No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: ~ADC~] #6599205
08/21/19 12:31 AM
08/21/19 12:31 AM
Iowa
R
ridgeview72 Offline
trapper
ridgeview72  Offline
trapper
R

Iowa
ADC....you could build a skinning rig that is held down by rear pickup tire...think in Steve & Lori Gappa had coyote video after a catch they skinned in the field...first would pull out of back of truck skinner base they would place ahead of rear truck tire then drive fwd until tire on top of base...then would pull out skinning pole with hand crank that would slip into base.

No longer have video or I could have taken & posted pic.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: ridgeview72] #6599208
08/21/19 12:42 AM
08/21/19 12:42 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by ridgeview72
ADC....you could build a skinning rig that is held down by rear pickup tire...think in Steve & Lori Gappa had coyote video after a catch they skinned in the field...first would pull out of back of truck skinner base they would place ahead of rear truck tire then drive fwd until tire on top of base...then would pull out skinning pole with hand crank that would slip into base.

No longer have video or I could have taken & posted pic.

Thanks. I have made something similar to that. I never saw theirs, but I'm not surprised others have thought about doing it that way. I think there was even a video on here where a guy opened, I think foxes, then parked on their back feet and pulled them that way. There's definitely more than one way to skin a... well, about everything. lol

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599214
08/21/19 01:08 AM
08/21/19 01:08 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Larry I do have a skinning machine at the shop. I’m not trying to make a living trapping or survive off the income. I get paid to trap on vacation. Half the time I peel coyotes by hand rather than use the machine anyways.

This will be just a few coons a morning after work or a couple coyotes. I love skinning the last ones I killed right before I hit the shop. Figure why not do them all when they’re hot as butter. I’m not trying to break any records.

Thanks for the ideas. My original thought was a gambrel with a rope, but I’m thinking I might try some #5 chain and a quick link with the gambrel with choke collars. That’s how my gambrel is set up on my machine. Also looking I like Wiebes opening knife with replacement blades. Might beat the razor blades I’ve used in the past.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599231
08/21/19 05:02 AM
08/21/19 05:02 AM
Covington, VA
D
Dewey S Offline
trapper
Dewey S  Offline
trapper
D

Covington, VA
I have skinned many animals right off the tailgate of my truck. I use a dog choker chain from Walmart and attach it to the hook that is in the bed of the truck. Then just slip the other end of the choker on the back foot of the animal. I've done Coyote, coon, fox and bobcat that way. It's not something I do all the time, it just depends on what mood I'm in and the weather that day. The animals do skin easier on the line and it sure is nice to not have to mess with them when you get home.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599234
08/21/19 05:18 AM
08/21/19 05:18 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I built a beam that folds down flat for fleshing away from home. I have decided that putting up fur while away from home is not worth the effort. Not without a real fur shed at least. Stuff dries VERY slowly without heat and fans, its just not worth the effort. Skinning coyotes as you go, 2-3 at a time, is a good way for me to do things. Skinning with pickup headlights, or a lantern or a headlamp or all 3 whatever, causes expensive mistakes. Especially with good cats. Never deal with green belly either. I don't care how cold it is green belly is a problem if you have dead coyotes in a truck bed all day. Yes can take a half hour to stop and pelt 3 coyotes but your not trying to sew an eyehole back together later either. Big eye can turn a 1000 dollar cat into a 300 dollar cat. It know that isn't supposed to happen BUT IT DOES.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599236
08/21/19 05:23 AM
08/21/19 05:23 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I also keep a butchers steel in the pickup door. Useful for pulling front legs out as well as keeping a pelting knife razor sharp. An Arkansas oil stone is kept at camp in case its needed. Hard to imagine a trapper that wont sharpen a knife couple times a season and use a steel as he skins.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: danny clifton] #6599243
08/21/19 06:14 AM
08/21/19 06:14 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I also keep a butchers steel in the pickup door. Useful for pulling front legs out as well as keeping a pelting knife razor sharp. An Arkansas oil stone is kept at camp in case its needed. Hard to imagine a trapper that wont sharpen a knife couple times a season and use a steel as he skins.

Thanks Danny. I use a sharpened metal dowel in the fur shed but didn’t want to take it out. The steel makes sense. That’s the kind of stuff I was hoping to get.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599258
08/21/19 06:56 AM
08/21/19 06:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
don't forget to put your tail splitter and tail puller in the truck also if you use them. cheap slip joint pliers are sure handy. so is a spare knife. if one gets too dull to steel grab the other till you can stone the dull one.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599429
08/21/19 10:14 AM
08/21/19 10:14 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Larry I do have a skinning machine at the shop. I’m not trying to make a living trapping or survive off the income. I get paid to trap on vacation. Half the time I peel coyotes by hand rather than use the machine anyways.

This will be just a few coons a morning after work or a couple coyotes. I love skinning the last ones I killed right before I hit the shop. Figure why not do them all when they’re hot as butter. I’m not trying to break any records.

Thanks for the ideas. My original thought was a gambrel with a rope, but I’m thinking I might try some #5 chain and a quick link with the gambrel with choke collars. That’s how my gambrel is set up on my machine. Also looking I like Wiebes opening knife with replacement blades. Might beat the razor blades I’ve used in the past.

If you have time to skin them warm in the field and are just running a few I would still run them off my machine and get rid of the carcasses the next day. Personally I would not want to hassle with hauling everything I need to skin just for a few critters but I have no issue with those who want to. I don't see a need for a portable skinning machine. I think of the time to mount and unmount it . Especially for a few critters again. Just my thought. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599465
08/21/19 11:01 AM
08/21/19 11:01 AM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
If you're like me, you have to skin some on the line, or the truck gets too full grin

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599487
08/21/19 11:41 AM
08/21/19 11:41 AM
West Virginia
J
John Houben Offline
trapper
John Houben  Offline
trapper
J

West Virginia
To each their own. But, here are my thoughts. For canine trapping, I believe skinning at the set is one of the best time management techniques there is. Every time you handle the animal is time and energy spent. My goal is to pick the fox or coyote up once and put it down once. There are the same number of minutes in the day no matter when you skin. However, it costs you time if you handle the animal multiple times instead of just once. The key is to have everything ready and at your finger tips. Just in front of the tailgate I have my skinning knife and everything else I need to skin and gland the animal. The fox or coyote comes off the ground onto the tailgate, the cuts are made, the hide is pulled and the carcass drops to the ground. I dispose of the carcass most times at the set location and in a discrete manner. If the set location does not permit this I skin at the next one that does. Handle the animal once. I skin horizontally instead of vertically and find it much easier. The anchor for my gamble is in the center of the truck bed about the body length of a coyote ahead of the edge of the tailgate.

Again, regarding time management . . . a ten or twelve hour day is a ten or twelve hour day. It is faster and easier to skin warm and handle the carcass once.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599499
08/21/19 12:03 PM
08/21/19 12:03 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
All of this is null and void when you talk water trapping. Hehe. Everything is frozen.lol

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: Steelflight] #6599514
08/21/19 12:37 PM
08/21/19 12:37 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Steelflight
All of this is null and void when you talk water trapping. Hehe. Everything is frozen.lol

Silly water trappers! Lol. Portable for me is going to be four foot of chain and a gambrel. The guys I used to coon hunt with would skin with a rope in the field less weight to haul back to the truck. They were done in just over a minute or two . I’m not going to be far enough from home to justify a mount on the truck. Thanks for the tips from those that do it.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599515
08/21/19 12:44 PM
08/21/19 12:44 PM
Iowa
1187 shooter Offline
trapper
1187 shooter  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Use an old snare wrap it around a tree limb slip a foot through the snare and close it.

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599522
08/21/19 12:51 PM
08/21/19 12:51 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Some of my sites I trap I'm out of the truck for 2 or 3 hours so skinning yotes and big coon in the field is a must.
I use a piece of mule tape and this.
[Linked Image]
And they close down to this
[Linked Image]
I only crimp the tag end sideof the double crimp.
I also make single looped ones to hang critters in the shed.
Makes good use of what is left of a mangled CR

Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599546
08/21/19 01:33 PM
08/21/19 01:33 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Online content
trapper
jeff karsten  Online Content
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
My setup is similar to wetdogs top loop doesn't cinch tight bottom loop the tag end is crimped it can be wraped around a tree, post or limb skin 1 leg and hook on to the other I cut off the tail and pull the bone out latter carcass can be thrown in the truck or disposed of with landowners permission

olden tyred
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599581
08/21/19 02:56 PM
08/21/19 02:56 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Not a bad idea there.

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599585
08/21/19 03:13 PM
08/21/19 03:13 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I have always checked one day and skinned the next, I like the idea of the bugs being dead and the less of mess after waiting overnight if a guy hits a artery around the head/neck.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: WadeRyan] #6599677
08/21/19 05:55 PM
08/21/19 05:55 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
When I was trapping a bit seriously I often skinned on the line. That meant no carcass to haul away, and a draw bait. At one point I used a tree gripping bracket that I could push up higher with a pole. Then trapping were trees were essentially nonexistent, I made two or three different hitch mounted boat winch skinning rigs. At other times I had walk-in traplines where trimming a few juniper limbs was enough to avoid having to tote yotes out over rough terrain.

I always considered recycling carcasses as critter feed was a plus. It probably saved a few live creatures. Of course that might not work if you are trapping within a short distance of someone's house.

Last edited by Furvor; 08/21/19 05:57 PM.
Re: Skinning on the go [Re: Law Dog] #6599686
08/21/19 06:09 PM
08/21/19 06:09 PM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I have always checked one day and skinned the next, I like the idea of the bugs being dead and the less of mess after waiting overnight if a guy hits a artery around the head/neck.

I agree, cold is a little tougher, but a whole lot less messy

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread