No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591176
08/09/19 09:05 AM
08/09/19 09:05 AM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY

Congratulations. Lookin' good.

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591178
08/09/19 09:07 AM
08/09/19 09:07 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Awesome! Congrats

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591297
08/09/19 12:50 PM
08/09/19 12:50 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
If I'm ever in Seattle I know who to look up now. Nice place! Good luck with it.

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591299
08/09/19 01:02 PM
08/09/19 01:02 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Excellent

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591703
08/09/19 11:15 PM
08/09/19 11:15 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
As my uncle told me years ago: "You can't eat the scenery"! All real estate property needs some maintenance, whether its mowing grass, spraying weeds, shoveling snow, trimming trees, bulldozing road(s) etc. etc.. You have some therapy under your management now and it will reflect the work you invest ( Unc also said "its only work if you would rather be somewhere else"). Since you stated the price was below the assessed value why not truck on down to the county courthouse and inform them of the purchase price for a reduction in next year's property taxes. You can prove it is NOT worth the assessed value. If you do it now it may save you from having to protest a higher valuation when tax time rolls around. They should be able to adjust that (even if they don't want to) for you. Oh, and send/post your first picnic picture of you by the lake (maybe with a fish or two) as we want to see you "WORKING" LOL.

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591732
08/10/19 12:38 AM
08/10/19 12:38 AM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
Holy cow... That is too wonderful. What a catch! Looks about like my dream as well

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: run] #6591792
08/10/19 07:05 AM
08/10/19 07:05 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by run
If it was on the East Coast, it would be in the millions.

Hundreds of millions. It would be a small fortune alone having that elevation hauled in. lol

-Goofy-
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6591810
08/10/19 07:44 AM
08/10/19 07:44 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Sorry, Hobbietrapper , my estimate was way off.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: Wife] #6593038
08/12/19 10:35 AM
08/12/19 10:35 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline OP
trapper
waggler  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Wife
As my uncle told me years ago: "You can't eat the scenery"! All real estate property needs some maintenance, whether its mowing grass, spraying weeds, shoveling snow, trimming trees, bulldozing road(s) etc. etc.. You have some therapy under your management now and it will reflect the work you invest ( Unc also said "its only work if you would rather be somewhere else"). Since you stated the price was below the assessed value why not truck on down to the county courthouse and inform them of the purchase price for a reduction in next year's property taxes. You can prove it is NOT worth the assessed value. If you do it now it may save you from having to protest a higher valuation when tax time rolls around. They should be able to adjust that (even if they don't want to) for you. Oh, and send/post your first picnic picture of you by the lake (maybe with a fish or two) as we want to see you "WORKING" LOL.

The only thing on this property that really needs maintenance is the road to the lake. A US Forest Service road runs through the valley that cuts through the property from approximately the SW corner to the NE corner. The road to the lake has had no maintenance for over forty years, it's turned into a boulder strewn jeep trail that switch-backs up the hill for two miles. I started working on this road a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FuXQfQ4wg

Regarding property taxes; the property is in "timberland" tax classification and the taxes are only $600 a year, if it weren't classified as timberland the taxes would be about $8600 a year, so I'm not complaining.

No fish pictures yet but here's a short video taken from the highest point on the property about midway on the west boundary line. Video pans to the east over the the parcel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImL7abHNngU

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593049
08/12/19 10:58 AM
08/12/19 10:58 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I can't believe how low your taxes are. That is amazing.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593060
08/12/19 11:28 AM
08/12/19 11:28 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Looks like you need a dozer for that road …. Beautiful property other than the road.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593173
08/12/19 03:23 PM
08/12/19 03:23 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Looks like a little piece of heaven.

Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593198
08/12/19 04:22 PM
08/12/19 04:22 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
excellent!

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593207
08/12/19 05:09 PM
08/12/19 05:09 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by waggler
Originally Posted by Wife

The only thing on this property that really needs maintenance is the road to the lake. A US Forest Service road runs through the valley that cuts through the property from approximately the SW corner to the NE corner. The road to the lake has had no maintenance for over forty years, it's turned into a boulder strewn jeep trail that switch-backs up the hill for two miles. I started working on this road a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FuXQfQ4wg

Regarding property taxes; the property is in "timberland" tax classification and the taxes are only $600 a year, if it weren't classified as timberland the taxes would be about $8600 a year, so I'm not complaining.

No fish pictures yet but here's a short video taken from the highest point on the property about midway on the west boundary line. Video pans to the east over the the parcel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImL7abHNngU

What does "property is in timberland" mean?Do you need permission to harvest that timber?

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: upstateNY] #6593219
08/12/19 05:38 PM
08/12/19 05:38 PM
W
waggler Offline OP
trapper
waggler  Offline OP
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
Back many decades ago the State of Washington taxed people every year for the value of the timber that was standing on their property. This caused many people to cut all their timber and not reforest in order to avoid paying the "timber tax".
It didn't take a genius to realize that this was a terrible tax strategy.

When they changed the taxing structure the big timber companies (Weyerhaeuser, etc) lobbied to have a very very low tax rate for timberland, and then pay the State a 5% tax on the timber when harvested. This has actually work quite well. If you have fairly large tracts of land you can also put it in a "open space" classification and pay comparable rates. Many times there is a penalty if you then want to develop the land and change it's use and tax classification.

Yes, you do need to apply to the DNR for a timber harvest permit, generally not too big of an issue, the main concerns are fish bearing stream protection, etc..

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: I'm still pinching myself [Re: waggler] #6593233
08/12/19 06:01 PM
08/12/19 06:01 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^^
Back many decades ago the State of Washington taxed people every year for the value of the timber that was standing on their property. This caused many people to cut all their timber and not reforest in order to avoid paying the "timber tax".
It didn't take a genius to realize that this was a terrible tax strategy.

When they changed the taxing structure the big timber companies (Weyerhaeuser, etc) lobbied to have a very very low tax rate for timberland, and then pay the State a 5% tax on the timber when harvested. This has actually work quite well. If you have fairly large tracts of land you can also put it in a "open space" classification and pay comparable rates. Many times there is a penalty if you then want to develop the land and change it's use and tax classification.

Yes, you do need to apply to the DNR for a timber harvest permit, generally not too big of an issue, the main concerns are fish bearing stream protection, etc..
Not too keen on paying for land,,then needing permission to use it.In my area there is a lot of land for sale cheap,but parsels of it will be "registered marshland"Pretty much they want you to pay the taxes on it and call it yours,,but then you have to jump through hoops and do backflips and cartwheels for permission to stick a shovel in the ground.No thanks.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread