No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wind energy #6588047
08/04/19 08:50 PM
08/04/19 08:50 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
Had anyone other than the land owners where wind generates have been put up benifitted from wind energy? Have any community benifitted? I've heard nothing good about them,mostly a lot of negative. School's are suppose to benifitt but I haven't heard any success story's. What do you all think?

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588054
08/04/19 08:56 PM
08/04/19 08:56 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I would like to see if they survive without federal subsidies.

Re: Wind energy [Re: EdP] #6588056
08/04/19 09:01 PM
08/04/19 09:01 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
I didn't realize we were funding them are they not self sufficient?

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588058
08/04/19 09:03 PM
08/04/19 09:03 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Not self sufficient. Even if they were...…...when the wind isn't blowing, you have no electricity. With solar, if the sun doesn't shine, you have no electricity. With either or both, there are times you will still need coal or natural gas or hydro power.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588061
08/04/19 09:08 PM
08/04/19 09:08 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
The only time I think the local community benefits is when they’re building them by the influx of people into the community.

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588066
08/04/19 09:12 PM
08/04/19 09:12 PM
Hathaway Montana
Cathouse Jim Offline
trapper
Cathouse Jim  Offline
trapper

Hathaway Montana
I live in a community where they are shutting down two coal fired units before the new year. 320 jobs will be lost due to this. The windfarms are wanting to ruin the beautiful Montana landscape here now. The initial construction will employ 400 - 600 temporary jobs. Once the wind towers have been built there will be about 30 jobs relating to them. Not much of a trade off for the loss of families that will be affected.

Personally, I could care less if Seattle has power or not as those people need a slap of reality. They are responsible for every anti-hunt/trap bill to ever hit Washington state as well as all the recent stupid gun laws they have come up with. They have not one care for anyone else in the state of Washington or other states but their own agenda.

Last edited by Cathouse Jim; 08/04/19 09:12 PM.

"I've reached nearly fifty four years of age with my system."

NTA Life member
MTA Life member
Re: Wind energy [Re: Cathouse Jim] #6588074
08/04/19 09:21 PM
08/04/19 09:21 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
This seems to be what I hear over and over seems crazy how they keep poping up everywhere. Don't seem to matter who's in office, whose running this country anyway?

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588101
08/04/19 09:49 PM
08/04/19 09:49 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by nate
I didn't realize we were funding them are they not self sufficient?

Without Federal $$$$'s ++ you wouldn't have wind or solar. Neither produce enough energy to pay for themselves. You can also say that about ethanol in your tank.

Solar panels only pencil out if costs are spread out over 30 years. No one bothers to point out that they have a useful life of about TEN years.

Wind is similar. Between initial installation costs and maintenance they would be big losers without Government handouts. Let alone that at some point they'll be scrap with no plan or money to rip them down.

Ethanol in your gas reduces your fuel mileage by about the same as your (at the pump) savings. Those savings are subsidized by tax dollars. Otherwise corn ethanol would cost more than straight gas and produce less energy per gallon.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588102
08/04/19 09:53 PM
08/04/19 09:53 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
and Cathouse Jim is right. Seattle and it's wacked out environmental mindset is strangling Mid West coal. I personally know a lot of them. They vote to rip out the hydroelectric dams that have provided affordable energy for decades. Then complain when their electric bill takes a leap as scheduled (directly by those same voters) every few years. The idiocracy and disconnect is astounding.

Last edited by wildflights; 08/04/19 09:55 PM.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588155
08/04/19 10:58 PM
08/04/19 10:58 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Its a joke.We have a "Wind farm" in back of our property that's been there now for about 5+years now.Somehow people have the idea that we're all getting some kind of cut rate on our electric bill.The electricity generated here is sent down below the bridge to lower Michigan,150+miles away.We don't see one dime of savings from them being in our backyard.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Wind energy [Re: Bob_Iowa] #6588163
08/04/19 11:11 PM
08/04/19 11:11 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
The only time I think the local community benefits is when they’re building them by the influx of people into the community.

Those wind generation companies pay a lot of taxes to state and county/townships they are sitting on. The windfall is huge to those small communities. The landowner is paid yearly/monthly for the rent of the land and roads etc..

I'm not saying I'm for wind or solar energy just pointing that out.

Last edited by snowy; 08/04/19 11:13 PM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588172
08/04/19 11:17 PM
08/04/19 11:17 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Read they will never recoup the energy it takes to make one so it's a loss from the start.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588173
08/04/19 11:19 PM
08/04/19 11:19 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I guided quite a few windmill guys. I was told around 75% subsidized and in 20 years they wouldn’t make the 75% back. I think they tear up more dollars worth of roads hauling them, then they will ever make back. Federal government at its finest

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588177
08/04/19 11:22 PM
08/04/19 11:22 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
We are dealing with some wind energy issues in my county here in SE Nebraska. We kinda have a good area for the towers as a ridge on the west half of the county seems to have plenty wind most of the time that would make the wind towers profitable, or so the developers have said. Also that area has no ground water so center pivots and irrigation are a non issue. I am on the county P & Z board so I hear both sides. Most land owners (probably over 50 to 60%) in that area have signed up their acres and have been told they will receive a payment just for putting their land in . If they get a tower a number in the $8000 per tower per year range is what I hear. No tower, but your land in the project footprint, could have the landowners receiving a payment that as of right now could equal about a 1/3rd of their taxes. Also we have given a company a permit for a 300 megawatt wind farm and the county has been told that could generate $1,000,000.00 per year in taxes. A lot of money will change hands. Is it a good deal?? Time will tell. There have been some who just does not want them at all. Put them somewhere else. Just like a feedlot. There are always those who don't want their nice peaceful country life ruined. Which is what will happen according to them. Are they right? As far as the electricity generated being sold somewhere else, it was explained to me the electricity is like water being added to a big tank. Somebody somewhere is pulling water out but with more going in the level will stay constant. Power on the grid is the same way. I do ask everyone who comes to me to "comment" on this issue that we have a huge demand for electricity and that hunger is growing every day. Just think what you use compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Where do you propose we get it from. Would you be happy with a nuclear plant by your home. What about a mega giant coal or gas plant. Would you be happy if they built a huge dam and flooded your valley for hydro electric. They don't want any thing like that around their place. Put it somewhere else, and take the livestock feedlots too. Trouble is somewhere else is always someone's backyard. I have a lot to consider when I vote!!

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 08/04/19 11:25 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588212
08/05/19 12:42 AM
08/05/19 12:42 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
make sure if you approve them in your county that you make them put the money in BOND with the to remove them when their time is up get some estimates on what a tower removal would cost ask that that much be placed in bond.

if they are legit it should be no issue for them to do that.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588216
08/05/19 12:59 AM
08/05/19 12:59 AM
Iowa
B
Bristleback Offline
trapper
Bristleback  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
As stated before, our government at its finest. Wind here in Iowa is heavily subsidized, it can NOT survive without our government propping it up. There are parts of Iowa that is overrun with wind turbines. Iowa has its own unique beauty, but I can’t imagine these in the beautiful state of Montana!!!

I worked with a farmer this week who I’ve known for a number of years, he has 5 turbines on his personal property, he signed a 40 year contact, $15K per year, per turbine, yes that’s $75K annually just from the turbines. The 40 years sounds like a lengthy contract, to me anyway.

One topic that was raised in the last few years was the dismantling of these turbines, once they’re worn out. WHO would pay for this. My farmer friend said the company who owns them are required to put a % of $$ aside for maintaining and dismantling them, so there finds available to address this.

Another farmer told me a couple years ago he was getting $4K per turbine , annually. This farmer has had these on his place for a number of years already. The first farmer I mentioned, his turbines are all less than a year old.

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588218
08/05/19 01:14 AM
08/05/19 01:14 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Wind and solar both are subsidized. It is why the Europeans owned a large portion of this "green" looting of America in the Obama years. For the facts, I was told that our rural electric was mandated to purchase 40% green energy from Obama regulations, which are still on the books, and is why all of our energy prices have tripled and will keep rising.
If people would raise enough protest about this, in shutting off subsidies, and demanding that the 40% be removed, it would release funds for maintaining coal and progress to thorium. For those who are not aware, America had working thorium power plants in the 1960's. Richard Nixon shut it down, because America needed nuclear weapons from nuclear plants.
Thorium is clean nuclear power, the earth has billions of tons of it, and the United States is loaded with it by God's good Grace. We could power the world literally.

Wind power requires a great deal of cost maintenance. It is the worst of the green energies, as costs are overwhelming. I have read stories that Europe is dumping their wind power and trying to unload it on Africa.

American energy policy is controlled by the insiders. Our natural gas is being used to run power plants in the east, which is driving up our home heating costs. States like Minnesota are insane in getting rid of all energy production, and expecting North and South Dakota to generate coal electricity for them. That is liberalism. North Dakota has stated that they are at max in green energy as it is not dependable. You can not power a grid with a system where the wind does not blow half the year, and the sun is not in they sky for half the day.

Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588222
08/05/19 04:17 AM
08/05/19 04:17 AM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY
I have a love, hate relationship with wind energy. The hate part is that the economics part of the equation really does not work.

We own a piece of ground that gets wind company payments. We do not have a turbine on it, they have 3 utility poles that are on our property line. They pay about 5600 dollars a year for this. Not too bad. The taxes in that town are significantly lower than they were before the wind company came in, since they pour so much money into the local tax system. I personally don't find them to be the eyesore that many do. I actually find them to be visually appealing. You do however want regulations on their lighting as they often will put strobe lights on them, thats horrible. In our area they regulated them to only have a red blinking light on top. That hasn't been to bad, everyone seemed to get used to that rather quickly.

In reality the worst thing about them coming here has been the fighting between the people who want them and those that don't.

Last edited by Dana I; 08/05/19 04:21 AM. Reason: added last line
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588280
08/05/19 07:29 AM
08/05/19 07:29 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
[Linked Image]
Turbine blades ready to be buried at Casper WY landfill.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Wind energy [Re: nate] #6588290
08/05/19 07:42 AM
08/05/19 07:42 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Coal, gas, and nuclear plant operators pay huge tax dollar amounts to the counties in which the plants reside. The local communities benefit greatly from the non-green power sources also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread