Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Canine curiosity lure #6591063
08/09/19 12:34 AM
08/09/19 12:34 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
I'm planning on making my first batch of homemade curiosity lure out of glands, with just a touch of asafoetida tincture. My question is I know I should add glycerin but should I also add sodium benzoate to the blend, or is that mostly for baits. I am thinking it can't hurt to add it to it but didn't know if it was unnecessary or not. I am planning on ordering Kellen Kaatz's Encyclopedia of Lure and Bait making but figured I'd ask here first. Thanks in advance.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Canine curiosity lure [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6591078
08/09/19 01:59 AM
08/09/19 01:59 AM
N.C MO
TONY.F Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday TONY.F  Offline
trapper

N.C MO
id say yes on the preservative especially if you have to hold it over a few seasons. unless you want a real watery lure. me myself I like a creamy gland lure. My first really successful gland lure I rotted them down hair and all the hair made it stick to what ever you smeared it on. This was for my personal use. Id be upset if I bought one that way

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Canine curiosity lure [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6592350
08/11/19 01:38 AM
08/11/19 01:38 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I wouldn't add sodium benzoate.A lure formula should be allowed to blend and age before it is "stopped".I personally don't add it to my gland lures and they stay thick for years and get better with age.If you want to add SB to yours,I would give it plenty of time to blend and age,before doing so.

Re: Canine curiosity lure [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6592415
08/11/19 08:35 AM
08/11/19 08:35 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Most folks do not realize that hair from the animal is some of the best odor producers on the animal. Training young dogs to trail we will wet a dried and fleshed hide down and drag it for the dog to follow. the hair and the skin molecules (Duff) are major parts of the tracking line for the dogs or animals to follow. I believe hair in the formulation adds odor and as stated gives stick to the product.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Canine curiosity lure [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6592450
08/11/19 09:49 AM
08/11/19 09:49 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
And the fat but some want all the fat trimmed from glands,I trim nothing,hair,fat,it all gets used and works well. Fat is not necessarily a bad thing and can be used in many different ways. A little mold don't scare me either.

Re: Canine curiosity lure [Re: Taximan] #6592661
08/11/19 05:35 PM
08/11/19 05:35 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Taximan
I wouldn't add sodium benzoate.A lure formula should be allowed to blend and age before it is "stopped".I personally don't add it to my gland lures and they stay thick for years and get better with age.If you want to add SB to yours,I would give it plenty of time to blend and age,before doing so.

x2
adding a fixative is what most do actually.

and besides the Kaatz book, you'd be wise to get all 3 Nick Wyshinski's books too.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91