No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"fake" cops pulling people over ? #6599959
08/21/19 11:43 PM
08/21/19 11:43 PM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline OP
trapper
kyron4  Offline OP
trapper
K

Indiana
Just read another story of someone pretending to be a cop with lights and all stopping people on the highway and robbing them. Happens more than you would think. Daughter thought if an unmarked stops you and they are not in uniform you can drive away. Told her I never heard that. I have 2 daughters in their 20's who drive the highways to go to work at night , how can you protect yourself from "fake" cops ? -Thanks

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6599960
08/21/19 11:50 PM
08/21/19 11:50 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
If they are pulled over, and the officer isn’t in uniform have them call 911 on the phone and say they are being pulled over and want to ensure it is a real officer, and give the location. The dispatcher can confirm if it is a police officer.

Also, only pull over in a well lit area, turn on flashers and slowly proceed to a parking lot of nearby.

That is what Delaware state police recommend anyway.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6599967
08/22/19 12:09 AM
08/22/19 12:09 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline OP
trapper
kyron4  Offline OP
trapper
K

Indiana
Good advice, be hard to see at night till they were right at your window.

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600000
08/22/19 05:14 AM
08/22/19 05:14 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
its not always fake cops doing the stealing. never ever never tell LE if you have cash. those crooked depts. will likely still find it though. their drug dogs alert on anybody they want to search. do a little research of your own. there are some police depts. out there that steal cash. no evidence of a crime and no charges filed. it is very expensive to get your money back. a lot of court time and attorney fees are involved. its all quasi legal as well.

just because its a real cop doesn't mean you are safe other than getting a ticket because you chose to drive in an unsafe manner of some sort.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600002
08/22/19 05:17 AM
08/22/19 05:17 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
P.S. calling 911 and driving along looking for a populated area or parking lot or whatever might get you shot. especially at 3 in the morning if the nearest street light is 10 miles away. or more.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600006
08/22/19 05:50 AM
08/22/19 05:50 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Dash cams or similar devices like it are excellent for le interactions. You can prepare yourself how you'd like with the perfect plan on how to deal with a situation IE: call 911, drive slow to a lit area ask for ID etc but when the wrench is thrown into the mix and those plans deviate from what you had pictured, you're going to regret not having video. There's no right answer, just good points.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600051
08/22/19 07:31 AM
08/22/19 07:31 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Back in 1992, two guys pretending to be cops abducted a girl in the city I work named Candice Harms. They followed her to her house and stopped her literally in her driveway. She was literally steps from being safe. Tehy told her they were police officers, so she stopped for them. They raped her and chopped her up, and if I remember right ate part of her. They buried her half in the ground in winter, and she froze in, and they had to put up a tent around her body and heat it for two weeks to defrost the ground so they could dig her up. Guys from my work told me about how they had to go out and deliver diesel fuel for generators, and could smell her.
Candice Harms

DO NOT pull over for unmarked cars, or any other police officer you aren't sure of. Drive slowly to a busy well lit area, call 911 and confirm with a dispatcher that you're actually being stopped.

Last edited by loosegoose; 08/22/19 07:39 AM.
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600062
08/22/19 07:43 AM
08/22/19 07:43 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Another important point. Never ever consent to a search. No matter what they say!!! The worst thing in my truck is probably a crusty old pickle off of a sandwich under my seat, but I’m not letting anyone search it without a warrant. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that they busted a dirty cop for planting drugs in innocent people’s vehicles. There were multiple people doing hard time because of him. 99.999% of the guys out there are great people doing a hard job protecting our community, but I’m not taking any chances.

Thanks all you guys in uniform for what you do.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600113
08/22/19 08:31 AM
08/22/19 08:31 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I consented to a search of my vehicle years ago just for the sake of getting along and because there wasn't anything to hide in it. When the cop started reading open mail I had in there and word for word a 3 page letter I had from friend I decided I'd never do that again. 45 minute stop and never got a ticket for anything.

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600133
08/22/19 08:57 AM
08/22/19 08:57 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Keep in mind there are agencies that still utilize unmarked cruisers. Folks who outfit unmarked cruisers should take that into consideration and know that is a big concern with motorists. I'd contact your agency that patrols your city/town for information regarding the concern. I've seen many get jammed up due to trying things that someone did in a different state. Too many variables regarding laws that may or not apply.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600177
08/22/19 09:40 AM
08/22/19 09:40 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
You make a call here now it better be hands free. New State law...Im sure even in Park but running they would ticket you.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600188
08/22/19 10:06 AM
08/22/19 10:06 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
DO NOT pull over for unmarked cars

How does one distinguish between unmarked and low profile cruisers with their emergency lights on that approach your from the rear at night in areas that are unlit and poor visibility? There are unmarked cruisers that are ghost out that some have to take a second look to see the department name on them during the day.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600200
08/22/19 10:25 AM
08/22/19 10:25 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I say pull over. More likely to get shot by a nervous cop than an imposter

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600221
08/22/19 10:38 AM
08/22/19 10:38 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Here in my home area I got a pretty good feel for what is real and what is not.. My daughter some years back had a phony unmarked light her up. She knew it wasn't right pulled over, got better look then drove off. Car that did that didn't follow. Young guy was busted few weeks later when did it again , was some kinda goof ball..
Knowing how many different type vehicles they now use here unmarked. I could see where if you were out of you local area might not know what is real and what isn't..
I would hope I could tell difference..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: danny clifton] #6600224
08/22/19 10:40 AM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by danny clifton
its not always fake cops doing the stealing. never ever never tell LE if you have cash. those crooked depts. will likely still find it though. their drug dogs alert on anybody they want to search. do a little research of your own. there are some police depts. out there that steal cash. no evidence of a crime and no charges filed. it is very expensive to get your money back. a lot of court time and attorney fees are involved. its all quasi legal as well.

just because its a real cop doesn't mean you are safe other than getting a ticket because you chose to drive in an unsafe manner of some sort.

Dash cams are a good tool to have and vid everything with your cell phone with automatic download to your cloud so it can't be erased.

No Jab.
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: TDHP] #6600225
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by TDHP
DO NOT pull over for unmarked cars

How does one distinguish between unmarked and low profile cruisers with their emergency lights on that approach your from the rear at night in areas that are unlit and poor visibility? There are unmarked cruisers that are ghost out that some have to take a second look to see the department name on them during the day.

We build unmarked cars that just get used for detectives, I don't think they ever use the lights and sirens though. Certainly not to conduct routine traffic stops. Regarding the "ghosted" look, some states/cities have laws that say all police cars have to be marked, but don't say what color they have to be, so departments will do things like put black decals on black vehicles, with ILS (inside light systems) light bars in the front and rear, because officers like to be able to hide. If you're not sure just call 911 and ask a dispatcher or at least drive slowly with hazards on to a well lit busy area.

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: loosegoose] #6600412
08/22/19 04:33 PM
08/22/19 04:33 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by loosegoose
We build unmarked cars that just get used for detectives, I don't think they ever use the lights and sirens though. Certainly not to conduct routine traffic stops. Regarding the "ghosted" look, some states/cities have laws that say all police cars have to be marked, but don't say what color they have to be, so departments will do things like put black decals on black vehicles, with ILS (inside light systems) light bars in the front and rear, because officers like to be able to hide. If you're not sure just call 911 and ask a dispatcher or at least drive slowly with hazards on to a well lit busy area.

Not all agencies operate on the same policy and procedures, just because your detectives don't conduct mv stops doesn't mean others don't. Plenty of brass out there doing what needs to be done if they see a violation, all the way up to the chiefs. Nothing routine about traffic stops either. When it comes to being stopped in areas with low to no lighting sometimes depending on where you are, the next area with "ideal" perfect lighting conditions could be miles down the road. Now you have other officers responding based off of the transmissions from the primary officer.

If you roll solo back up could be miles away, whats rolling through your mind during this "routine" stop on a dark road with what appears to be a vehicle occupied x's 3 and you know this because you got your spot light along with every other light the cruiser is outfitted with on it? What is the reason for the stop? Revoc for insurance, expired reg, you confirm the ro operating and information coming back is suspended etc? If the officer is good and knows what he or she is doing in regards to keeping their composure, they will be very descriptive on the operators driving transmitting locations etc to alert the officers on approach if any. I don't know about you but I sure can't tell the difference between an unmarked, low profile or even a slicktop cruiser with their blues, takedowns and other white lighting that is in my rear view mirror on a dark road. At what point does it become failure to stop? You recommending not pulling over for cruisers at night if I am unsure if they the law or not?

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: kyron4] #6600426
08/22/19 04:43 PM
08/22/19 04:43 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
You see the chargers and suv's with the tinted windows and push bars that are littered all over the streets? Old police vehicles with department names removed that are sold to the public via auction for short money?? The majority of them roll around on the streets with the push bar, spotlight and have a rear antenna still mounted on them.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: TDHP] #6600462
08/22/19 05:19 PM
08/22/19 05:19 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Here when we decommission our cars, we take the spotlights and any antennas off, and we don't have push bars. There are some that roll around here, but they're not from our department. As far it being failure to stop, if I'm unsure if the guy/gal trying to pull me over is legit, I'll call 911 and ask, and if the dispatcher confirms that Ian officer is trying to pull me over I'll happily pull over.
Personally I don't care whether it's legal or not. I'll be teaching not to pull over for unmarked cars without calling and asking; I'd rather my daughters end up with a ticket for failure to stop than end up chopped up half buried and rotting in a cornfield somewhere.

Re: "fake" cops pulling people over ? [Re: DelawareRob] #6600470
08/22/19 05:28 PM
08/22/19 05:28 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
If they are pulled over, and the officer isn’t in uniform have them call 911 on the phone and say they are being pulled over and want to ensure it is a real officer, and give the location. The dispatcher can confirm if it is a police officer.

Also, only pull over in a well lit area, turn on flashers and slowly proceed to a parking lot of nearby.

That is what Delaware state police recommend anyway.

Unfortunately do that stuff in wrong area or cop an go down dead in fullisade bullets or if lucky, stay alive with shot out tires or spray mace in face, bunch more charges, eluding, resting arrest, interference official acts. Loose ur driver license, they come up charges, yes there crooked cops in Iowa. But go outstate, it worse, tougher cops, like Illinois. Close here, I never care for Illinois other countryside, seems like here out on freeway, 18 miles from Illinois, u get passed an almost always rude Illinois drivers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread