No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Tularemia in ND #6594649
08/14/19 04:39 PM
08/14/19 04:39 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
North Dakota Health professionals are asking you to watch out for tularemia. It’s a rare infectious disease that can infect animals and people.
Also called “rabbit fever,” rodents and rabbits are most likely to get the infection.

But people can become infected by inhaling contaminated aerosols and drinking contaminated water. You can also get it from a tick bite.

For prevention, you’re asked to use insect repellent, avoid mowing over dead animals and wear gloves if you have to touch dead animals.

“If I was handling a dead animal that had tularemia and had a cut on my skin, it could get into my skin that way and then I may develop a skin ulcer,” says Michelle Dethloff, an epidemiologist for the North Dakota Department of Health. “If I ran over a rabbit while I was mowing my lawn, I can inhale it — then I will have things such as a fever or signs of respiratory infection.”

The North Dakota Health Department reports four cases of tularemia this year in humans. It can be effectively treated with antibiotics.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: MJM] #6594660
08/14/19 04:49 PM
08/14/19 04:49 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Well now between this and the tapeworm thing going around someone should start selling a supplemental trappers insurance. Ha

Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: MJM] #6594663
08/14/19 04:52 PM
08/14/19 04:52 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
We had some tularemia near me last year I think, maybe the year before. I believe it may be negatively affecting our local rat population. I found a floater last year while trapping, and the landowner told me he found 4 dead rats this summer. I always wear gloves while skinning and fleshing, but dont wear anything while running my sets unless it's cold.

Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: MJM] #6594678
08/14/19 05:16 PM
08/14/19 05:16 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
I think any person who trapped and skinned muskrats without gloves picked it up, I had it when 20 I think, not tested but am almost sure it was from floater rats I skinned. I was so sick with flu like symptoms I was hoping it killed me so I would not have to keep suffering, all night and part of a day on the bathroom floor.

Born twice, die once
Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: Fishdog One] #6594709
08/14/19 05:54 PM
08/14/19 05:54 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Myself and a few other trappers I know here have had tularemia. It's a disease you don't want to get and is very serious if untreated and potentially deadly. There,s no problem processing infected rats but wear gloves, at all times, while handling and keep some disinfectant handy in the event you nick yourself. If you should happen to nick yourself disinfect the site immediately. If flu like symptoms develop seen a doctor and tell him you are a trapper and may have tularemia. Many are not aware of it and will initially consider it to be the flu.

Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: MJM] #6594760
08/14/19 07:02 PM
08/14/19 07:02 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
It is very bad when beaver get infected with it.Areas with overpopulated unmanaged beaver populations can spark an outbreak if water is low in the summer.Tularemia can spread like wildfire even to traplines where beaver have been properly managed.This will wreck traplines for a lot of other furbearers that depend on healthy beaver populations on the landscape.Beaver are the key species for the overall health of a trapline in habitat like boreal forest.
If you think a rat or beaver is sick when you skin it,open the gut and look for white coloured lesions on the liver.This is indicative of tularemia.
Rabbits can also harbour outbreaks of tularemia and liver spots are also indicitave of the disease in rabbits.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Tularemia in ND [Re: MJM] #6594826
08/14/19 08:09 PM
08/14/19 08:09 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Better not tell my wife about any of this. I'd be skinning with a butter knife.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread