No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
South Dakota Bounty coming to an end #6591454
08/09/19 05:36 PM
08/09/19 05:36 PM
mitchell,South Dakota
stumper Offline OP
trapper
stumper  Offline OP
trapper

mitchell,South Dakota
I got this in an Email from the GFP today.

"Nest Predator Bounty Program Closes August 12
On August 12, the Nest Predator Bounty Program will close after receiving 50,000 nest predator tails from nearly 3,000 participants.
With Governor Noem being committed to continuing South Dakota’s outdoor heritage, she created the Second Century Initiative early in 2019. The Nest Predator Bounty Program launched on April 1, 2019, as part of this initiative to help pheasants and ducks increase nesting success. Since then, the program has focused on introducing people to trapping as well as reducing localized populations of nest predators.
“I want to sincerely thank Governor Noem for taking the initiative to develop a program that encouraged individuals and families to get outside while allowing the department to implement it,” said Game, Fish and Parks’ Secretary, Kelly Hepler. “The success of this program is directly tied to the stories we have received from the families who were inspired to start trapping for the first time. One Huron dad told us that this was one of the first times he and his son were able to connect through an activity other than video games. And a grandma told us that this is a way she can spend time outside with her grandkids.”
The bulk of submissions came from raccoon tails at 37,720 followed by the submission of 5,529 skunk tails. The top counties that participated in the program have included: Minnehaha, Beadle, Yankton, Grant, Brookings, Turner, Kingsbury, Clark, Roberts and Lake counties.
“I greatly appreciate the enthusiasm that has come with the program to sustain our state’s outdoor trapping heritage,” said Hepler. “Participants have not only been successful at removing large numbers of nest predators which will help nesting birds in their local areas, but more importantly, they have had fun and experienced our outdoor resources in a way they might not have ever known.”

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591540
08/09/19 07:14 PM
08/09/19 07:14 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Half million dollars this state didnt have. Glad its over for this year. Havent seen much for birds thus far.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: DWC] #6591595
08/09/19 08:25 PM
08/09/19 08:25 PM
Northern Virginia
J
Jarhead620 Offline
trapper
Jarhead620  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Virginia
Sounds like a lot of road kills to me. Big waste of public funds.

Jarhead

"Just as the deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer." Aldo Leopold
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591599
08/09/19 08:32 PM
08/09/19 08:32 PM
mitchell,South Dakota
stumper Offline OP
trapper
stumper  Offline OP
trapper

mitchell,South Dakota
It was nice to see all the kids being brought in by parents and grandparents looking for traps. I know some of you apparently could give 2 squirts that it may have introduced kids to trapping, but I think it was nice to see. Carma will eventually get the thieves that were turning in road kill.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591650
08/09/19 09:51 PM
08/09/19 09:51 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I run I-90 a lot doing transports, not much tail taking on the interstate and I have to say the roadkill's seem way down in many places. Numbers seem to be down on about every critter yotes are way quite this summer, coons and skunks are way down too.

Birds will be up this year I had about 25 in the yard the other day when I let the dog out in the morning. Seeing a good amount of young birds with the wet summer hay and crops not getting cut much leaving a lot of cover when they were younger.

With this cover the cows are even hard to see in a fresh stand of grass the birds will be hard to see unless they are on the roads.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591665
08/09/19 10:18 PM
08/09/19 10:18 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
"Feel good" story as I read it. This effort will have no significant effect on ground nesting bird success. The vast majority were raccoons and skunks. Do these two species raid nests? Yes, when they stumble upon them. A much bigger threat is coyotes and fox. They actually seek out nests, and work in pairs. One distracts the adult bird so that the other can raid the nest unobstructed. I have seen this in person.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591677
08/09/19 10:46 PM
08/09/19 10:46 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Like I said the timing could not be any better with the numbers down and yotes will get pressured with what they are worth, will they all come back sure they will they always do that's the great thing about the renewable resource cycle.

Not a bounty fan but the timing is to our advantage this year now we need a mild winter and the birds will bounce back quickly!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591689
08/09/19 10:57 PM
08/09/19 10:57 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I had a few tails to turn in, was planning to do it this week anyway and then looked at the "tail tracker" on Weds and almost wondered if I'd be too late this morning. A fairly efficient system; dump your bag into a "fire grate" steel pit where the turned in tails are obviously hit with a little spray paint. The technician scanned my digital code off of my paper combo hunting license (didn't actually need a furbearer's stamp to do it), enters what I brought in into his ipad, I sign the legal statement with my finger, and I away I went. I checked my home e-mail about 2 hours later and I had a receipt of what I had brought in and when I should expect payment. As I was walking out of the "Outdoor Campus" there was a dad (maybe g-dad) and a youngster (probably less than 10) walking in with a bag much larger than mine. I don't think I would have waited quite so long with my entire haul but it appears they got in under the wire. I wished them luck as I walked by.

About a 1,000 tails left to go before the quota is topped out, nearly 3,000 tails turned in the last 3 days. The kill ratio right now is about 80% coon, 11.4% skunk, 6.9% possum, and 1.8% red fox/badger. Probably some of the most complete harvest (ok, warm season) data ever gathered in this state (no sampling involved). The inmates were on over-drive making live traps (saw a small trailer full of them this morning). We'll see if it happens next year...

https://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/e7bbbd6fa93b48c6a31985aa7c57c5ff

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591692
08/09/19 11:01 PM
08/09/19 11:01 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The cages that were handed out here were from tru-catch out Belle Fourche way, they make a nice trap!

Last edited by Law Dog; 08/09/19 11:02 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6591725
08/10/19 12:16 AM
08/10/19 12:16 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
The cages that were handed out here were from tru-catch out Belle Fourche way, they make a nice trap!

Yeah, they did look a bit different from the several prison industries ones I've "seen". I still can't believe word got around that quick back in March and 5,000 live traps were signed up for in one day!!

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592103
08/10/19 05:40 PM
08/10/19 05:40 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I stand corrected, about 4,000 tails turned in this past Weds through Friday. Might have to go do some toe-to-toe with the antis on Gov Noem's facebook page, haven't done that since April. Law Dog have you sparred with them this summer or did that mob move on to some other "war crime"...?

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: NonPCfed] #6592136
08/10/19 06:36 PM
08/10/19 06:36 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
I stand corrected, about 4,000 tails turned in this past Weds through Friday. Might have to go do some toe-to-toe with the antis on Gov Noem's facebook page, haven't done that since April. Law Dog have you sparred with them this summer or did that mob move on to some other "war crime"...?

Free can move mountains.

I went there a few weeks ago the GFP thing and it seems the Anti's went on to other things they know nothing about!

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592215
08/10/19 08:17 PM
08/10/19 08:17 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Might be popular with the public, but bounties do not work! Shows how little your Governor knows about wildlife Biology.Game, Fish, and Parks should be ashamed to allow this.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592239
08/10/19 08:46 PM
08/10/19 08:46 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
I dont think GFP had much say in it.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: Law Dog] #6592244
08/10/19 08:59 PM
South Dakota
P
Prn Offline
trapper
Prn  Offline
trapper
P

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Free can move mountains.

I went there a few weeks ago the GFP thing and it seems the Anti's went on to other things they know nothing about!

My daughter was one of the kids on Facebook that got the anti's all fired up. She had a blast checking her traps and got her interested in trapping. I think this program was great for that aspect of it. We put out a few traps for a couple weeks and turned in 11 tails. $110 is a lot of money for an 8 year old kid. She opened her very own savings account with that money and is saving up for something special. It is money she earned "all on her own" and was very proud of that.
The first week of June we had one live trap set in our backyard. One morning I looked out the window and noticed the door was down. I sent her out to see what was in her trap. She came running back to the house and said there is a skunk in there! By this time we had already turned in all the tails and I told her we are not going to turn in one more. So she asked if we could skin it out. Of course a summer pelt has no value, we skinned it anyways. Then we tanned the hide and she has it hanging in her room and is excited to show her friends. She is sure excited to go set traps this fall. I am certain we will be trying our had at making some hats and gloves with some of her fur this winter.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592246
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Yep it was more like a executive order. I'll take that $590.00 if they want to pay it out, $10 average on Skunks, coons and grinners worked for me! LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: Prn] #6592267
08/10/19 09:30 PM
08/10/19 09:30 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Prn
My daughter was one of the kids on Facebook that got the anti's all fired up. She had a blast checking her traps and got her interested in trapping. I think this program was great for that aspect of it. We put out a few traps for a couple weeks and turned in 11 tails. $110 is a lot of money for an 8 year old kid. She opened her very own savings account with that money and is saving up for something special. It is money she earned "all on her own" and was very proud of that.
The first week of June we had one live trap set in our backyard. One morning I looked out the window and noticed the door was down. I sent her out to see what was in her trap. She came running back to the house and said there is a skunk in there! By this time we had already turned in all the tails and I told her we are not going to turn in one more. So she asked if we could skin it out. Of course a summer pelt has no value, we skinned it anyways. Then we tanned the hide and she has it hanging in her room and is excited to show her friends. She is sure excited to go set traps this fall. I am certain we will be trying our had at making some hats and gloves with some of her fur this winter.

Congratulations to you and your daughter, and well done!

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592348
08/11/19 01:06 AM
08/11/19 01:06 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota

Outstandingly cool!! You're a good dad. The antis can choke on their own despair. Free people are the bedrock of this country!! John 8:31-32

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: stumper] #6592375
08/11/19 06:22 AM
08/11/19 06:22 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Online content
trapper
trapdog1  Online Content
trapper
T

Iowa
I'm glad the program got some kids interested in trapping, now lets hope they go on to learn how to skin, handle and market fur.

Re: South Dakota Bounty coming to an end [Re: Fisher Man] #6592458
08/11/19 10:10 AM
08/11/19 10:10 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Fisherman
Might be popular with the public, but bounties do not work! Shows how little your Governor knows about wildlife Biology.Game, Fish, and Parks should be ashamed to allow this.

That is kind of an absolute. If bounties are high enough and they last long enough they certainly can have a biological impact. Not saying the numbers involved here will though.

Who is John Galt?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread