No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6597759
08/19/19 01:16 AM
08/19/19 01:16 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Just because someone is willing to do something most people wouldn't consider because it is a horrendous act does not mean they're crazy. Lacking a conscience isn't crazy nor is not placing a value on your own life or others.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: ratbrain] #6597857
08/19/19 09:08 AM
08/19/19 09:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by ratbrain
SOOOO Everytime the politicians say "expand the background check" or "toughen it up" I wonder what they'll want to add to it??? From an Illinois point of view.

you make an excellent point what could they possibly do that doesn't step Way over the line that they haven't already done in ILL . the reason a WI resident can't get a ILL CCL is that WI doctors don't report to ILL. to even look at a gun in a gun store you have to have a FOID card , you haven't even purchaed a gun yet just to go look at purchasing one you must register yourself as a Firearms Owner and get approved.

never mind you could be an ILL resident who never goes to the doctor or only goes to the Doctor in WI , IA , IN , KY , MO

there was even an ILL mass shooter no one likes to talk about , he had no FOID card because he bought the rifle a 10 round SKS in 1991 and while there were several things that should have prevented him form owning a rifle or having a FOID card his convictions were also not recorded properly, of course he used a 10 round gun with a fixed magazine to deliver what the media called fully automatic fire hundreds of rounds ,but he was shooting at Republican US senators and representatives. who had a security detail the media likes to just forget that ever happen because it don't fit the narrative they want to hear

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6597880
08/19/19 09:48 AM
08/19/19 09:48 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
SOOOO Everytime the politicians say "expand the background check" or "toughen it up" I wonder what they'll want to add to it??? From an Illinois point of view.

you make an excellent point what could they possibly do that doesn't step Way over the line that they haven't already done in ILL . the reason a WI resident can't get a ILL CCL is that WI doctors don't report to ILL. to even look at a gun in a gun store you have to have a FOID card , you haven't even purchaed a gun yet just to go look at purchasing one you must register yourself as a Firearms Owner and get approved.

never mind you could be an ILL resident who never goes to the doctor or only goes to the Doctor in WI , IA , IN , KY , MO

there was even an ILL mass shooter no one likes to talk about , he had no FOID card because he bought the rifle a 10 round SKS in 1991 and while there were several things that should have prevented him form owning a rifle or having a FOID card his convictions were also not recorded properly, of course he used a 10 round gun with a fixed magazine to deliver what the media called fully automatic fire hundreds of rounds ,but he was shooting at Republican US senators and representatives. who had a security detail the media likes to just forget that ever happen because it don't fit the narrative they want to hear

Thanks Pete. Almost forgot that guy at the baseball diamond (That is the shooter you referenced?). Everytime ILL or Fed politicians say add to the background check you gotta wonder "What now"??? Ours in ILL are tough now.

Last edited by ratbrain; 08/19/19 09:49 AM.
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6597911
08/19/19 11:08 AM
08/19/19 11:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

you make an excellent point what could they possibly do that doesn't step Way over the line that they haven't already done in ILL . the reason a WI resident can't get a ILL CCL is that WI doctors don't report to ILL. to even look at a gun in a gun store you have to have a FOID card , you haven't even purchased a gun yet just to go look at purchasing one you must register yourself as a Firearms Owner and get approved.

Thanks Pete. Almost forgot that guy at the baseball diamond (That is the shooter you referenced?). Everytime ILL or Fed politicians say add to the background check you gotta wonder "What now"??? Ours in ILL are tough now.

yes the guy who targeted republican baseball players practicing for the Rep v Dem baseball game in DC/Virginia

think about this , right now these people are convinced a rifle is the answer , they let the tv and movies guide their decisions. so you have 1 person behind a weapon that fires 1 projectile in 1 direction at a time.

when that becomes unavailable they are going to get creative Boston marathon creative where they don't even need to be present to "win".

now I wasn't there but I think if you ask an Iraq / Afghanistan vet would you rather face one enemy with a rifle who is making it very apparent they are the enemy or a bunch of hidden IEDs they would be able to tell you what they prefer.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6597920
08/19/19 11:22 AM
08/19/19 11:22 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Take that in a slightly different direction GCP, if semi-auto rifles are banned, that still leaves shotguns, which I would bet are as effective or more so even when loaded up with buckshot.

Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6597926
08/19/19 11:31 AM
08/19/19 11:31 AM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
I really do think that some folks need to actively take a more proactive approve to defending themselves. The holistic approve of knowing radios and other tactics is more important than just away a firearm

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: tlguy] #6597955
08/19/19 12:41 PM
08/19/19 12:41 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tlguy
Take that in a slightly different direction GCP, if semi-auto rifles are banned, that still leaves shotguns, which I would bet are as effective or more so even when loaded up with buckshot.

or people who learn to aim.

the world record for most hits at 300 meters in 25 seconds was set buy a bolt action 19th century rifle with a fixed 5 round magazine to be fair this sport limits even those with semi auto rifles to fire with only 5 rounds in the magazine but they run bolt along semi and have nearly identical scores .

Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: FairbanksLS] #6598406
08/19/19 10:27 PM
08/19/19 10:27 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by gray dog
Just because someone is willing to do something most people wouldn't consider because it is a horrendous act does not mean they're crazy. Lacking a conscience isn't crazy nor is not placing a value on your own life or others.

Now I have to question your sanity, with all due respect.
Name me one mass shooter who had a just cause for doing what they did. Without that, one can conclude with certainty that there is something wrong with that individuals brain.
One can throw a word like "crazy" around and argue about what the definition of "crazy" is, but the bottom line is that mass shooters without a plausible cause are mentally disturbed and should not be on the street, nor in their mom's basement. They should be dead, which seems to be the ultimate goal of most of them.

Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: 52Carl] #6598418
08/19/19 10:54 PM
08/19/19 10:54 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Here is a question and I am not happy with the answer. What right does the State of Illinois have as I am a Wisconsin Resident, to take away my right to defend myself,
when they have some of the most stringent firearm laws in the country and yet have 5 folks killed and 40 wounded every week. (that be on the low side) in one city alone
As my father, an old WWII vet would say, that is some pee poor shooting.
Well he did not actually say that but the profanity filter cut him off. laugh
Back to my point, how can a State Line change my right to defend myself or others?
I thought the 2nd A was national.

Zim

Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6598550
08/20/19 07:23 AM
08/20/19 07:23 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I ask myself that same question every time I have to leave my weapon at home before crossing the Delaware river into New Jersey or the northern Pennsylvania border into New York.

Carrying a concealed weapon is perfectly legal (as constitutional rights should be) here in PA. But, as soon as I cross one of those borders, I instantly become a felon for exercising that right. In NJ it will get me a mandatory two years in jail. Three and a half years is the typical sentence for that act in New York.

Eh...wot?

Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: James] #6598591
08/20/19 08:17 AM
08/20/19 08:17 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
I avoid the non free states. Legal to carry a loaded long gun in vehicle here.

Old girlfriend looked me up a few years ago and invited me to come visit her in New Jersey. When I said I won't go to NJ she said that she is in Chicago on business a few times a month maybe I could meet her there.... laugh

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Speaking even more of assault rifles [Re: Zim] #6598628
08/20/19 09:18 AM
08/20/19 09:18 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Zim
Here is a question and I am not happy with the answer. What right does the State of Illinois have as I am a Wisconsin Resident, to take away my right to defend myself,
when they have some of the most stringent firearm laws in the country and yet have 5 folks killed and 40 wounded every week. (that be on the low side) in one city alone
As my father, an old WWII vet would say, that is some pee poor shooting.
Well he did not actually say that but the profanity filter cut him off. laugh
Back to my point, how can a State Line change my right to defend myself or others?
I thought the 2nd A was national.

Zim

so technically they don't have the right to keep you from defending yourself. but it is a catch 22.

as you may recall shortly before WI got concealed carry there had been several cases of people who carried concealed illegally but had to defend themselves in a justified use of force.
a pizza deliver guy was one of these cases. under old WI law pre act 35 and 51 you had to keep a handgun unloaded and out of reach while in a vehicle , as a pizza delivery guy he was ambushed just feet outside his vehicle there fore he could not have exited the car gone to the truck retrieved and loaded his handgun and then holsters grabbed the pizza and walked to the door. therefor the law was ruled as unconstitutional as it applied to that driver in that incident.
we were however getting to the point there had been 5 or 6 such cases.
when the legislature adopted act 35 and 51 to keep from having the existing laws deemed unconstitutional as they apply to everyone and creating defacto concealed carry.
35 gave us concealed carry and 51 allowed open carry of a loaded handgun in a car.

but as you can see from MCDonald vs The City of Chicago you might have to fight all the way to the supreme court to keep from being prosecuted for using your right.

If they caught you carrying without having to use it in a justified case , then you didn't have the "need"

it is Pee poor shooting or what your father actually said

it is pee poor shooting for a reason , they have no training nor practice. just a tool they do not know how to use or handle. compounded by machismo attitude and low expectations.

pistols are inherently more accurate than 90% of pistol users once the shooter knows how to use the tool results get much better.

but because so many people have such a low expectation for a pistol , not very good is acceptable to most.

and yet people plane old civilians actually are very successful in using a pistol to defend themselves . often because the range is so close just beyond arms reach.

we ran a stage once with a target 6 feet out of the starting box , on the buzzer you drew and fired 2 rounds into this target from retention , not bringing the gun up but shooting as soon as the arm had rotated about 90 degrees from exiting the holster some might call it shooting from the hip , retention is a little higher than the hip more like shooting from the arm pit but similar concept , only one person shot low but still hit in the groin of the target. all of about 12 guys hit the target 6 feet way most perfect center mass and fast granted these are well practiced shooters but some of them had never tried this not aiming before.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread