Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Any truth to this. #6596656
08/17/19 10:21 AM
08/17/19 10:21 AM
Montana
A
Antelope Montana Offline OP
trapper
Antelope Montana  Offline OP
trapper
A

Montana
If not we need to fight back on these false reports.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/16/us/alaska-salmon-hot-water-trnd/index.html

Re: Any truth to this. [Re: Antelope Montana] #6596691
08/17/19 11:10 AM
08/17/19 11:10 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Absolutely true.
I video'd this in the middle of July. There were way more dead fish up in the grass-line (high tide line). It was like this for miles and miles.
The fish started coming in the Ugashik river in good numbers on July 8, we caught 4500 pounds that day. However, a strange thing happened that day, the fish came in on the flood tide, got about three miles upstream from our fishing site, our fishing site is about eight six miles upstream from the ocean. When the tide turned and started to ebb, all the fish went back out to the ocean (those that didn't ended up dying). The biologist shut us down when he saw what was happening.
The previous two weeks or so had record breaking high temperatures, well into the 80's. The river water that should have been in the mid 50's got like bath water; up to 75 degrees.
Any fish that got into the river and even those near the mouth encountered low oxygen levels and died.
Most of the fish stayed out in the ocean, the weather finally cooled down and we got some rain which cooled things down. They reopened our fishing on the 19th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihktDz5Sr5U

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Any truth to this. [Re: Antelope Montana] #6596692
08/17/19 11:13 AM
08/17/19 11:13 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
They are dying here, but it is mostly humpy's so we don't care, plus they are faring better than the spruce trees.

Back in July I watch salmon swim back down the creek by the hundreds in the late afternoon 3 separate times basically back down to the cooler glacier river (my guess). It may have been a daily occurrence, I was not there every day. Never saw this before in 27 years. Probably not the best way to conserve energy swimming back and forth up and down the creek every day.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/17/19 11:31 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman