No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6584402
07/30/19 12:43 PM
07/30/19 12:43 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
In this case the people that are involved in the harassment believe that their interest in the outdoors is above everyone else's as the elite should rule the outdoors in SD. It was stated last year that other States surrounding SD would be looked at for the regulations that they could put to work in SD. Not because they were needed but to discourage trapping as a whole.

It appears the anti trappers have a anti in the Audubon Society that they use as a petitioner for their ideas (funny the Audubon would work with a bird hunter interest group) The same lady did similar anti trapping actions with the bounty program this spring. It appears her interest is more anti and less about birds in general.

I would say this is isolated to the Anti and a special interest group, people "appointed" to the GFP by the last Governor and not lead by bird hunting organizations or the GFP itself really. Many of the bird hunting originations work with trappers and have even suppled cages to interested members over the years.

Over all it's a person abusing his position that he was appointed to for who he knew and not for what he knew. If he had a brain he would see that harming trapping is harming his own interest in the end.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6585045
07/31/19 11:06 AM
07/31/19 11:06 AM
South Dakota
L
ljw Offline
trapper
ljw  Offline
trapper
L

South Dakota
DONE !

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6585268
07/31/19 06:47 PM
07/31/19 06:47 PM
South Dakota
kjcouchey Offline
trapper
kjcouchey  Offline
trapper

South Dakota
I emailed the gov the following

Dear Madam Governor,
Trapping has been and is a part of my lifestyle and i applaud your steadfast support for trapping. Hindering that support i believe is several members of the SD GFP Commission. This commission has again and again given voice to anti trappers. Once again a proposal to limit and constrict the ability of sportsmen and women from trapping the fur bearing animals of our state has been proposed with no merit. Currently the trap check times for east river is 48 hours. This time frame is not only humane but it gives us trappers the ability to operate our trap lines in a cost effective manner. If this proposal would be accepted to limit check times to 24 hours it would have a negative impact in several ways. This proposal would limit the amount of traps a trapper can use. This would limit the amount of nest predators and fur bearing animals caught.This proposal regulates an already diminishing sport. This proposal does nothing to address a current need or issue. This proposal stands in opposition to your second century initiative. Please stand up and voice opposition to this rule change. Please take into consideration the commissioners stance on trapping when you select our future commissioners. Thank you for your support of trapping. Thank you for your consideration in the matter.

Best Regards,

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: kjcouchey] #6585349
07/31/19 08:58 PM
07/31/19 08:58 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by kjcouchey
I emailed the gov the following

Dear Madam Governor,
Trapping has been and is a part of my lifestyle and i applaud your steadfast support for trapping. Hindering that support i believe is several members of the SD GFP Commission. This commission has again and again given voice to anti trappers. Once again a proposal to limit and constrict the ability of sportsmen and women from trapping the fur bearing animals of our state has been proposed with no merit. Currently the trap check times for east river is 48 hours. This time frame is not only humane but it gives us trappers the ability to operate our trap lines in a cost effective manner. If this proposal would be accepted to limit check times to 24 hours it would have a negative impact in several ways. This proposal would limit the amount of traps a trapper can use. This would limit the amount of nest predators and fur bearing animals caught.This proposal regulates an already diminishing sport. This proposal does nothing to address a current need or issue. This proposal stands in opposition to your second century initiative. Please stand up and voice opposition to this rule change. Please take into consideration the commissioners stance on trapping when you select our future commissioners. Thank you for your support of trapping. Thank you for your consideration in the matter.

Best Regards,

Well said!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6585392
07/31/19 10:04 PM
07/31/19 10:04 PM
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

SD
Great letter, I mailed a similar one to Governor Noem's office. I would encourage all SD trappers to write or email Governor Noem about this issue. Be forceful but respective as shown in this letter. We have to stay on top of this!

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6585442
07/31/19 11:09 PM
07/31/19 11:09 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Done

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6588021
08/04/19 08:18 PM
08/04/19 08:18 PM
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

SD
Does anyone know when the commissioners meet to vote on this petition?

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6588028
08/04/19 08:31 PM
08/04/19 08:31 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
I don't see a date in the West River trappers letter I have!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6588034
08/04/19 08:35 PM
08/04/19 08:35 PM
South Dakota
P
Prn Offline OP
trapper
Prn  Offline OP
trapper
P

South Dakota
Looks like it is Sept 5-6. In Spearfish.

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Nd native] #6589827
08/07/19 10:49 AM
08/07/19 10:49 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Nd native
I've said it time and time again. Pheasant hunters are pretty much all anti trappers. Surprised South Dakota even allows trapping. Too many big dollar prize winning mutts that might scratch a paw to allow such barbaric activity.

Sorry. Just venting my frustration. The same thing has been filtering itself up here as well. Only time I'm told I cant trap is because the landowner says I'm going to injure or kill a grandkids dog or they'll break their foot.

I'm about as die hard of a bird hunter as you will find. Love bird dogs and chasing wild birds. Pheasants included. I trap more than I bird hunt, but like both pursuits equally. I got a lot of bird dog friends and can think of maybe one of them who is what I'd consider an anti trapper, and even then, they are mostly just anti snare.

Last edited by Wild_Idaho; 08/07/19 02:57 PM.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6590163
08/07/19 07:26 PM
08/07/19 07:26 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Bird hunting is big and everyone knows I trap never have issues with the local bird hunters in fact most are with Pheasant Forever and encourage trapping, the guy trying to do the damage is a Lawyer that seems to think him and his friends have the run of the State but weird things happen here.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6590211
08/07/19 08:20 PM
08/07/19 08:20 PM
Indiana
C
concrete man Offline
trapper
concrete man  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Done

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6612253
09/08/19 06:02 PM
09/08/19 06:02 PM
South Dakota
M
Mark Steck Offline
trapper
Mark Steck  Offline
trapper
M

South Dakota
This is an email I received from John Hopple, president of the South Dakota Trapping Association.. Clearly our associations matter!

Hello Trappers
I wanted to update you with the most current information concerning trap tags and the 24 hr trap check proposal.

As of today trap tags are a non-issue. The Board of Commissioners voted to not move on a proposal and then flat out voted to reject a new proposal from the Prairie Hills Audubon Society. So with that said no trap tag proposals are currently on the agenda or up for any votes in the near future and I suspect the rest of this year. We can not however assume it will never come up again. I strongly believe that the board voted the way they did based on the recommendation of GFP personnel. GFP recommended that this proposal was not needed. The original reasoning was it would help identify those who were in violation of trapping regulations. When pushed earlier last month for facts and numbers it was revealed that of the 3K licenses sold, only 27 violations were recorded. A less than 1% rate. Meaning over 99% of trappers were following the rules. As such GFP saw no need to increase a burden on us.

The trap check proposal however is more complicated. I do however believe it is not an issue to worry over anymore. As a 24 check was proposed and adopted by the Board of Commissioners for public comment it has to legally run its course. It was not going to be voted on at the Spearfish meeting. It will be voted on at the Chamberlain meeting Oct 3. Again the GFP could not change the original proposal however they were able to propose a second version of this rule. Under their rule they have recommended that the commissioners raise the trap check to 3 days state wide. I spoke to several commissioners and while I am confidant that the 24 hour check will not pass the new GFP proposal may not. Some commissioners feel a 3 day check east river is not needed. A couple said that they have talked to trappers east river and they are fine with a 2 day check. SO, this new 3 day check may not pass. if that is the case the current rule (3 days west/2 days east) will stand.

I can not stress this enough, there are friends of trappers through out the commission. I spoke to almost all of the commissioners the last two days. They made public comments such as "trappers are the unpaid employees of this states and do us all a service" to commissioner Olsen reminding everyone trappers explored and started the routes/roads in this states to make it possible for us become a state. Most of the commissioners understand us and will support us within reason.

Same with GFP. The board voted for the recommendations of GFP. GFP used facts and logic and took the emotion out of it. They were 100% correct to do this and in the end became a steadfast ally the trappers across the state. Our work however is not done. Please show up in Chamberlain to voice your views on the trap check. AND please, please ensure you thank those who support us. Never forget, our work will never be done and there will be other issues and vote some day. These folks work hard on everything from zebra mussels to velvet antler tagging and camping fees. Thanking them to publicly voice support for us is something each and everyone one of us should do.

thank you to Vince Louge and his folks at the WSDFHA and Ray Maize who sat there for two days of board meetings!
see you in Chamberlain
John

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6612315
09/08/19 07:27 PM
09/08/19 07:27 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Good to hear, the Anti's seem to put forward several proposals at the same time every year to get one to pass through every year, I could see them asking for 24 hour checks to get a statewide 48 hour check passed. Lawyers call it the death of a thousand cuts just chipping away on hit at a time.

We are lucky the Governor won the election as she sees trapping as a tool for the State's benefit.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6612392
09/08/19 08:42 PM
09/08/19 08:42 PM
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

SD
Mark: I am wondering why we are confident that the 24 hour check will not pass when the vote was 6-2 to move that part of the petition forward?

Re: South Dakota needs your help [Re: Prn] #6632050
10/03/19 05:29 PM
10/03/19 05:29 PM
South Dakota
P
Prn Offline OP
trapper
Prn  Offline OP
trapper
P

South Dakota
Just an update for anyone interested. The commission voted today to reject this petition. So it looks like things stay the same as they currently are. Thanks for everyone who submitted a public comment to reject this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread