple old pop and one old beer can. Dug them just to get things out of the way and one did have a dime in same hole..
Today's finds were not so good and like always lots of trash . It actually think it's funny when I find the big lead sinkers that are worth more to me than most the coins..No silver today????

8 - pennys with winner for oldest at 1945
3 - Nickles oldest 1969
2 - dimes oldest 1971
1 - little gold ear ring maybe 10k or plate??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The little white thing is on my other "What is it" post. It came up in the scoop as a random Item. I kept it because I know what it is..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6587904
08/04/19 06:13 PM
08/04/19 06:13 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline
trapper
redsnow  Offline
trapper
R

WV
I'll tell you those old Pepsi cans sound good. I remember one I dug up, and that's been 25 years ago. I had a crater.

Well, finally got my brother to go swimming with me the other day. The river water had been muddy for almost a month, one rain after another. Slim pickings, but we found 2 good rod/reel combos. The rod I found still had the rod holder attached, someone must have taken a pretty good spill. I'd like to get out a couple more times, the water will be cold before long.

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6587967
08/04/19 07:22 PM
08/04/19 07:22 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
redsnow

I got a bridge I want to get in under and snorkel at sometime now if the water stays stable. Should be about waist deep when not ragging.
I'm set up with enough gear I can work under the ice if I want too.. Don't enjoy that kind of diving unless got something important to look for or very interesting to look at..But you right it will get cold eventually..Most my metal detecting I do in chest deep water or less at beaches.. We did go out Saturday on river sonar a big Dock pipe ice snapped off. I didn't dive it I drove the boat let younger guy dive. We found it got a strap on it with a float up top so dock company can pick it with their boom. It's 8-10 inch in diameter and about piece 20 some ft long??? Ice actually snapped it off about 5ft up from bottom in 25ft water. Lot of power in the water more when it's moving couple ft ice with it..

Mac

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6587972
08/04/19 07:28 PM
08/04/19 07:28 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
By the looks of the fishing tackle someone had a double rig for catfish.

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6588136
08/04/19 10:24 PM
08/04/19 10:24 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Nice find.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589391
08/06/19 07:16 PM
08/06/19 07:16 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Back at it again for a while this morning in water at main beach working the cut.. I kind of like the old silver dimes came out river all nice clean. At least I found some silver today even if just two dimes.
Found a lot of junk today ran my machine little more wide open. Found several old beer cans that I know where carried in by high water. Dug them to get them out of the way and did find the 1988 quarter in same hole with one..

So today
7 - pennies oldest 1945
2 - nickles oldest 1964
4 - dimes oldest 1959 - 1962
2 - quarters oldest 1988
1 - belly ring
piece gold chain
piece either silver ?? stainless chain??
Another E-cigarette

I'm Still searching for that one big gold bar......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mac

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589400
08/06/19 07:22 PM
08/06/19 07:22 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Nice haul, you going to use that belly ring. laugh

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589410
08/06/19 07:39 PM
08/06/19 07:39 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Online happy
trapper
walleyed  Online Happy
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Macthediver

[Linked Image]

The little white thing is on my other "What is it" post. It came up in the scoop as a random Item. I kept it because I know what it is..

Mac

I'm calling the white thing an ootolith (Ear bone) from a sheepshead (fresh water drum) !!! laugh

What do I win ? laugh

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589698
08/07/19 07:46 AM
08/07/19 07:46 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Thanks for posting. Looks interesting.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: More River NUT! [Re: Bob_Iowa] #6589700
08/07/19 07:48 AM
08/07/19 07:48 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Nice haul, you going to use that belly ring. laugh

LOL! seen as I lost my belly button to the cancer so don't have one any more Naaa.. I think my belly button it's in a jar on a shelf in lab? Got someone just pokes a stick at it every so often.. :-) I don't care to pound that thing threw my nose or eye brow so got no use for it..

Maybe Walleye can use it as a prize for knowing what the sheep's head rock was>>>>>That is a pretty big diamond though to give out for a "what is it prize." Maybe seeing where it was mounted before it was lost would have been the real prize? We'll never know???

I just dig the beeps.

Mac

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589704
08/07/19 07:55 AM
08/07/19 07:55 AM
W
walleyed Online happy
trapper
walleyed  Online Happy
trapper
W

Mac,

Do you ever detect any pre-1900's coinage in your treasure hunting searches ?

Ever find any gold piece denominations ?

I find your searches very interesting so keep up the good work !! laugh

w

Last edited by walleyed; 08/07/19 07:58 AM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6589745
08/07/19 08:53 AM
08/07/19 08:53 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Walleyed
The beach I was messing around in yesterday dates back to where pre-1900 items could be there??? River it's self been used for travel since before white men showed up..Problem is that what doesn't get covered by sand keeps sinking and moving around. I think if I was going to find anything real old there I'd have to scrap off at least couple feet sand. Some 10 years back the city had a track hoe scrap out that beach. They took a couple feet sand out hauled some off spread some back up beach. My self and couple others pounded it with detectors found lots of stuff.. oldest coins were the wheat pennies little 30s silver. So we figured they just didn't dig deep enough?? Where I found the older dimes yesterday the latest high water blew some sand off. So I think I'm back in the zone where the track hoe left off.. Some parts of the beach are now covered by even more sand. So even items dropped last summer probably covered and out of range.
My neighbor who also detects does more parks and yards. He finds some coins that are pre-1900. Had a couple barber dimes he showed me back in May.. Guy has to be careful too where ya hunt and if ya find anything of to much value. Always someone looking to take it from ya or say somethings artifacts..
I'm kind of a dummy really just enjoy searching for things, probably should be fishing instead. Can get a little obsessed sometimes and I like going in the water switch things up so have variety in life... More people these day in the water but lot more on land... So of course easy items are picked out of lots of places. But if ya get machine set right dig the tones other won't. Ya can still find cool stuff.
But hey! Squirrel !!!! I got to run :-)

Mac

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6590185
08/07/19 07:56 PM
08/07/19 07:56 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I’ve always found metal detecting interesting just never could bring myself to spend the money for a decent detector, there’s not to many good places around here to look.

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6591354
08/09/19 03:14 PM
08/09/19 03:14 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
I could see detecting just to find the big sinkers...they arent cheap and i lose too many.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6591936
08/10/19 11:46 AM
08/10/19 11:46 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline
trapper
redsnow  Offline
trapper
R

WV
Mac, you've been finding some good stuff. I need to dig out my detector. I've got a place, just called a week or so ago and asked about the laws. There's not much sand, but mostly river rock. It'll change every high water, but there's always been a sandy beach there, all of my life anyway. I'm sure it's littered with lead sinkers. I'll give it a try.

Was out swimming the other day, the water is nice. Could see 6 feet or better. Swam at 3 different spots, found part of a ratchet strap, some small junk. Same places that I've looked before, nothing new or maybe someone else has been snorkeling there ahead of me? Seems like most folks on the river anymore are just paddling, sightseeing.

Re: More River NUT! [Re: walleyed] #6593044
08/12/19 10:51 AM
08/12/19 10:51 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by walleyed

[Linked Image]

Mac

I'm calling the white thing an ootolith (Ear bone) from a sheepshead (fresh water drum) !!! laugh

What do I win ? laugh

w

Yep

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6593964
08/13/19 04:06 PM
08/13/19 04:06 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
The river gave up a few more coins this morning, but nothing really interesting or old. I went to two different beaches this time and was surprised by how little trash was there. Which to me means that someone else is probably working it with a detector too. When it's easy digging I dig everything get trash out of way. I dug a lot of pull rings at the first beach probably 4-5 pull rings to every coin. Not a lot of big trash which surprised me as it is a beach where boater have used for many years..All the coins I found are the dirtier one in the pic. I did check things closer today and dug some targets that clipped. They turned out to be more than one item in the same hole, which is why I decided to dig them... It then pour rain, which really don't matter because I'm in a wet suit anyway. But I pulled out and decide to go anther beach in town and give that a try. I haven't detected in that beach for several years and I know it gets hit regular at least in the sand.. There were not many beeps but almost every beep I dug was a coin. All the clean coins in the pic came from that beach. which means their newer drops..hit one spot about 2ft square where all the clean quarters and several other coins came from..
I got to start trying to think of some place I haven't been for some time. Also where other wouldn't think to go.
I'm surprised I didn't find even one piece of junk jewelry this morning..
Still waiting on some them big old gold class rings???? Got to be a couple out there for me somewhere??

[Linked Image]

Mac

Re: More River NUT! [Re: walleyed] #6594067
08/13/19 07:24 PM
08/13/19 07:24 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by walleyed

[Linked Image]

Mac

What do I win ? laugh

w

My 1st thought as well.

Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6594419
08/14/19 09:05 AM
08/14/19 09:05 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Ttt.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: More River NUT! [Re: Macthediver] #6594448
08/14/19 09:54 AM
08/14/19 09:54 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Not real good pic this last time but there is another white dot in lower right corner of that pic. It's not a shephead stone like the other. Thought when first saw it in the scoop was a river pearl.. looking little closer think it's just mother of pearl and a little piece off the hing of the shell.. I know way more about river shells then I care to admit. Another one of my many things that come under my jack of all trade master of nothing things..
[Linked Image]

Mac

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread